• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ryzen 3000 degradation with static voltage and static frequency

mushmx

It is more than that, they specifically designed these chips to throttle. Sense M.I is a big piece of the puzzle. When manually set, the SV2(did I recall the name correctly?) circuit is turned off. You cannot have the best of both worlds in that regard, either your chip floats like a butterfly or it falls flat like a brick.
It fails me how people want their justified purchase not to work as intended.
The EDC parameter is specifically designed for such single/full duty workload balancing. It is a soft pttl setting all in one, since throttling also determines the max temperature threshold.
When 'decreased', single threads do continue to boost, but multiple threads run at a lower bin. This has the largest impact on the chip since available bins are tied to the voltage bin(prime determinant of power curve).
talkning about this, keep all static, malfunction or degrade the chips?
even if system looks more stable and cooler?
i mean at stock temps and voltages going crazy (normal on ryzen) but at static everything goes fine, stable, and cool so i cant understand when somone say its not really ok

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
correct me if im wrong, but im not overclocking or i doing?
because as i explain with stock defaults stuff, i get higher and peaking temps (even iddle) , peaking fps ... and after set all on static i get lower and stable temps, and better performance and higher stable fps.
and i think im not going over factory settings, on GHz or Voltages, thats why i ask to you if im overclocking.
I set mine static to 1.25v and 4.2ghz but I have a decent cooler, I don't believe you will hurt your chip as long as you stay below 1.35v, in my system also I get lower temps and better gaming performance with a static clock. If your chip runs without issues at 4.3ghz on 1.25v I say run it like that.

The only thing you gain from auto is higher single thread performance, while the static multi-thread boost is usually better than auto. On auto it drops under load (while maintaining a higher voltage) whereas on static you're reducing the voltage and increasing the frequency to gain performance and reduce heat. It's a no brainer imo but many people will argue that you should use auto, even though auto runs the chip hotter and slower.

mushmx

I set mine static to 1.25v and 4.2ghz but I have a decent cooler, I don't believe you will hurt your chip as long as you stay below 1.35v, in my system also I get lower temps and better gaming performance with a static clock. If your chip runs without issues at 4.3ghz on 1.25v I say run it like that.

The only thing you gain from auto is a higher single thread performance, while the static multi-thread boost is usually better than auto. On auto it drops under load (while maintaining a higher voltage) whereas on static you're reducing the voltage and increasing the frequency to gain performance and reduce heat. It's a no brainer imo but many people will argue that you should use auto, even though auto runs the chip hotter and slower.
Yes but its no brainer but, it came from factory in that way for a reason, should be a tech reason.

Anyway as you say i think static run cooler and better so... i just wanna resereach about bad effects of doing it meaning degrade or early malfunction.

It's a no brainer imo but many people will argue that you should use auto, even though auto runs the chip hotter and slower.
Thanks, although I happen to know it is because cc6 that keeps the cores cool when idling.
It really should be a no brainer that a manual oc chip with 'cc6' turned on will be cooler than one that is on auto, but cc6 tampered to be off. We shouldn't be discussing pointlessly, either you run your chip cool, or it burns due to electromigration end of story.
And I don't need to endorse stupid amd practices just to point out, it can work out nicely. You just have to do the procedure which some do not like, I do not argue against that.
All I argue is, pbo is for throttling and people use it like it is an overclocking utility - it came up solely to keep threadripper motherboards from ripping a whole in its earnings reports.

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
Yes but its no brainer but, it came from factory in that way for a reason, should be a tech reason.

Anyway as you say i think static run cooler and better so... i just wanna resereach about bad effects of doing it meaning degrade or early malfunction.
I've run stress tests at 1.4v and higher before I learned about degradation, not long tests most were just a few seconds before a p95 worker failed so I stop and go back to bios and change things and re-test. AMD themselves say if you set a static voltage higher than 1.35v it will cause degradation. Also you might notice performance loss anything over 1.3v static (if you test with aida64 there is a performance decrease in ram read speed, at least in my tests if I go beyond 1.3v).

mushmx

I've run stress tests at 1.4v and higher before I learned about degradation, not long tests most were just a few seconds before a p95 worker failed so I stop and go back to bios and change things and re-test. AMD themselves say if you set a static voltage higher than 1.35v it will cause degradation. Also you might notice performance loss anything over 1.3v static (if you test with aida64 there is a performance decrease in ram read speed, at least in my tests if I go beyond 1.3v).
Wow really interesing! can you provide the amd post or source (no sarcasm or something like that) i wanna read and check that i really enjoy reading about this and this topic!
so 1.29 could be usfeful, like a balance?
as GNexus say go far from1.25 its not tangible and dont really worth it. I like steve content since hes very methodic and idk even if dont speak my language is very clear.
so thats why i wanna read amd information about voltages

i wanna read amd information about voltages
This is from a website that is now offline(ferra.ru). Be careful about the tables, one is charting power scaling, the other the temperature.
I really question you would require any more voltage, though I admit: faster cores go to sleep(4.3Ghz) state faster than an idling(1.4GHz) core. AMD has gone all tape measure with frequency scaling on that end.
Still, the fact that you gain headroom by running a lower voltage should be evident to anybody: in fact, according to AMD, CC6 saves up ~92% of idling power consumption, so think of all the benefits you will get when you max out the cores, but run them cool in the mean time. Your cpu will be early to bed, early to rise.

mushmx

This is from a website that is now offline(ferra.ru). Be careful about the tables, one is charting power scaling, the other the temperature.
I really question you would require any more voltage, though I admit: faster cores go to sleep(4.3Ghz) state faster than an idling(1.4GHz) core. AMD has gone all tape measure with frequency scaling on that end.
Still, the fact that you gain headroom by running a lower voltage should be evident to anybody: in fact, according to AMD, CC6 saves up ~92% of idling power consumption, so think of all the benefits you will get when you max out the cores, but run them cool in the mean time. Your cpu will be early to bed, early to rise.
Sorry, unfortunately i run out my english knowings. I cant fully understand your message.

So u saying im doing good? or im wrong? setting all static with c6 enabled?

Sorry, unfortunately i run out my english knowings. I cant fully understand your message.

So u saying im doing good? or im wrong? setting all static with c6 enabled?
Follow the link and you will witness the power cost, basically the power is not the deciding factor here. Your frequency can be met even at the opposite ends of the efficiency scale. You can decide for yourself.

mushmx

Follow the link and you will witness the power cost, basically the power is not the deciding factor here. Your frequency can be met even at the opposite ends of the efficiency scale. You can decide for yourself.
Ive looked at that and sorry man i didnt understand at all.
according table 1.25 and 4300 will kill my cpu early? because temps arent close to that table, i cant talk about watts neither

im not very experienced on this stuff

according table 1.25 and 4300 will kill my cpu early?
That is a 1800X. Essentially, performance depends on the 4300 and not the 1.25, so max out one while minimising the other.
I told you CC6 works faster at a higher base frequency, although that is just part of it. You will electromigrate the cores if you try to run it manually on full threaded workloads. One even did it at 1.305v. I don't think testing the waters is a good idea, what you have at the beginning is all you will end up with, let's try to make it easier to keep it along the way.
People are accustomed to wrong pbo at onset, so they don't think much about it when in fact you can do better: AMD proved that with 5000. You undervolt to gain more score. It is basic stuff, you save on power to spare more boost power.

Last edited: