• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB failure - recommendations to try & recover?

System Name Prism Monolith V3 (WIP)
Processor AMD 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Non-WiFi)
Cooling EK Necleus Dark 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL15 DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage All the Samsung SSDs (2x M.2 980 Pros, 3x SATA SSDs)
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey 49" 5120 x 1440 @ 120Hz (240Hz)
Case Thermaltake View 91 RGB Edition
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Wireless Pro (Old but gold)
Power Supply eVGA 1200 P2 Platinum 1200W PSU
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 3
Keyboard Corsair K100 (replacing soon)
Software Windows 10 (might be 11 soon)
So, long story short, I installed Samsung Magician to test my SSDs, as I'm going to be upgrading to some newer ones soon, figured I'd test which ones are actually near failure. I had a new 990 Pro 2TB on the way in addition to my new GPU, and was preparing for potentially having to swap out more drives.
Lo & Behold, both my Windows SSD (a 1TB 980 Pro M.2) and my primary game storage SSD (Samsung 870 EVO 4TB in question) were showing bad sectors under Diagnostic Testing & neither will pass SMART Short Self-Test.
I didn't think "Oh I better go ahead & start backing up these drives immediately" because I had parts coming & was going to do said backup AFTER installing the new parts - that was a mistake.

Got the old GPU & cooling loop yanked, I installed my new GPU, got everything wired up temporarily to make sure the GPU & the new M.2 weren't a dud... get in to Windows after making sure temperatures were okay with the new CPU AIO...

And the 4TB SSD is just not there anymore. I immediately go "Surely I knocked a cord lose installing this behemoth of a GPU or something" so I shut down, pull the GPU out, check all the cords... nothing is lose.
Boot back up, start trying to figure out if the drive is DEAD or if something is just acting weird. The drive doesn't show up under My Computer at all, but it does show up under Disk Management, and under Device Manager. Disk Management Shows "Errors", attempt to reactivate/reinitialize the drive does not work.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for things to try before I go the extreme of wiping the drive in an attempt to save it then going for data recovery afterwards, it was a partitioned drive that had 2TB sections, and it had almost 3TBs of games on it (so it's not like I lost anything terribly valueable, but that's a LOT of crap I'd rather no redownload).

Things I've already tried:
Reactivating/reinitializing, Chkdsk doesn't work because it's now showing the drives have letters or are on. DiskPart sees the drive but can't do anything to it.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 181
System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling AIO Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360
Memory 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 OC Edition 12GB
Storage Samsung 970PRO 2TB, Samsung 990PRO 4TB, WD SN850X 2TB, Samsung 980PRO 2TB. WD GOLD HDD 8TB
Display(s) Corsair XENEON 32UHD144 32" 4K UHD gaming monitor
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE7
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium.
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software W10-11 Enterprise- Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon Edition.
It seems something happened with some program on accident or a bad disk.. Partitions that are corrupted or invalid.
Your only solution is to try a recovery program to try to repair files. Most of them are payed program's. If that does not work the only solution is to Secure-Erase the disk, to try to put it back in working state.

The 980PRO showing error's that is one you have to RMA back to Samsung, you have 5 year warranty. If your 870EVO also show error's in Samsung, then you also have to RMA it back to Samsung, there is also 5 year warranty on it.

Can you post a screenshot from the Smart Table of both your SSD? You can use Crystal Disk Info for that, or any other what you like.

I also see a Unallocated space of 16MB on the Games disk, it has a corrupted or invalid partition.

Further i see there is some Dynamic disk, i think you tried out some things to repair, or possible from bad disks.
A dynamic disk is something from mirrored and RAID-5 volumes, spanned and striped volumes. No idea what happened here.
To convert a dynamic disk back to a basic disk, you must delete all volumes and permanently erase all data from the disk. Before proceeding, make sure you back up any data you want to keep.

Currently as i see in the screenshot, everything is messed up.
I see you also have a Samsung QVO SSD installed.

