• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rosenblatt Securities: "Buy" Rating to AMD Stock, "Sell" for Intel

Wanna bet? I say that in a month starting today Intel will give a higher return rate.
The loser writes a limerick praising the company who's stock won.

Pff. I'm ready to bet that Intel's stock will go up and AMD's will drop. You can up the ante if you wish. ;)

A month? Maybe. But let's wait for threadripper to launch before we start waving out blue fanboy flags.

I would bet you quite a lot that Intel will drop within a year, and AMD will be above $15 within 1.5 years. But before we bet, I want to make sure I am not taking money from a 12-year old.

Why do you think Intel is undervalued? I actually want to hear what your supporting arguments are. You really don't seem to get how much AMD has an Architectural advantage over Intel right now...

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Wanna bet? I say that in a month starting today Intel will give a higher return rate.
The loser writes a limerick praising the company who's stock won.

Pff. I'm ready to bet that Intel's stock will go up and AMD's will drop. You can up the ante if you wish. ;)
I see that you always with the Intel no matter what. I'd wait with your opinions and bets. you don't want to be disappointed and lose cash don't you?
Intel's stock is going down at the moment and I would stick to this as an indicator. I'm sure it will go up again since that's how stock market works. Up and downs but up for Intel within month is a huge exaggeration.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
... You really don't seem to get how much AMD has an Architectural advantage over Intel right now...

While you don't seem to understand resources and how many times Intel can buy AMD with cash to spare.
Intel is a juggernaut and while doesn't automatically mean better products, it means they can and will respond to anything (a few illegal discounts were all it took for them to stave off Athlon64, then they unleashed Core and AMD was left to recover for a decade). Maintaining a competitive advantage against intel requires threading very, very carefully.
I'm hoping AMD has learned its lessons this time, but they're still the one fighting uphill.

A month? Maybe. But let's wait for threadripper to launch before we start waving out blue fanboy flags.
Why are you talking about Threadripper so much? This is such a niche product it's announcement had hardly any impact on AMD's stock - let alone Intel's.
Why do you want to wait for the launch?
It's not like we'll be surprised by the performance. It's just two 8-core Ryzens glued together, so it's upper limited.

I would bet you quite a lot that Intel will drop within a year, and AMD will be above $15 within 1.5 years. But before we bet, I want to make sure I am not taking money from a 12-year old.

Pfff. If I wanted to bet money on this, I'd just buy an option.
But we can drop the limerick idea, if you feel better with other form of poetry. :)

Why do you think Intel is undervalued? I actually want to hear what your supporting arguments are. You really don't seem to get how much AMD has an Architectural advantage over Intel right now...
Fundamentals, mostly. :)
I know financial statements aren't as fun to read as CPU reviews, but they tend to give a better stock forecast. :p

While you don't seem to understand resources and how many times Intel can buy AMD with cash to spare.

To be clear, are you saying Intel is about to buy AMD?

If not, you should shut up. This argument always makes me laugh. Money is incredibly important.

But you know what is more important than money? Time.

It will take time for Intel to design a new arch from the ground up (One that likely utilizes a CCX-ish setup). All the money in the world will not buy a new arch in 1 month. Only a handful of genius can even design this stuff buddy.

Why are you talking about Threadripper so much? This is such a niche product it's announcement had hardly any impact on AMD's stock - let alone Intel's.
Why do you want to wait for the launch?
It's not like we'll be surprised by the performance. It's just two 8-core Ryzens glued together, so it's upper limited.

Pfff. If I wanted to bet money on this, I'd just buy an option.
But we can drop the limerick idea, if you feel better with other form of poetry. :)

I know financial statements aren't as fun to read as CPU reviews, but they tend to give a better stock forecast. :p

Alright kid lol. Threadripper is not "niche". The server market is the holy grail, and in fact PC gaming is "niche" compared to it.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Fundamentals nice. Financial statements are one thing bro. Stock forecast is like weather. Never seen accurate weather forecast longer than 2 days forward(sometimes even that fails). Stock market is the same thing. If you base your stock market forecasts just on financial statements and you bet money on it you are screwed. There's more there to look at than financial statement. I'm sure you 'll get there some day. Now that's my forecast :)

Fundamentals nice. Financial statements are one thing bro. Stock forecast is like weather. Never seen accurate weather forecast longer than 2 days forward(sometimes even that fails). Stock market is the same thing. If you base your stock market forecasts just on financial statements and you bet money on it you are screwed. There's more there to look at than financial statement. I'm sure you 'll get there some day. Now that's my forecast :)

Well, no. Stock is really not like weather. But I can tell you, forecasting weather is a lot more fun (and IMO a lot more difficult). :)
There is a very good reason why weather forecasts are good up to 2-3 days.

