• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3090 Unstable Performance

Jobester_joestar

Hello,

Over the course of a few weeks I've encountered a problem with my system, specifically while only playing games.

When I play any game(Overwatch, Skyrim, Insurgency Sandstorm, Escape From Tarkov) I have experienced incredibly bad frame rate and core clock drops. For example, when playing any game FPS and core clock become erratic. It will range from 0-300 FPS in some games while core clocks range from 200-1900MHz. The performance is bad, but I also have not had this problem with this same system and specs before. This is a new problem in a year old system. So that leads me to believe a part has gone bad. I have put an old 1070 and the core clock and FPS are very stable.

Specs:
Ryzen 7-3700x
MSI RTX 3090
32GB memory @3200MHz
850W gold Thermaltake PSU
Windows 10 Pro

Things I have done to troubleshoot:
  • Move PSU cables to a different rail
  • Install different graphics card
  • Fresh windows install
  • Reseated memory
  • Reinstall drivers
  • Reseated graphics card
  • undervolted and underclock GPU
  • Tweak fan curve to 100% to prevent thermal throttling
Ultimately I would like to see if I can fix the system before RMA'ing the card.

I will include screenshots of HWinfo, GPU-Z info to help troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 407
  • GPUZinfo.PNG
    GPUZinfo.PNG
    54.7 KB · Views: 445
  • HWinfo.PNG
    HWinfo.PNG
    74.8 KB · Views: 602
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
If you look at the hwinfo stats, focus on the gpu perf limits. Your gpu is hitting power, voltage, and utilization limits. The utilization is interesting because it means the gpu isn't being clocked up, ie. there is not enough load so it's clocks are reduced. If something is drawing utilization away from the gpu it you could try to track with afterburner. Inside afterburner hit the i button for information and scroll to the bottom and see what is calling for hw acceleration.

What are your settings for cpu, gpu? Overclocks, etc etc?

Processor AMD 5800X @ 4.95GHz PBO
Motherboard MSI X570 Unify AGESA 1.2.0.1
Cooling Phanteks 280mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Neo 32GB 3600 16-19-19-39 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3090 TUF Gaming OC
Storage Sabrent 2TB Rocket 4 Plus, Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME SSD
Display(s) Alienware DW3418 34" Ultrawide IPS G-Sync 120Hz
Case Phanteks P600s
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro Build 19042
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z v1.95 - Single: 677 Multi: 6977 Cinebench R20 - Single: 638 Multi: 6154
If you can, try borrowing or switching to a quality 1000w PSU. My ASUS 3090 TUF Gaming OC pulled so much power in some games it would randomly shut my computer off on a brand new Seasonic 850w Titanium I got just for the darn GPU. Was running a EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 prior and stable. After much Googling about reports of this problem it was due to transient power tripping the PSU or power draw spikes, I decided to return the Seasonic within my return period and upgraded to a 1000w Super Flower PSU Platinum Leadex SE or what I could get at the time. Rock stable ever since. Never had I though I'd need 1000w PSU even with some overclocking with a Ryzen 5800x, but these 3090s power requirements should be above than what Nvidia recommends after what I experienced.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
If you can, try borrowing or switching to a quality 1000w PSU. My ASUS 3090 TUF Gaming OC pulled so much power in some games it would randomly shut my computer off on a brand new Seasonic 850w Titanium I got just for the darn GPU. Was running a EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 prior and stable. After much Googling about reports of this problem it was due to transient power tripping the PSU or power draw spikes, I decided to return the Seasonic within my return period and upgraded to a 1000w Super Flower PSU Platinum Leadex SE or what I could get at the time. Rock stable ever since. Never had I though I'd need 1000w PSU even with some overclocking with a Ryzen 5800x, but these 3090s power requirements should be above than what Nvidia recommends after what I experienced.
He's not suffering from power overload, ie. shutdowns. Once he gets it working he could very well hit that same problem.

