• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sailfish OS

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
So what ya think about this? Your thoughts please LINK

Just a thing that came up while I was searching​

https-%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fewanspence%2Ffiles%2F2014%2F02%2FJollaProfile_Image4_Scr...jpg

??? looks like mobile applications . then claims a bit of proprietary software that would add a cost to use for me I'd just stick with Ubuntu or debian for a pc [I like mint] smart phones or tablet I don't use anyway so ??..

I guess you looked at it in articles around

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/01/jolla-sailfish-os-team-interview-mwc/

https://liliputing.com/2017/08/pay-59-install-sailfish-os-phone.html

don't know if you fished this one out yet to look over

https://elementary.io/

I got it downloaded back when but now it looks like you got to pay for it ? [as seen in the pay what you want deal ??]

seemed like you could down load the OS but you pay for the installer now .

kinda goes back to sta6ing with the tried and true Linux destros that's still free to use

one thig I do see with Ubuntu is now some of there software there charging $ for a applications in the software manager list of things ..

thing is Linux is suppose to be ''free'' open source but if you look at it hard today its not so much . theirs a bit of proprietary software in them you just got for free so to say ..

pretty much is Linux that down loads and installs for free like say Linux mint its just a matter of grab it burn a live DVD or bootable pen drive and give it a go . if you don't like it just trash the DVD or wipe the pen drive and your out nothing but the time to try it out . I'm on a live Linux mint 17 dvd now I popped in for internet usage. [ hard to collect data off my harddrives this way and pretty secure .. lol.. ]

I guess you cant do that with a cell phone or tablet and its a take it for all its worth and hope for the best and not finding there trying to charge your C card for it after the fact ?

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Of course it's a mobile OS. Suppose to perhaps in the future to compete with Android and iOS. Was originally meant for like PDAs or Tablets but now they are moving to Smartphones. Just a thing I saw while I was searching the web...

hard to say ? ... if you had a device to try it on and run it for x- amount of time and see . like for the computer I got 3 or 6 Linux 's on dvd or pen drives to play with and don't mind getting another if it makes my fancy to give it a spin . only one I got on a hard drive is mint 17 the rest I just keep bootable dvd or pen drive .

give it a try and give a honest end-user review of it here . a lot on if you feel if any good or hate it is all personal preferences .. you may like it a lot and the next 3 guys may hate it . thing is if you don't try you really don't know for YOU .

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Bah I've played with that OS Elementary and it's not my taste

ya, when I got the elementary OS it was free then after a month or so I told a buddy about it to try / get to see what he thought and that's when that price thing showed up . maybe I'm not looking at it right but notice there no link for down load anymore unless you click on that pick a pay thing ???

seemed like my buddy said unless you choose a payment you don't go to in order to get the download or the installer .

just in my opinion Linux is free to use and open source by the founders bylaws / constitution .. just seems a lot are swaying away from that little by little . like I said even Ubuntu now charges for some of there software if you look through them in there software manger [that's not Linux to me ]

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
So what ya think about this? Your thoughts please LINK

Just a thing that came up while I was searching
Dunno, man. It's nice to have an alternative, but this one seems less promising even comparing to MeeGo some years ago.
Just those screens alone make me cringe, cause it reminds me of a crappy Lenovo's customized Android JB. Add annoying edge-swipes on top and you get a recipe for disaster.

Bah I've played with that OS Elementary and it's not my taste
It does have potential. It's just not ready for mainstream just yet. I might get there though, especially if they can tap into a large software repository.
What's worse, is that this PoS OS now ships by default with any Windows-less ASUS laptop (and some lenovo, I think, but I can be wrong on this one)... Looks and feels kinda like RemixOS or even Chrome OS, but less laggy and more dumbed-down. I'm wondering why wouldn't they just use Linux Mint or Ubuntu instead...

just in my opinion Linux is free to use and open source by the founders bylaws / constitution .. just seems a lot are swaying away from that little by little . like I said even Ubuntu now charges for some of there software if you look through them in there software manger [that's not Linux to me ]
That's how they make their living. If you were using Linux long enough, you'd know that paid linux distros were around a long time, and shareware on Linux / BSD was there even longer.
At one point I bought a 2-year license for commercial Mandriva distro, and even today I do not regret it 'cause it was the most stable and robust distro of them all. Best $50 I ever spent on software (that includes paying for Witcher 3).
As one famous villain once said: "If you are good at something, never do it for free" :D:D:D

In case of Elementary OS, it's just like old Ubuntu download page. You have to do a few clicks to finally get to the actual download. It's a sleazy approach, but after a slight taste of cash from OEMs it's expected. Just like w/ Ubuntu, this "pay what you want" is gonna become "Plz giv uz sum $$$" next to direct download link in a few months.

Audio Device(s) Onboard
I used this OS in its *Free days and I just couldn't get into it. I find Linux MINT better though this OS is still in its testing stages I believe. I used CLOUDREADY and that is better than this one by a long shot though you can't use Linux programs *Yet though idt they'll update it to use them

What's worse, is that this PoS OS now ships by default with any Windows-less ASUS laptop (and some lenovo, I think, but I can be wrong on this one)... Looks and feels kinda like RemixOS or even Chrome OS, but less laggy and more dumbed-down. I'm wondering why wouldn't they just use Linux Mint or Ubuntu instead...
That is easy to answer. It's not a "PoS" OS. I said it wasn't ready for mainstream just yet, but that is only my opinion. It is a good OS for non-techies. Mint is very much better for us power user types because it's more of a hands on and user involved experience. Ubuntu is similar. ElementaryOS is solid, no doubt. Whether you like it depends on your tastes and needs.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
ElementaryOS is solid, no doubt. Whether you like it depends on your tastes and needs.
Even though it's based on Ubuntu, it passess as a separate distro (and not another pUbuntu), only due to "simplification", or as one of russian reviewers called it "feat of minimalization and castration" of the underlying Ubuntu software and services. While the OS itself is pretty, it still suffers from many last-year or older glitches, like occasionally crashing QT-based apps (and then some), bugs in software dependencies, buggy "App Store" which sometimes refuses to update, etc. etc. etc.
I do understand that it's a relatively early v0.4, and that it's not release-ready, but the main question here is: how did this end up on consumer devices and who's fault it is - OEMs or OS devs?
I'm not even gonna dive in into monetization and the commercial side of things, cause it'll be a lengthy 5-page rant of a senile eastern european nerd.

Just cause it's pretty and easy doesn't mean it's good for the end user. There are lots of other things to consider before it's ready. Plus they've worked on this glorified Ubuntu theme for over 5 years (not including the time when it was actually a pimped-up ubuntu theme), mind you. Hardly a good indication of how much effort is put into this thing to finally push it to v1.0, iron things out and make it consumer-ready.

I guess if you pay that falls under a fool and his money are soon parted kinda thing , but to donate to them is fine . [opinion]

it still suffers from many last-year or older glitches, like occasionally crashing QT-based apps (and then some), bugs in software dependencies, buggy "App Store" which sometimes refuses to update, etc. etc. etc.
I did not experience this at all when trying it out.
Just cause it's pretty and easy doesn't mean it's good for the end user.
That depends on your perspective. For some people, that is exactly what makes it good.
I guess if you pay that falls under a fool and his money are soon parted kinda thing , but to donate to them is fine . [opinion]
If you choose the pay what you want option, you can input 0 and still get the download. The pay option is not a paywall so much as it is strong encouragement to support the project if you're going to use it. Personally, it seems better to have a "try it out" option. But whatever.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
I always read the name of this OS as "selfish" for some reason...
One of those reasons might be that they have "giv uz ur moneyz" written all over their website, OS and app store :laugh:
Subliminal associations... lol