These things also could happen because off; Bad sectors, hard drive issues, bad SATA cable, virus attack, or malware that corrupted the disk data or the partition table.
Improper removal or insertion of the disk that caused the disk to go offline or lose its signature.

It won't be easy and time consuming to fix this. I think it's best to take a backup and reset everything.
But let's see what the Smart Table shows, if bad you should get new disks from Samsung.

If any of these boxes in red are not ZERO, you have bad or degrading drives, and must be replaced ASAP.
Screenshot is also from an 870EVO in good condition.

Screenshot 2023-10-01 111028.png

Last edited:
System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
I would boot from a Linux live install (CD or USB stick) to see what that OS'es option on the matter is. Just to see whether it detects this disk.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Isn't there a thread about these drives?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
why is this showing as a dynamic disk? was another disk in the system that was removed? Did you put this disk back in using a different port?

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I wonder if it was converted to dynamic previously? Microsoft make it every easy to do so, but dynamic disks do have a fair few downsides, one being of course as already pointed out in this thread, its nowhere near as easy to put them back to basic again.

System Name Prometheus
Memory 32GB DDR5
Storage Samsung 970PRO 2TB, Samsung 990PRO 4TB, WD SN850X 2TB, Samsung 980PRO 2TB. WD GOLD HDD 8TB
Case Cooler Master HAF
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
I think to that it was previously in some sort of raid or striped volume. Bring all to a new PC or swap disks, breaks everything and makes the partitions and volumes corrupt.

Always backup before install all in a new PC or swapping disks out in the system... I keep saying this every day, but... That can be the reason that Samsung Magician can't read the volume or partition.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 5950X
This is the only PC that drive has ever been in, that's how Windows set it up when I setup Windows on the system. I bought the Samsung 4TB new when building the 5950X/X570 setup. All the drives in the system were new when it was built, except the 860 1TB EVO.
There is a thread about reliability issues with this very disk, that's why I was hoping someone could recommend some things to try before I go the 'extreme' route of converting it to a Basic Disk & then attempting data recovery.
I'm not really concerned about the unallocated hogwash on the other drives, that happened when it happened & it's not an issue for me missing 16MB of a drive lol

System Name Prometheus
Memory 32GB DDR5
Case Cooler Master HAF
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
No problem, do you see faults in Smart table, can you post this table here please? Then we will know immediately if there is something wrong with the 980 and 870 disk you use.
It begins with an diagnose like the doctor, then we can see here if we can help you. Now we can't say anything yet as we don't have enough information.

With the 860EVO as you say, there never has been problems with them.

Chris_Ramseyer

Phison Rep
Full disclosure, I work for a rival SSD company but this post is from a personal perspective.

I lost a 4TB from this series around 2 years ago full of data. Only some of the data was backed up. The drive was in a notebook but as a secondary drive. I managed to get the drive to work again but was never able to recover the data. The partition table was corrupted.

Processor AMD 5950X
No problem, do you see faults in Smart table, can you post this table here please? Then we will know immediately if there is something wrong with the 980 and 870 disk you use.
It begins with an diagnose like the doctor, then we can see here if we can help you. Now we can't say anything yet as we don't have enough information.

With the 860EVO as you say, there never has been problems with them.
I can't post the SMART Table because Samsung Magician can no longer see the drive, because it's not "active" in Disk Management :-\

System Name Prometheus
Memory 32GB DDR5
Case Cooler Master HAF
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
I can't post the SMART Table because Samsung Magician can no longer see the drive, because it's not "active" in Disk Management :-\
Yes that is known from Magician, if the volume created is not standard most of the things are greyed out. If it don't find a standard volume, it simply does not see your SSD.
If you don't get anything with other program's, then your only solution will be to Secure Erasing that SSD. Like i told before, it will be very difficult to repair that en very time consuming.

I would take an sector by sector backup from that SSD, then Secure Erasing it. Then that drive should then be usable again. With the backup you can restore anywhere you want, to TRY to get data back of it without any danger to do further damage on that volume. I would restore that image on an normal HDD, so you don't wear out your expensive SSD unnecessary. In the mean time your SSD is ready for use again!