Jobester_joestar

If you look at the hwinfo stats, focus on the gpu perf limits. Your gpu is hitting power, voltage, and utilization limits. The utilization is interesting because it means the gpu isn't being clocked up, ie. there is not enough load so it's clocks are reduced. If something is drawing utilization away from the gpu it you could try to track with afterburner. Inside afterburner hit the i button for information and scroll to the bottom and see what is calling for hw acceleration.

What are your settings for cpu, gpu? Overclocks, etc etc?
Clock speeds for CPU:
Base clock: 3.6GHz
Average I think is around 4.2 GHz

Clock Speeds for GPU:

Core Clock: ~1980 MHz
Mem Clock: ~ 9751 MHz

No overclocks on anything

XMP profile on system memory.

I'm not seeing anything about HW acceleration in afterburner but i can post a screenshot to move forward.

I've actually never encountered any of these problems. It was stable with this system for a whole year.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 198
Processor AMD 5800X @ 4.95GHz PBO
Motherboard MSI X570 Unify AGESA 1.2.0.1
Cooling Phanteks 280mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Neo 32GB 3600 16-19-19-39 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3090 TUF Gaming OC
Storage Sabrent 2TB Rocket 4 Plus, Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME SSD
Display(s) Alienware DW3418 34" Ultrawide IPS G-Sync 120Hz
Case Phanteks P600s
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro Build 19042
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z v1.95 - Single: 677 Multi: 6977 Cinebench R20 - Single: 638 Multi: 6154
He's not suffering from power overload, ie. shutdowns. Once he gets it working he could very well hit that same problem.
Indeed. But I forgot to mention I also had bad graphics stuttering frequently before it would shut down eventually using a 850w PSU. It might be worth a try IF the OP can get a hold of a 1000w PSU to test as well. Unstable power definitely caused me weird instability with the frame rate like the OP described for me in addition to random crashes in several games. However, I didn't monitor for any Core Clock drops at the time as I just wanted to fix it and knew something wasn't right :). Just another suggestion if troubleshooting everything else with normal overall temps, default stock settings but problem still there.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I'm not seeing anything about HW acceleration in afterburner but i can post a screenshot to move forward.
Scroll down to:

On-Screen Display server
________________________________________________________________________________
Path : C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server
Version : v7.3.1
Active client(s) : automatic profiles manager
: screen capture module
Active 3D process : not detected

The part in bold will have processes there. Normally you'd see browsers and random apps. There's usually something there in everyone's computer unless you manually removed them. I will check AB from time to time because there's always some dumb app drawing resources it shouldn't. Yesterday it was PerfectDisk, a defrag tool... like why the F does it need hw aceel right?

Anyways the way to disable apps is to highlight the name.exe, copy it and paste it into Rivatuner, aka RSS. It would be the On-Screen Display server in this case. So look for RTSS in your running apps in bottom right corner of desktop. Click to bring RTSS up, and you simply hit the add buttun and paste the name.exe you copied and choose None on the Application detection level. This will tell RTSS to not allow that app whenever its run to be able to call for hw accel. The only things I allow to use hw accel are my video editing apps and games.

Do you run other apps whilst playing games?

Jobester_joestar

Scroll down to:

The part in bold will have processes there. Normally you'd see browsers and random apps. There's usually something there in everyone's computer unless you manually removed them. I will check AB from time to time because there's always some dumb app drawing resources it shouldn't. Yesterday it was PerfectDisk, a defrag tool... like why the F does it need hw aceel right?

Anyways the way to disable apps is to highlight the name.exe, copy it and paste it into Rivatuner, aka RSS. It would be the On-Screen Display server in this case. So look for RTSS in your running apps in bottom right corner of desktop. Click to bring RTSS up, and you simply hit the add buttun and paste the name.exe you copied and choose None on the Application detection level. This will tell RTSS to not allow that app whenever its run to be able to call for hw accel. The only things I allow to use hw accel are my video editing apps and games.

