• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung 870 EVO - Beware, certain batches prone to failure!

ACME

I have never heard a story like this before. But there are certain sellers who cut the warranty, maybe you won't buy from them in the future.

Did you receive a document from the seller that says 24 months?

Are you an individual or a company?

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Only accept SSD from the year 2023/2024 and you should be good to go, NEVER accept an old SSD lying on the shelves for years. Send or give it back right away. Specially those from 2021 should be avoided at all times! During the pandemic, no one could find chips, so they used what was available on the market with bad consequences.
Samsung make their own chips, why would they be searching the market?

Samsung told me, that 5years warranty ONLY possible IF I buy it from samsung official store

Samsung is misrepresenting their warranty.

I have never heard a story like this before. But there are certain sellers who cut the warranty, maybe you won't buy from them in the future.

Did you receive a document from the seller that says 24 months?

Are you an individual or a company?

This is irrelevant, the product's official marketting media and documentation implies 5 years of warranty regardless of place of purchase, as long as sale is first hand samsung is violating consumer rights, yet again.

No condition of sales point is mentioned on this page

Last edited:

esa66

Hi,
My experience about 2 years warranty in a shop.
I buy it in a shop which give only two years of warranty while the manufacturer give 5 years.
After 2 years, the shop doesn't want to consider the 5 years of the constructor.
I can understand this is more work for them.
It is the same if you come back to the garage with your car and they tell you to contact the constructor yourself : you have to explain a technical issue on a phone in English. This is not possible for everybody.
So, for me, it is not a problem with the constructor but with the service of the shop.
Rmq : I buy it less than 2 years ago, but I decided to do it myself to avoid lose too many time.

So, I call directly the Samsung support which tell me that they know the issue with this device.
They send me a first email where I have to complete a document with informations from the tool Magician and attach a copy of the invoice.
After a few days, I received a second email to send back the SSD via UPS.
So, it is very easy to do. It only take 10 minutes on the phone.

For that reason, the day after, I buy another SAMSUNG SSD 990 PRO PCIe 4.
I'm still waiting the new SSD SATA 870 which will come back to my old computer DELL M4800 (very good LAPTOP).

PS : I make some test comparing SSD 990 PRO and SSD 980.
My point of view are :
  • The 990 PRO is a bit better at same speed and maintains speed high at same t°.
  • The t° rise according to the speed of the process.
Details in attachment, but in conclusion in a LAPTOP, the 990 PRO PCIe 4 SSD will NEVER give it's full speed.

The T° of the SSD or the µP will increase very quickly and limit the speed at +/- 2Gb/s at MAXIMUM : µP can come up to 100 °C and SSD up to 70 °C.
It depends also if you copy large file or a lot of little files : CPU will need more power. Results are different.

For me, 2 Gb/s is fine and 99% of the time, I'll never use it.

Attachments

• Disk-SSD-NVMe-Samsung-Perfpormance.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

ACME

Sora, those who have warranty problems (in Europe) should contact Hanaro Europe B.V. Send them pictures of the SSD and proof of purchase.

Anyway, the original poster doesn't answer anymore so it's a waste of time.

erokube

Interesting news.
info at samsung dot sk
(official Slovak samsung site) replied, that they do not do any RMA, only help customers with products .

Very interesting reply. I asked where to RMA from my location.
Also, local Samsung CEO's link for contact does not work for me
error: timed out
it did work few days ago, so maybe just some glitch

I just hope I will find someone who knows what is RMA within Samsung, in the next 2.5 years, otherwise my 5 year warranty will be truly gone :)

EDIT:
In one email, the very same person signed in the email, told me that IF I did buy this SSD on their eshop, I have the 5 y warranty.
In the next email the very same person told me, that they are not Samsung's eshop..
I guess that person is either drunk,schizofrenic or just incompetent, I would copy the email, but not sure if it is appropiate also it is in Slovak

Is this samsuns email ? secz.contact.us * email.support.samsung *com
I went directly via samsung.com website..

Hm, so how to RMA this SSD ? Is there any RMA link? I opened Samsung account, registered my S/N of SSD, described the issue and provided screenshot/invoice..
.Hmm

Last edited:

erokube

I did read that I should contact Hanaro Europe B.V but how come Samsung can not redirect me to any one ?
Anyway, I will contact them, thanks for the info.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
I just threw a red flag for "POR Recovery Count". :( I would be nervous, if that was my SSD.

I have more than a year's worth of backlog on reading the replies, i think i stopped getting eMails for new replies and then didn't keep track of it anymore.

However, i wanted to post an update on my "failed" 870 EVO 4TB that caused me to write this thread. As a reminder:

So yes, i kept using this failed SSD the whole two years since i posted this thread.

This was the initial state:

CrystalDiskInfo_20220131234924.png

I should note that "Uncorrectable Error Count" and "ECC Error Rate" both went to 4819 shortly thereafter, as i was trying to pull my data off the drive and it got stuck on the files with the bad sectors. Once i had moved off all the data from the drive, and deleted the files i couldn't read out anymore (the ones driving up the two aforementioned values), those bad sectors got remapped. And with the newer firmware, it didn't develop any new ones.

Fast-forward to present day:

View attachment 335449

The POR (Power-on Reset) Recovery Count is completely benign, it just means that the PC shut off hard (no Windows shutdown), which for example happens several times during or after a BIOS update, this is nothing too important, just a log entry.
I never seen it as the entry called "POR", I would just see an entry called "Unexpected Power Loss Count" or something like that.
Your description, sounds like that power loss one that I saw before, where it happens with no OS, very likely. Very likely, when the SSD is wiped then you have it boot to the BIOS setup.

