• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Royal Kludge RK84 Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The Royal Kludge brand is popular for several keyboard models that took advantage of its in-house engineering, design, and manufacturing facilities. With the RK84, we see features that come on flagship keyboards at a budget price, including a 3-port USB hub, wired/Bluetooth/2.4 GHz connectivity options, and more!

Show full review

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
That brand name though... :D

D

Deleted member 24505

I saw klunge when i first looked. Inbetweeners keyboard

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Hey reviewer, you mention in the review that the top bezel was easily removed by hand.... This is actually a feature to give the user the option to have a floating key cap style.... It's literally on the product page, but you seem to totally miss this in the review.

I have this keyboard and an RK71, and I'm very happy with both of them (both white with blue switches, don't know how anyone can claim to enjoy typing on red switches). I've never had a $150+ keyboard so, I can't compare them to expensive ones, but I have zero complaints. Honestly, I'm hesitant to try any expensive keyboards since I don't feel a doubling in price will result in a doubling of experience. I especially like how the RK84 can have the frame removed to achieve a floating key style. I've had the RK71 for a year and a half as my daily driver and have had no issues.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Hey reviewer, you mention in the review that the top bezel was easily removed by hand.... This is actually a feature to give the user the option to have a floating key cap style.... It's literally on the product page, but you seem to totally miss this in the review.

I have this keyboard and an RK71, and I'm very happy with both of them (both white with blue switches, don't know how anyone can claim to enjoy typing on red switches). I've never had a $150+ keyboard so, I can't compare them to expensive ones, but I have zero complaints. Honestly, I'm hesitant to try any expensive keyboards since I don't feel a doubling in price will result in a doubling of experience. I especially like how the RK84 can have the frame removed to achieve a floating key style. I've had the RK71 for a year and a half as my daily driver and have had no issues.

Not surprised, its a nice looking keyboard, shame its white though.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member

lol one tiny image saying "Embedded or Floated" isn't the best way to mention this in the product page, but point taken.

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Royal Kludge has always been my recommendation for the entry level mech keyboard. There are of course cheaper $40-50 options but most of those are not wireless and I think sub-$100 is still not too bad.

Not surprised, its a nice looking keyboard, shame its white though.
It's available in black, both on AliExpress and Banggood...

I have a wish for future reviews:

When testing the RDB lighting and color fidelity, please do some manual color tweaking of the individual channels to see how close the keyboard can get to white.

I have had keyboard that were terrible when picking white in the software, but were able to (manually) get really close to a good white nonetheless. And have had other keyboards that just couldn't, no matter what I tried. A recent example for this, albeit not a keyboard, is the Roccat Kone Pro Air. Tweaking the RGB channels in single steps often does nothing, it jumps every ~20 "steps", and the seemingly narrow line between greenish white and blueish white is inaccessible, you can only have either of them.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
It's available in black, both on AliExpress and Banggood...

I have a wish for future reviews:

When testing the RDB lighting and color fidelity, please do some manual color tweaking of the individual channels to see how close the keyboard can get to white.

I have had keyboard that were terrible when picking white in the software, but were able to (manually) get really close to a good white nonetheless. And have had other keyboards that just couldn't, no matter what I tried. A recent example for this, albeit not a keyboard, is the Roccat Kone Pro Air. Tweaking the RGB channels in single steps often does nothing, it jumps every ~20 "steps", and the seemingly narrow line between greenish white and blueish white is inaccessible, you can only have either of them.
If the company does not care enough to do this then I won't either. It takes a lot of time to get this tuning done which unfortunately could be better spent elsewhere.

sedentary

I just bought this keyboard. So far very happy with it. It's my first mechanical keyboard and I've caught that bug. I've done two small mods and plan more in the future. I'm going to try my hand at making a walnut base and change out the keycaps for some big fat xda keycaps. Maybe switches later when I have feel up to lubing. My only complaint so far (besides the switches and even there I'm very happy for the price) is the stabilizer used. I'm not too fussed by it but it's pretty tinny. I am going to be getting a couple of these for my kids at christmas and we'll do some modding over the holidays.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I just bought this keyboard. So far very happy with it. It's my first mechanical keyboard and I've caught that bug. I've done two small mods and plan more in the future. I'm going to try my hand at making a walnut base and change out the keycaps for some big fat xda keycaps. Maybe switches later when I have feel up to lubing. My only complaint so far (besides the switches and even there I'm very happy for the price) is the stabilizer used. I'm not too fussed by it but it's pretty tinny. I am going to be getting a couple of these for my kids at christmas and we'll do some modding over the holidays.
Glad you like it too!

koxn

Hi, I'm considering getting this keyboard too, on Amazon to be precise. But I am a little scare because I read to many bad opinions about the dongle of this keyboard, they say that the keyboard has too short connection range, which makes it have high latency and sometimes even lose "clicks", with the cable it works excellent, and with bluetooth mode it works fine, but with too high latency to play online games, then the 2.4 dongle remains but this one works even worse than bluetooth mode. At leaat that is what i read and some reviwers say on youtube.

So, can you pls tell me your experiencr with it?