Do you run other apps whilst playing games?
I don't see that anywhere when opening up the information panel on MSI afterburner. Is there any other way to check what processes are using hw acceleration.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
If you don't see anything then you probably have a driver or an AB install issue or both. In a proper install even if there is nothing running you should still see the what I posted above. I don't know of another easy way to track hw accel.

Jobester_joestar

If you don't see anything then you probably have a driver or an AB install issue or both. In a proper install even if there is nothing running you should still see the what I posted above. I don't know of another easy way to track hw accel.
So after turning on hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows Graphics settings I was able to bring the minimum core clock up to 1725 MHz, its still not stable as in it wont consistently max out my core clock, but it is noticeably better than before.

In response to this message, I've done a fresh install of windows twice now and then immediately installed graphics drivers every time. I have the same problem every windows install. Could you clarify what an AB install issue is. After turning on hardware acceleration I still get very bad performance.

Processor Intel core i9 13900ks sp117 direct die
Motherboard Asus Maximus Apex Z790
Cooling Custom loop 3*360 45mm thick+ 3 x mo-ra3 420 +Dual D5 pump and dual ddc pump
Memory 2x24gb Gskill 8800c38
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090 Strix
Storage 1TB Samsung 860Evo,2*2tb Samsung 970Evo Plus, 1tb Intel 660p nvme
Display(s) Sammsung G7 32”
Case Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Omni 5.1 usb sound card
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Model O-
Keyboard Hyper X Alloy Origin Core
Just upgrade your PSU. If its not, u can return it.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
So after turning on hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows Graphics settings I was able to bring the minimum core clock up to 1725 MHz, its still not stable as in it wont consistently max out my core clock, but it is noticeably better than before.

In response to this message, I've done a fresh install of windows twice now and then immediately installed graphics drivers every time. I have the same problem every windows install. Could you clarify what an AB install issue is. After turning on hardware acceleration I still get very bad performance.
GPU scheduling is not the hw acceleration that I'm writing about. GPU scheduling has to do with how the cpu prepares batches of work for the gpu and in the case of the title it allows the gpu to decide when to pass work to it.

What I'm talking about are apps that demand 3d acceleration from the gpu. Having multiple apps running in the background all demanding hw accel can cause major issues when you're trying to play a game.

Hmm, so you refreshed the OS. Detail out your process other wise its probably not ideal for me to assume you did this step or that. There's a few steps before you can use AB or game like installing amd chipset drivers and updating the DX stack.

Jobester_joestar

GPU scheduling is not the hw acceleration that I'm writing about. GPU scheduling has to do with how the cpu prepares batches of work for the gpu and in the case of the title it allows the gpu to decide when to pass work to it.

What I'm talking about are apps that demand 3d acceleration from the gpu. Having multiple apps running in the background all demanding hw accel can cause major issues when you're trying to play a game.

Hmm, so you refreshed the OS. Detail out your process other wise its probably not ideal for me to assume you did this step or that. There's a few steps before you can use AB or game like installing amd chipset drivers and updating the DX stack.
I deleted the partitions of my ssd twice and reinstalled windows using a media creation tool ~2 times i would like to say. Both times i would install geforce experience to install drivers for my GPU and then installed a game to test with.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I deleted the partitions of my ssd twice and reinstalled windows using a media creation tool ~2 times i would like to say. Both times i would install geforce experience to install drivers for my GPU and then installed a game to test with
You didn't install AB? Even beyond that you have to install the DX stack. AB will auto prompt you to install DX.

Jobester_joestar

You didn't install AB? Even beyond that you have to install the DX stack. AB will auto prompt you to install DX.
Could you clarify what AB and DX are please? I did not install either of those because i thought that the issue initially was a corrupt version of windows.

I've also noticed new information in HWinfo. I'm now getting new PerfCap reasons such as: pwr, Vrel, and VOp. I'm assuming this means I'm being throttled by my psu?

I can reinstall afterburner if thats what you mean by the "AB" abbreviation and see if that allows me to see what processes are using hw acceleration.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Could you clarify what AB and DX are please? I did not install either of those because i thought that the issue initially was a corrupt version of windows.