Last edited:
System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling AIO Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360
Memory 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 OC Edition 12GB
Storage Samsung 970PRO 2TB, Samsung 990PRO 4TB, WD SN850X 2TB, Samsung 980PRO 2TB. WD GOLD HDD 8TB
Display(s) Corsair XENEON 32UHD144 32" 4K UHD gaming monitor
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE7
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium.
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software W10-11 Enterprise- Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon Edition.
Hanaro is a known distributor in EUROPE of all kind of products, including SSD's. Your dealer either contact them or Samsung, but many times Samsung will tell you to contact Hanaro first.

For customer's you have to first contact your local dealer where you buy it for support, they should help you with this. Then they have to contact Hanaro or Samsung, that's a service they must give you. Hanaro does not work with individual customer's, that's the dealer's job.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 010435.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-09 012526.jpg

Last edited:
System Name Prometheus
Memory 32GB DDR5
Storage Samsung 970PRO 2TB, Samsung 990PRO 4TB, WD SN850X 2TB, Samsung 980PRO 2TB. WD GOLD HDD 8TB
Case Cooler Master HAF
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
If your own dealer not want help you with this, i would buy my stuff somewhere else. It's his job to do this for you, a service for your client's.

@erokube; Your dealer is making up things, he is lazy to do his job. Never go back there to buy what you need. Five year warranty is five year warranty, point.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9-10900K
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490M Gaming Edge
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2E3200C16
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 512GB & Samsung 870 EVO 2TB & Toshiba X300 12TB
Display(s) LG C1(55")
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Corsair Glaive RGB Pro
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K90
Had a 870 EVO that failed as well. At the time I just removed it and left it a few years. This is regarding a 2TB version, if it matters. After what seems like less than a year, the drive would not show up in file explorer(or rather wouldn't show the capacity, but would show the drive letter), and would hang any process that tried to access it. It has been that way ever since. Thankfully I had no important data on it. I am(finally) about to send it RMA. The drive's production date was 30-01-21 and the model code MZ-77E2T0B/EU.

Last edited:
System Name Prometheus
Memory 32GB DDR5
Case Cooler Master HAF
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Yes sadly, another 870EVO that has deadly long COVID in it's electronics. :mad: Many things made during that time are trash...

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Yes sadly, another 870EVO that has deadly long COVID in it's electronics. :mad: Many things made during that time are trash...
I heared they fired the guy responsible...

System Name Prometheus
Memory 32GB DDR5
Case Cooler Master HAF
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
I heared they fired the guy responsible...
I hoped that they would give a official statement to anyone using their product's, but nothing... At least they could have excused themselves to everyone for the damage done and take their responsibility. But yeah i guess we will never know what the problem was exactly.

wvcaudill2

Hey all, my 4TB Evo 870 completely bit the dust a few days ago with no warning. Woke up one morning, turned on my PC, and it went straight into the bios menu. The SSD could not be detected. I took it out and tried it in many different computers and operating systems, different cables and enclosures, but no luck.

Samsung agreed to RMA it, but before I send it in I wanted to poll the group. Was anyone able to recover any data after the drive became completely unrecognizable to a computer? Furthermore, are there any concerns with sending a drive full of data to Samsung? I have no way to securely erase and since this was my primary drive I am sure it contains some sensitive information. Was Samsung able to recover any data for anyone during the "repair" process?

System Name Prometheus
Memory 32GB DDR5
Case Cooler Master HAF
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Samsung does not repair it, you just get a new one. They don't do anything to recover data at all. They always say you should have made a backup.
But in 2024, i guess everyone nowadays has a backup of their data? I have for sure.

If not recognized in the bios, then it's really dead. No way to recover any data. Maybe a specialized data recovery center can do it for you, but you pay with your blood...
Sorry for the bad news, it's all electronics inside, so when it's broken, good luck with it. :mad:

Last edited:
System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
Hey all, my 4TB Evo 870 completely bit the dust a few days ago with no warning. Woke up one morning, turned on my PC, and it went straight into the bios menu. The SSD could not be detected. I took it out and tried it in many different computers and operating systems, different cables and enclosures, but no luck.

Samsung agreed to RMA it, but before I send it in I wanted to poll the group. Was anyone able to recover any data after the drive became completely unrecognizable to a computer? Furthermore, are there any concerns with sending a drive full of data to Samsung? I have no way to securely erase and since this was my primary drive I am sure it contains some sensitive information. Was Samsung able to recover any data for anyone during the "repair" process?

If it's really sensitive data you can't put it into the mail in the first place.

System Name Prometheus
Memory 32GB DDR5
Case Cooler Master HAF
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
And Samsung has no time or interest to search your data anyway. It's totally pointless from a home user. And broken NAND you can't repair at any way, no one can read it at this state, not even Samsung. If it still was readable you had a chance for repair, but at the current state... :respect: You simply can't recover any data if there's no data left for repair...

Last edited:
System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
And Samsung has no time or interest to search your data anyway. It's totally pointless from a home user. And broken NAND you can't repair at any way, no one can read it at this state, not even Samsung. If it still was readable you had a chance for repair, but at the current state... :respect:

It is easy to imagine that the controller has gone bad and could be swapped. It would fit the symptom of not being recognized by the BIOS.

System Name Prometheus
Memory 32GB DDR5
Case Cooler Master HAF
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
It is easy to imagine that the controller has gone bad and could be swapped. It would fit the symptom of not being recognized by the BIOS.
Yes, COULD. But Samsung does not do this service for sure. Only a professional can do this and even then you need some luck, and hold your wallet ready...

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock