• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RUNDLL Error???

System Name AMD '13
Processor FX-6300 @ 4.43GHz (1.35v)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 rev 1.0 (F6)
Cooling Cooler Master T2 + x2 case fans
Memory 2x4Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (Stock)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX650 Ti OC 2Gb @ 1110/1500
Storage Corsair 240Gb SSD / Seagate 500Gb HDD + old skool IDE HDD's x 3
Display(s) Acer 23'' LED
Case Billy Basic
Audio Device(s) Onboard 8.1 HD
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Smenchmarks
I have been getting this error since I reinstalled Sound Forge 7, but it still loads up after error, I have tried reinstalling and it makes no difference?

Any ideas why im getting it?

;)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 441

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
I have been getting this error since I reinstalled Sound Forge 7, but it still loads up after error, I have tried reinstalling and it makes no difference?

Any ideas why im getting it?

;)

Well, it is missing a DLL to call functions from & get return values on...

:)

* What RUNDLL32.exe does, is allow programs to call functions out of libraries (dynamic link libraries, DLL files) to perform some action, just like regular programs can in today's object-oriented world & yes, even @ this level, it's really "object-oriented" by calling reuseable functions in program from libs.

(You really have to find out what DLL it is though, & that is the KEY point here)...

It depends on how the app was coding & some "rules" regarding HOW libs/dlls are searched for by Win32 Portable Executables.

You may want to compare some libs in %WinDir%\system32 folder that are from SOUNDFORGE, or get a list of them from the OEM... This WILL be the harder one & especially w/out such a list!

Just searching in a %PATH% publicly accessible folder (like SYSTEM32 in Windows is), going to be a "bummer", because TONS of apps put their DLL's there!

HOWEVER, some folks who code (especially nowadays in the era of HUGE disks) put the libs into the app's folder w/ it's .exe file(s), which would make this easier by far.

SOME MECHANICS/DETAILS/NUTS & BOLTS:

The placement of DLL's into an app's folder on disk w/ it's .exe files actually launches faster because apps first place to seek libs?

IN THEIR OWN FOLDER!

(That also helps avoid "DLL Hell" excellently, by the way, provided the coder(s) did not "hardcode" their LoadLibrary API calls w/ specific paths to files elsewhere (not really needed for publicly accessible ones on the system %PATH% though, but this IS slower than keeping DLL's needed in the same folder as the .exe files are for an app))

APK

P.S.=> Your errmsg posted does help some though, it shows this lib it is looking for is underneath the SOUNDFORGE folders... whew! Thank Goodness for that... now, you need a list of libs/dlls that app uses, & the one that's missing? Download it, if possible, or check the install image/CD & put it back in there... I would put them ALL in there if you can, make sure the app's not running while you do, & go for it!

GOOD LUCK! apk

System Name AMD '13
Display(s) Acer 23'' LED
Case Billy Basic
Well, it is missing a DLL to call functions from & get return values on...

* What RUNDLL32.exe does, is allow programs to call functions out of libraries (dynamic link libraries, DLL files) to perform some action, just like regular programs can in today's object-oriented world & yes, even @ this level, it's really "object-oriented" by calling reuseable functions in program from libs.

(You really have to find out what DLL it is though, & that is the KEY point here)...

It depends on how the app was coding & some "rules" regarding HOW libs/dlls are searched for by Win32 Portable Executables.

You may want to compare some libs in %WinDir%\system32 folder that are from SOUNDFORGE, or get a list of them from the OEM... This WILL be the harder one & especially w/out such a list!

Just searching in a %PATH% publicly accessible folder (like SYSTEM32 in Windows is), going to be a "bummer", because TONS of apps put their DLL's there!

HOWEVER, some folks who code (especially nowadays in the era of HUGE disks) put the libs into the app's folder w/ it's .exe file(s), which would make this easier by far.

SOME MECHANICS/DETAILS/NUTS & BOLTS:

The placement of DLL's into an app's folder on disk w/ it's .exe files actually launches faster because apps first place to seek libs?

IN THEIR OWN FOLDER!