I've also noticed new information in HWinfo. I'm now getting new PerfCap reasons such as: pwr, Vrel, and VOp. I'm assuming this means I'm being throttled by my psu?

I can reinstall afterburner if thats what you mean by the "AB" abbreviation and see if that allows me to see what processes are using hw acceleration.
Afterburner and DirectX. If you want to track hw accel you need to install Afterburner and RTSS (included in AB). AB will also prompt you to install DX, do it. Windows by default has a limited DX install hence AB runs DX install.

PSU's don't throttle they shut off.

Yes, install AB regardless. You can use AB to display stats to help you track down your issue. I'm assuming you have a software issue because you wrote that it WAS working fine for a year.

Jobester_joestar

Afterburner and DirectX. If you want to track hw accel you need to install Afterburner and RTSS (included in AB). AB will also prompt you to install DX, do it. Windows by default has a limited DX install hence AB runs DX install.

PSU's don't throttle they shut off.

Yes, install AB regardless. You can use AB to display stats to help you track down your issue. I'm assuming you have a software issue because you wrote that it WAS working fine for a year.
I have just reinstalled AB and RTSS, still no option to view applications that are using here's a screenshot. Is there a setting that needs to be changed to view this info?

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    535.1 KB · Views: 184
Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Did you reboot after install?

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
do you have a picture of how you connect the power to the gpu?

None of those happen to do anything with the PSU, period.
vrel and vop have to do with which voltage point is active on the V/F Curve (you can see that in MSI Afterburner). You would usually only see this at no load, and only if the card is clocking up fully at idle rather than running at 210 mhz at idle. Most users will never see vOP since they have the card downclock to 210 mhz when not being used. vrel can happen at full load ONLY if you are not hitting the cards power limit (PWR limit has nothing to do with power supply).

Jobester_joestar

None of those happen to do anything with the PSU, period.
vrel and vop have to do with which voltage point is active on the V/F Curve (you can see that in MSI Afterburner). You would usually only see this at no load, and only if the card is clocking up fully at idle rather than running at 210 mhz at idle. Most users will never see vOP since they have the card downclock to 210 mhz when not being used. vrel can happen at full load ONLY if you are not hitting the cards power limit (PWR limit has nothing to do with power supply).
I've tried a few things, but what I'm understanding here is that I should RMA the card right?

I did, still not showing up in AB.

Okay, so I figured out that only certain MSI afterburner UI's will allow me to see the setting. Which is stupid. But the only process that is using HA is Agent.exe.

System Name ROG 7900X3d By purecain
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling Noctua NH U12A
Memory 64Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 neo RGB 6400@6000mhz@1.41v
Video Card(s) Aorus RTX4090 Extreme Waterforce
Storage 990Pro2Tb-1TbSamsung Evo M.2/ 2TbSamsung QVO/ 1TbSamsung Evo780/ 120gbKingston Now
Display(s) LG 65UN85006LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV
Case Thermaltake CoreX71 Limited Edition Etched Tempered Glass Door
Audio Device(s) On board/NIcomplete audio 6
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS 1000w 80+
Mouse M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard K95 RGB Platinum
Software Windows11pro
Benchmark Scores [url=https://valid.x86.fr/gtle1y][img]https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/gtle1y-6.png[/img][/url]
I'm using a 1000w Seasonic and its solid. I hope you can upgrade as your card isnt receiving power properly. I placed your GPU-Z next to mine. Basically what Nexium said. Upgrade your PSU!!! :toast:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'm using a 1000w Seasonic and its solid. I hope you can upgrade as your card isnt receiving power properly. I placed your GPU-Z next to mine. Basically what Nexium said. Upgrade your PSU!!! :toast:
Make no sense a 1000 watter is needed for a single card though...

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Make no sense a 1000 watter is needed for a single card though...
This. My 5900x unleashed with 3090 maxed out including a full loop draws under 800w max. It's a lot for a single but still doesn't require 1kw psu.