But stocks? Stocks are simple as long as you can live with the volatility. Again, in case of companies like Intel: large, stable, paying dividend and with high physical assets, this is less of a problem. Intel has huge potential, huge R&D and huge free cash. You look at their balance sheet and it's pretty much perfect.

AMD is all about the know-how, as fixed capital is tiny (much like any form of diversification). There's not much to value beside future expectations.

For people that don't like balance sheets and boring valuation, here are some pretty graphs: :)
https://simplywall.st/compare/NasdaqGS:INTC-NasdaqCM:AMD
2 most important things to look at: share price vs expected future cashflows and balance sheet structure.
Intel is priced below cashflows, so it's expected to grow, if nothing extraordinary happens.
AMD is priced WAY above cashflows, so investors already expect a big change in sales and profit margin. It's being verified by reality.
Keep in mind that lately AMD stock is growing on rumors and goes down on actual data (e.g. first Ryzen benchmarks, 2017Q1 results etc).

Alright kid lol. Threadripper is not "niche". The server market is the holy grail, and in fact PC gaming is "niche" compared to it.
Threadripper is not a server CPU...

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Well, no. Stock is really not like weather. But I can tell you, forecasting weather is a lot more fun (and IMO a lot more difficult). :)
There is a very good reason why weather forecasts are good up to 2-3 days.

But stocks? Stocks are simple as long as you can live with the volatility. Again, in case of companies like Intel: large, stable, paying dividend and with high physical assets, this is less of a problem. Intel has huge potential, huge R&D and huge free cash. You look at their balance sheet and it's pretty much perfect..

I can imagine that you are all very wise and know how and know well but with stock market there so many variables. Any person who is playing stock will tell you that there so many things that will influence stock market and of course things that you wont be able to predict that will have which may have a huge impact on the stock for this or other company. I got a lot of savings in the stocks and play it recently. Maybe you have a different approach but nobody will tell you that the forecast is 100% accurate. just like weather. I think you have missed the point of my previous post but that's ok

I can imagine that you are all very wise and know how and know well but with stock market there so many variables. Any person who is playing stock will tell you that there so many things that will influence stock market and of course things that you wont be able to predict that will have which may have a huge impact on the stock for this or other company. I got a lot of savings in the stocks and play it recently. Maybe you have a different approach but nobody will tell you that the forecast is 100% accurate. just like weather. I think you have missed the point of my previous post but that's ok

But that's the whole point of forecasting. A 100% sure result is not available - that's why we're estimating the outcome :).

You're way to concentrated on "playing stock" (why not analyze instead of playing? :)).

Sure, there are many variables, but it's still just a dynamical system. It can be analyzed, quantified and forecasted just like anything else.
Stock investing is not easy, but it's still just a job: people can be trained to do it - just like they're trained to make pasta or design CPUs.

So going back to the Intel/AMD thing.
In a very general case, you have 3 components of a price time series: a background (general market or segment condition), fundamental trend of the company and noise coming from trading.
1) Unless you're interested in day-trading, you want to exclude the "noise" part (and you learn how to do that during your math studies).
2) Then there's the backgound. Intel and AMD make similar products, are registered in the same country and are listed on the same stock market. The key difference is in manufacturing. Intel makes their chips and it's mostly done in USA (a bit in Israel). AMD outsources production to companies outside US (Germany and Taiwan) - this sometimes can have an effect on the stock, but nothing dramatic.
3) And now we get to the trend. Honestly, there are many ways to analyze this (fundamental and technical), but this is simply the value of the company, i.e. a present value (PV) of future cashflows.
If you look at the simplywall.st link I've posted earlier, you'll see that AMD is priced well above PV at this point. In other words: it'll need something extraordinary to reach these expectations (e.g. getting +10% market share in server CPUs). This may happen or not. Personally, I try not to bet my saving on "may happen", so I'd at least wait until they release Naples and it delivers what they promised.

Also think about scale. AMD and Intel fight for the same amound of sales in CPU markets. But since Intel is 15x larger, the price changes will be 15x smaller (more or less).
Looking at the last year (since June 2016) Intel is +14%, AMD is +160%. Without Zen hype, Intel stock could get to +20%, but this was still a great year for Intel investors, as they're "just" +44% over last 5 years.

As an investor I'm simply not ready to take the risk of buying AMD at this point.
If Naples performs under expectations (in sales, not in benchmarks), the stock will go down by maybe 20%.
If total Zen sales (including consumer stuff) are poor, the stock could be down 50% or more.

Just think about the scenarios that could make Intel stock drop by 50%: III World War, end of Internet, proof that semiconductors cause unwanted pregnancy, AMD CPUs work without power supply.
I can live with that. ;-)