(That also helps avoid "DLL Hell" excellently, by the way, provided the coder(s) did not "hardcode" their LoadLibrary API calls w/ specific paths to files elsewhere (not really needed for publicly accessible ones on the system %PATH% though, but this IS slower than keeping DLL's needed in the same folder as the .exe files are for an app))

APK

P.S.=> Your errmsg posted does help some though, it shows this lib it is looking for is underneath the SOUNDFORGE folders... whew! Thank Goodness for that... now, you need a list of libs/dlls that app uses, & the one that's missing? Download it, if possible, or check the install image/CD & put it back in there... I would put them ALL in there if you can, make sure the app's not running while you do, & go for it!

GOOD LUCK! apk

Thanks for the very indepth explanation, much of it went over my head lol

Does this image help???

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 439

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Thanks for the very indepth explanation, much of it went over my head lol

Does this image help???

Yes, I mention it above in my 'P.S.' specifically in fact, the rest was so you understood what RUNDLL32 does, & how it all works...

Given that errmsg/abend warning you got? WE GOT A PATH WHERE THE FILE SHOULD BE (under the app's own folders, thank goodness, easier to get a list of DLL files there than in %WinDir%\system32 & finding them too).

We don't get a SPECIFIC DLL name, so it MAY be more than 1... sometimes, DLLs call other DLL's or have dependencies, even on diff. version builds of them being expected (DLL HELL STUFF).

I would write the OEM of SoundForge, & ask them EXACTLY WHAT DLL's need to be in THAT folderpath!

OR, just ask another soundforge user, w/ same build version of soundforge, & then get the file from them!

We attached & sent DLL's to one another here on the forums MANY times now... this is a way too!

(The OEM should provide it though, no charge etc. or tell you where to FTP one IF NEEDED... it's their job to know it, & to tell you as a user!)

* Get the missing one from them (possibly from your install image on CD/DVD etc.) & be sure SAME VERSION OF DLL BUILD for the VERSION BUILD OF SOUNDFORGE IT IS, put it where it says it is missing & should work fine then!

APK

Last edited:
System Name AMD '13
Display(s) Acer 23'' LED
Case Billy Basic
Yes, I mention it above in my 'P.S.' specifically in fact, the rest was so you understood what RUNDLL32 does, & how it all works...

Given that errmsg/abend warning you got? WE GOT A PATH WHERE THE FILE SHOULD BE (under the app's own folders, thank goodness, easier to get a list of DLL files there than in %WinDir%\system32 & finding them too).

We don't get a SPECIFIC DLL name, so it MAY be more than 1... sometimes, DLLs call other DLL's or have dependencies, even on diff. version builds of them being expected (DLL HELL STUFF).

I would write the OEM of SoundForge, & ask them EXACTLY WHAT DLL's need to be in THAT folderpath!

OR, just ask another soundforge user, w/ same build version of soundforge, & then get the file from them!

We attached & sent DLL's to one another here on the forums MANY times now... this is a way too!

(The OEM should provide it though, no charge etc. or tell you where to FTP one IF NEEDED... it's their job to know it, & to tell you as a user!)

* Get the missing one from them (possibly from your install image on CD/DVD etc.) & be sure SAME VERSION OF DLL BUILD for the VERSION BUILD OF SOUNDFORGE IT IS, put it where it says it is missing & should work fine then!

APK

Many thanks APK

All sorted now, had to copy all the dll's into the system32 folder!

And bob's your uncle, no error now! :)

Alec§taar

Many thanks APK

Many "you're welcomes" back, in return response!

All sorted now, had to copy all the dll's into the system32 folder!

Cool!

Yea, that'll work, & it tells you that this app quite possibly has "LoadLibrary" Win32 API calls 'hardcoded' to the PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE %WinDir%\system32 on the %PATH% environment values pathway each program gets a copy of @ startup (like an 'in-memory .ini file', more-or-less!)

And bob's your uncle, no error now! :)

Good, you are set/fixed - now you know how to fix this type of thing for folks & are literally expert in it, because you have done it... & get it, fully (I hope, my hands hurt, lol, after typing out the detail for you so you UNDERSTAND it, all the way or near to it).

NOW, you can help others w/ this issue, & "pay-it-forward", & up your "Good Karma credit", lol...

APK

P.S.=> Who the heck is "Bob"? lol... I don't know this guy! apk