• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Russia to Use Chinese Zhaoxin x86 Processors Amidst Restrictions to Replace Intel and AMD Designs

I don't get it. Why don't they just buy AMD, Intel, whatever directly from the Chinese? China didn't impose any trade sanctions on Russia. If Germany can still buy Russian gas and resell it to Poland, why can't China resell Intel and AMD CPUs to Russia? This whole thing is just weird.
Because of something called secondary sanctions, i.e. sanctions that target those who help circumventing the main target of the sanctions. Russia doesn't apply secondary sanctions on gas and oil atm, so Germany can simply resell it. But the US is more than willing to target Chinese companies that engage in evading these sanctions, even if it will further cripple the global supply chain and raise inflation to the moon.

Last edited:
I don't get it. Why don't they just buy AMD, Intel, whatever directly from the Chinese?
Because news itself is completely wrong. =) This board and CPU combination made for government sector. To kick Intel\AMD\IBM in window from tenders and government contracts. There is no problem to buy Intel\AMD CPU for civilians in country.

Intel left country, but CPUs are in stock;
AMD left country, but CPUs are in stock;
NVIDIA left country, but GPUs are in stock (not FE, but AIB)

Get it?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Because of something called secondary sanctions, i.e. sanctions that target those who help circumventing the main target of the sanctions. Russia doesn't apply secondary sanctions on gas and oil atm, so Germany can simply resell it. But the US is more than willing to target Chinese companies that engage in evading these sanctions, even if it will further cripple the global supply chain and raise inflation to the moon.
Thank god there's at least one other adult in this thread.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I knew all along that restrictions were a bad idea.

KuronekoRuri

Tom's Hardware Update 05/19 5:05 pm PT: A representative from Zhaoxin has confirmed to Tom's Hardware that the company only focuses on business in China. Zhaoxin has no intention thus far to sell its products to other countries. Zhaoxin has also sent out announcements to its partners to emphasize the company's policy and to ensure that they understand Zhaoxin's policy.

-------------------
As a Chinese, I have not received any news about Zhaoxin is selling to Russia. I think Tom's update is correct.
This SoC is so expensive, I bought the roughly same mATX board and cost me about 700USD for a FX8300 level performance chip. I dont think Russia can afford this. They can just bought AMD/Intel chips though us, that is much cheaper.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay on topic.
And, the topic is "Russia to Use Chinese Zhaoxin x86 Processors Amidst Restrictions to Replace Intel and AMD Designs".
Stop the insults and hate.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Because news itself is completely wrong. =) This board and CPU combination made for government sector. To kick Intel\AMD\IBM in window from tenders and government contracts. There is no problem to buy Intel\AMD CPU for civilians in country.

Intel left country, but CPUs are in stock;
AMD left country, but CPUs are in stock;
NVIDIA left country, but GPUs are in stock (not FE, but AIB)

Get it?
Stock does not matter much if pricing is absurd...

My bet is it is, and thus this newspiece becomes a possibility if not reality.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Full steam backwards for da Comrades it is. :D When their current rigs are outdated, it will only be low demanding indie games. When their western cars are broken down & with the lack of replacement parts, there will be in 10 years only Lada's on the streets (and maybe some Chinese cars). When Steam finally pulls the plug (or the Kremlin cuts the iNet to the west), there will only be a "Tencent Gaming Network". And if Microsoft pulls out of Russia, they will game on Red Star OS, lol:

But the thing is, China is advancing fast in every aspect. How long will it take for them to catch up to western chips? And do "restrictions" actually work? I mean, chips aren't that big, making border smuggling kinda easy.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
And do "restrictions" actually work?
I don't think they do. They're just encouraging China to advance their technologies faster than ever. The world will be polarised again soon at this rate.