• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RX 480 trade for GTX 970

iero

Good evening, new member here, just registered to ask a question.
I have a main system with a 3060 folding already. I had a secondary system with an Ryzen 3 2200g, without a dGPU,
so last week bought a 4 year old MSI Gaming X RX 480 4GB with a broken fin, for 100€, a good price given the current GPU situation.

post images
Since then I've been folding during the day, cause the imbalanced fan, rattles a lot and above 28~30% fan speed it is quite audible and
I can't have the pc running during the night, since it is located right next to my bed.
All this time I've been looking for a trade with an Nvidia card, in order to use the CUDA advantage, trying to achieve better efficiency and
avoid having to buy replacement fans.(the card is a hassle to open up without a screwdriver with magnetic tips - which I do not have)
I now have two offers.
1) A GTX 970 4GB Gainward Phoenix,
2) A GTX 970 4GB GIgabyte Windforce 3x OC
According to FOLDING.LAR.SYSTEMS an RX 480 has a PPD of 360K at 225W, but I'm getting an avg PPD of 350k for an avg of 92W with my Gaming X.
Today I had 2 (7h to complete) WUs at an estimated 428K PPD - an +21% avg according to the chrome web extension.
Given the info, charts, stats, etc from FOLDING.LAR.SYSTEMS and the web a GTX 970 should be better suited than the RX 480 for folding, right?
If that is true, should I trade my 480 for an 970, and if yes, with which of the 2 cards?

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Welcome to the site @iero :)

I'd personally stick with the 970 if I'm honest but I wouldn't personally consider either of the two cards there.. I think the MSI Gaming X cards are amazing (never had one by the way) and they have some great performance and brilliant cooling...

Gigabyte and Gainward (prefer Gainward over Gigabyte) but I would like to bet that neither of them are as good as the Gaming X, I'd be very surprised to be honest if that wasn't the case...

Right now as I'm sure you are aware, trying to buy a GPU is a nightmare.. Have you considered taking the fan out that is damaged and then strapping a 120mm fan to it instead? It would save you some cash and might be worth trying to hold on for a bit longer until it's a little bit easier to buy a normal GPU....?

Just my 2p worth :)

System Name MSi Coffee Lake
Processor i7-8700k
Motherboard MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling NZXT something AIO loop
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 2133 C14 Fury Black
Video Card(s) TITAN Xp Jedi Order Edition
Storage Samsung 960 Evo NVMe
Display(s) Medion 23'
Case Cooler Master Stryker
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply BeQuiet 600W
Mouse Logitech Trackman T-BB18
Keyboard Generic hp
Software Windows 10
I would also suggest to replace the fans on the card.
You can try to get them of another MSi card with the same cooler.

Naughty, but I'll suggest it - the simplest way to fix your fan is:
I counted the blades - there used to be 14. Just break the blade directly across the fan axis of the broken one and the fan will be balanced again - no need to buy another graphics card. :cool:

iero

Since English is my second language, I must have not been clear enough. I had had the 480 with the broken fin. I traded it with a WindForce x3 OC GTX 970 after all, for the CUDA bonus to PPD. But unfortunately the card ramps up to 100% for no reason, even though MSI afterburner and GPU-Z show no change in rpm or %fan speed. So i'll trade back to my gaming x 480, and probably gonna break another fin to balance out the fan hub.