• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire NEW HD 6950 2gb OC edition

Boljack

Processor Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P965 S3 Rev.01
Cooling Thermaltake LCS
Memory 4x1Gb Corsair Xms2 667mhz
Video Card(s) BFG 9800gtx
Storage 250Gb WD caviar
Display(s) LG L226WTX
Case Thermaltake Armor
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
I recently aquired this http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1041&pid=1530&psn=000101 from Newegg..

I think Sapphire is playing dirty as I believe they selling previously owned and returned card as they don't unlock.. These cards probably the ones from the first HD 6950 Dual fan or dirt 3 edition that were returned and they just OC it and rebrand as OC edition..

I tried to post on newegg about the shipping that took 1 week of waiting and about this comments that was never been posted. instead they email me and fix everything in private which I gave newegg a thumbs up! for the resolution they offerd me.

I tried to unlock the card for the first time and while I read the bios I saw it was already been modified previously with RBE in which I believe this was a returned and retuned video card from the previous edition..

just giving a heads up for those of you planning on getting this card.

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory 16Gb Adata Spectrix 3600 Cl18
Video Card(s) Palit GTX970 SLI
Storage Adata 512Gb SX8200 pro
Display(s) 3x 27" 1080p Lg's
Case Coolermaster 690 II pure black
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 750W Masterwatt
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
I don't think it's playing dirty if the card has been tested, is 100% clean, any issues fixed, then reboxed by the manufacturer with a full warranty.

The odd bios may be something sapphire have done themselves. Or it could be you are correct.

Another option exists tho, and that is the seller is unboxing and attempting to flash cards to sell as unlocked HD6950's. I don't think new egg would do this tho.

The last option is that the card was returned, The card would have been returned 100% tested and sent back to the shop floor for a restocking fee. A careful person could bypass the little safety stickers that sapphire use. Since that is the only method of sealing they use.

Your product should have been received sealed by sapphire, Both the box and the anti static bag. If this was not the case contact newegg and tell them they should be able to track any product via it's serial number and will know if it has previously been sold. Also mention the fact the card has the incorrect bios out of the box. In this instance they should replace the card if you think that is important. Or rebate you for a shop second product since you bought new.

The very last option is sapphire could have used the RBE tweak to flash the cards over clocked settings. They may not have tried to unlock the shader, just a mod to the clock speeds to get the OC edition. In this instance sapphire are perfectly in the green with this product.

Defining the term new product is actually very difficult.

In the Uk a new product is something that is free from defects, Boxed and sealed where appropriate.

As new/refurbished simply means it may have been returned, Unboxed, or it may have defects.

Also a new product that has been returned sealed is still considered new if the seals are not broken. In this instance it is up to the seller to decide what grade the product gets. Normally decided upon by the state of the packaging.

An RMA/refurbished card may still be sold as new here if the manufacturer reboxes the device as new. Since it has just undergone extra quality control. (in the hands of a consumer).

As such the definition of new is not as black and white as you may think.

Last edited: