• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3000 Series artifacts, black squares that flicker in desktop and 2D mode

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
No matter how you spin this I can't see how it can be related to drivers/vBIOS, those look 100% like memory artifacts.

System Name BUILD
Processor INTEL® CORE™ i7-13700K
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI
Cooling NOCTUA NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB G.SKILL 5600 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070 Ti GAMING X TRIO
Storage 2TB SAMSUNG 990 PRO
Display(s) GIGABYTE M27Q 1440p 170Hz IPS
Case PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A DRGB
Power Supply ORSAIR RM1000x SHIFT
Mouse COOLER MASTER MM711
Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB TKL OPX
No matter how you spin this I can't see how it can be related to drivers/vBIOS, those look 100% like memory artifacts.
[GeForce RTX 4090] Watch Dogs 2 may display flickering when staring at the sky
Players report black/grey screens in Outer Wilds with 522.25 driver [3841593]
Lumion Pro 12.3 - Heavy corruption observed on app window [3784371]
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands displays texture corruption after extended gameplay on NVIDIA GPUs [3777340]
[Forza Horizon 5] Rainbow like artifacts in game after driver update. [3685123]
[Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II] Flashing corruption can be seen randomly while playing the game. [3829010]
[Chivalry 2] Toggling DLSS preset may cause gameplay to shimmer or show black rectangle. [3692024]
[Prepar3D] Light sources display flashing black boxes.
[Call of Duty: Vanguard]: The game may display random corruption. [3503111]
[Battlefield 2042]: The game may display color flashes on the screen. [3503086]

I can go more if you want ... those are just random artifacts/graphic corruption picked from nvidia drivers notes.

Now tell me that the same graphic corruption are in thise notes, it cannot be in the desktop because hey, is has to be GPU memory faulty !!!! Nevermind I had on few different cards, naah that dosent matter...

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
[GeForce RTX 4090] Watch Dogs 2 may display flickering when staring at the sky
Players report black/grey screens in Outer Wilds with 522.25 driver [3841593]
Lumion Pro 12.3 - Heavy corruption observed on app window [3784371]
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands displays texture corruption after extended gameplay on NVIDIA GPUs [3777340]
[Forza Horizon 5] Rainbow like artifacts in game after driver update. [3685123]
[Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II] Flashing corruption can be seen randomly while playing the game. [3829010]
[Chivalry 2] Toggling DLSS preset may cause gameplay to shimmer or show black rectangle. [3692024]
[Prepar3D] Light sources display flashing black boxes.
[Call of Duty: Vanguard]: The game may display random corruption. [3503111]
[Battlefield 2042]: The game may display color flashes on the screen. [3503086]

I can go more if you want ... those are just random artifacts/graphic corruption picked from nvidia drivers notes.

Now tell me that the same graphic corruption are in thise notes, it cannot be in the desktop because hey, is has to be GPU memory faulty !!!! Nevermind I had on few different cards, naah that dosent matter...

Flickering/texture corruption and whatever else is listed there does not look like what is shown in this thread which looks like classic memory artifacting. Do you not find it odd that this hasn't been fixed yet ? 3000 series is like 3 years old at this point, doesn't that ring a bell that this might actually be hardware ?

Anyway, if you still think it's software that's fine, I am just wondering what exactly is the resolution you seek to achieve here, because as I pointed out these cards have been out for quite some time and if this was fixable it should have been dealt with long ago.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Had a similar issue with my 3090, thought the card was dying cause i mined heavily on it and did some crazy overclocks with 600 watt power limits.

I was randomly seeing artifacts and sometimes the screen kept flickering every 20 seconds, only restarting would fix it.

Turned out that it was the combination of hdmi and hdmi audio drivers that caused it. I installed older drivers and the card works just fine with no issues for the last 3 months.

Flickering/texture corruption and whatever else is listed there does not look like what is shown in this thread which looks like classic memory artifacting. Do you not find it odd that this hasn't been fixed yet ? 3000 series is like 3 years old at this point, doesn't that ring a bell that this might actually be hardware ?

Anyway, if you still think it's software that's fine, I am just wondering what exactly is the resolution you seek to achieve here, because as I pointed out these cards have been out for quite some time and if this was fixable it should have been dealt with long ago.

Don't get the logic here why the age of a video card series would be a relevant argument here to conclude that these artifacts are certainly related to a hardware issue, as these only happen upon a driver crash after Windows startup.

I can recall, without effort, many cases where similar graphical corruption was introduced without any hardware being defect. It even happened on my NUC last year, a well known issue with a specific driver which was caused by Windows Update.
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/tjjfxs
"if this was fixable it should have been dealt with long ago." --> that just puts too much faith in a money greedy company like Nvidia imo.

System Name Gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570 Unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black w/ NT-H2
Memory 2x32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 (CL 16, F4-3600C16D-64GTZN)
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil RX 6950 XT
Storage 2x2TB SK hynix Platinum P41
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 27", Razer Raptor 27" (165Hz, 2560x1440)
Case NZXT H5 Flow w/ 2x Silent Wings Pro 4 140mm, 4x NF-A12x25 chromax.black
Audio Device(s) Creative T100 2.0, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X, Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2, Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W (HTI-1000M-GEN5)
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Ducky One 3 Full Size RGB w/ Cherry MX Blues, and Black PBT Pudding Keycaps
Software Windows 11 Pro
Huh. Different cards. If your thermals are good to go... how's your system RAM? Not VRAM. I had similar issues with an old system (intermittent black squares, drivers restarting, occasional rainbow bs) with an R9 290, and a GTX 1070 I replaced it with. System restart, and the problem would go away for a time.

End result -RAM sticks were bad. After a few years of running at advertised speeds, they crapped out. Started with graphical glitches here and there. Graphical glitches there often. Several months later ended with random blue screens of death. They (both sticks) failed MemTests at stock, and XMP settings. Adjusting voltage, and timings didn't help. Replaced RAM. No more issues. R9 290, and GTX 1070 were fine.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I can recall, without effort, many cases where similar graphical corruption was introduced without any hardware being defect.

Similar does not mean the same, memory artifacting has a very distinct look, anyway, good luck with this.

Apparently 1 month ago, someone was able to reproduce the issue by performing some Nvidia Tweaks from the QuickBoost app on Github for the installed driver.
To test with on your own risk of course.

Url for example purposes, not necessarily triggering the issue because I did not test it myself yet:

Last edited:

Ascender52

This morning I turned my PC on and before I could even sit on my chair the desktop had square artifacts.
I clicked on Stellaris shortcut and before it could even open the game launcher the monitor lost signal and the PC restarted, didn't even see a blue screen.

If this issue only happens during cold boots and once every 1-2 months then I'm going to try to RMA in 2,5 years when the warranty almost ends and maybe get a better GPU for free.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The only good answer here is an RMA, regardless of what causes it. The card is not performing as advertised - it being hyper sensitive to the boot process is just not a good thing and not a you-problem either. To each their responsibilities, right?

The only good answer here is an RMA, regardless of what causes it. The card is not performing as advertised - it being hyper sensitive to the boot process is just not a good thing and not a you-problem either. To each their responsibilities, right?
Agree, but still, what if you RMA'ed three times already like OP, and still have the same issue with different GPU's and builds?

In that case, RMA is actually more pointless then not RMA'ing. As in the mean time you can keep your GPU, just reboot when it occurs and figure out for yourself how to make it working somehow, until it's already time for a next gen gpu, which is hopefully better ...

It has already been 6 weeks now, and still haven't seen the issue back even once, fingers stay crossed ...

This morning I turned my PC on and before I could even sit on my chair the desktop had square artifacts.
I clicked on Stellaris shortcut and before it could even open the game launcher the monitor lost signal and the PC restarted, didn't even see a blue screen.

If this issue only happens during cold boots and once every 1-2 months then I'm going to try to RMA in 2,5 years when the warranty almost ends and maybe get a better GPU for free.
A blue screen is just not always visible. You should certainly check the relevant folder c:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG or the reliability history viewer in Windows, or check for system event logs with source nvlddmkm event ID 4101 and 13 as well.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Agree, but still, what if you RMA'ed three times already like OP, and still have the same issue with different GPU's and builds?

In that case, RMA is actually more pointless then not RMA'ing. As in the mean time you can keep your GPU, just reboot when it occurs and figure out for yourself how to make it working somehow, until it's already time for a next gen gpu, which is hopefully better ...

It has already been 6 weeks now, and still haven't seen the issue back even once, fingers stay crossed ...

A blue screen is just not always visible. You should certainly check the relevant folder c:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG or the reliability history viewer in Windows, or check for system event logs with source nvlddmkm event ID 4101 and 13 as well.
If the problem persists you can cancel the contract as well. Product non conformity, simple as. Whether driver or OS related... companies need to get their shit together. Of course your path is valid too, but in the simple consumer sense, I wouldnt accept this. Give me back my money or replace with a model/tier that does not suffer the problems and has equal or better perf.

Fact is, if RMA is accepted you have a strong case. Who's to say the company isnt just juggling around faulty GPUs? What certainties should you have as a paying customer?

Last edited:
System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Old-film-like artifacts=Unstable VRAM most likely. (Same with "Cache Hierarchy Error" WHEA)

Squares and random Direct3D init failed error message while already initialized= Unstable GPU core most likely.

Skipped frames=VRAM most likely!

Similar does not mean the same, memory artifacting has a very distinct look, anyway, good luck with this.
Unstable core (GPU) has a very raster-y mess, typically, also driver restarts tend to lean towards core, even when I saw that logged before for unstable VRAM on my GTX 1660 Super, after a random Halo hang, where Gearbox Halo CE is dumb sometimes, it thought I lost server connection, LOL! At least its UI can sure be dumb AF! I've possibly seen incorrect messages by its UI before.

You can think of unstable core as looking like a bad digital TV signal!

Unstable VRAM, OTOH, can look just like an analog TV mess.

Last edited:
If the problem persists you can cancel the contract as well. Product non conformity, simple as. Whether driver or OS related... companies need to get their shit together. Of course your path is valid too, but in the simple consumer sense, I wouldnt accept this. Give me back my money or replace with a model/tier that does not suffer the problems and has equal or better perf.

Fact is, if RMA is accepted you have a strong case. Who's to say the company isnt just juggling around faulty GPUs? What certainties should you have as a paying customer?
That is also true, but even additional reason why I did not RMA my gpu when this issue started to happen. Instead I did intensive checks for every memory bank of the VRAM with MODS/MATS and also a lot of core stability tests for GA102 and the results assured me this gpu is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Case Corsair 275R
Had a similar issue with my 3090, thought the card was dying cause i mined heavily on it and did some crazy overclocks with 600 watt power limits.

I was randomly seeing artifacts and sometimes the screen kept flickering every 20 seconds, only restarting would fix it.

Turned out that it was the combination of hdmi and hdmi audio drivers that caused it. I installed older drivers and the card works just fine with no issues for the last 3 months.
I suspect a bad HDMI signal causes symptoms resembling core OC'ed too much! (GPU)

I suspect a bad HDMI signal causes symptoms resembling core OC'ed too much! (GPU)
But doesn't cause these intermittent nvidia driver crashes.
As these are a mandatory key indicator for this particular issue described in this thread ...

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Case Corsair 275R
But doesn't cause these intermittent nvidia driver crashes.
For me, it looked like it caused random driver restarts, which is the meme of getting too greedy with the core!

NEC_HaoZ

Yeah it’s kinda sad, for me this is clearly a software-related one, specifically linked to what happens during Windows startup.

But I must say, it has been now one month since I saw the latest driver crash at Windows startup together with these small artifacts, whereas before I started to get the issue almost weekly.
Yes, my GPU model is 3080 12G. After the small square issue, I have replaced two new GPUs of different brands, but they have the same problem.
As you described, it is related to the behavior of NV driver at startup. And it only happens in 2D mode. In China's forums, I have seen a lot of the same issue.
Usually, people will think that this is the reason for VRAM, but in fact it is a bug with the driver. It may be the unreasonable configuration of VRAM or GPU core by the driver or GPU firmware at startup.
However, NV will not solve this issue because they are a large company and the efficiency of solving the issue is very low.

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
I had it too. And I was so sad until I saw this thread.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
I had it too. And I was so sad until I saw this thread.
Hi,
Yep I forgot all about the nvidia 30 series driver brain fart issue.

System Name MSI-MEG
Memory 32 GB
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
System Name Absolution
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSi X570-A PRO
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 64GB (0+32+0+32) 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Dell 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB PCIE4 NVME + 2TB SATA SSD + 3TB HDD
Display(s) Two 1080p 60hz hdmi
Case Antec Three Hundred Two
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply 1000w EVGA T2
Mouse Dell OEM USB
Keyboard Dell OEM USB
VR HMD Valve Index + 3 Trackers
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS TUF RTX 3060 GAMING OC, Having same issue but everything running fine.

Thanks for the thread. I figured it was just a bug. I see it happen quite often when I'm streaming discord and switching between windows.

System Name BUILD
Processor INTEL® CORE™ i7-13700K
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI
Cooling NOCTUA NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB G.SKILL 5600 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070 Ti GAMING X TRIO
Storage 2TB SAMSUNG 990 PRO
Display(s) GIGABYTE M27Q 1440p 170Hz IPS
Case PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A DRGB
Power Supply ORSAIR RM1000x SHIFT
Mouse COOLER MASTER MM711
Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB TKL OPX
I tried to edit the first post but I cant, so I will paste here more videos related to the issue itself

System Name MSI-MEG
Memory 32 GB
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
If it's a hardware problem, why the problem resolves after restart? And why there is no glitch in the bios screen?