• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire Radeon 9800SE Advantage

SloHands

I purchased this card from NewEgg to replace a Biostar GeForce 4 MX 440 64 bit card. Reason being that it didn't support Direct X 9 for the games I had recently purchased. After much frustration and cursing the new card, I discovered this site.

I've downloaded / installed the ATI Tool (beta) and proceeded to "tweak" the card by over-clocking it. That seems to have solved the problem since Far Cry now works without crashing all the time.

I've not tried it with any of the other games as yet, but I'm hopeful that all 7 games (FPS) I have will function properly. HALO, MOH Pacific Assault, BF Vietnam, MOHaa Breakthrough and BF '42 Secret Weapons all have crashed and refused to play.

My hearty thanks to this site for providing a link to the ATI Tool. It seems to have been the remedy I was in need of so that the games will play.

My PC, which I built, is based on a
SOYO K7VME board
Athlon XP 2700+
FSP 450 watt PSU
1 GB Mushkin (2x512) RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9800SE Advantage
WinXP Pro SP2
Creative SB PCI 128

I have limited funds for upgrading the system, making any additional upgrades is not in the near future.
I do think a better sound card is at the top of the list tho! :rockout:

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
Did you unlock the 4 extra-pipes?

bigboi86

System Name Just getting started....
Processor Athlon II Propus 620 @ 3.51ghz (quad core) L3 cache enabled
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 (great heatsink, 40c max load overclocked)
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR31600 4gb 2x2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 4850 by XFX
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB SATA
Display(s) Acer 21.5 inch viewable G215H 1920x1080p, AOC 22inch 1680x1050
Case Antec 300, stock for now
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Turtle Beach headphones / crappy logitech desktop speakers
Power Supply Corsair 650 watt PSU <3
Software Windows 7 x64
Is the memory in an L shape or an I shape?

The L shaped memory setup can be modded to 9800pro.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186110 get one of these, install on your video card. Your problems are being caused by video card overheat/glitching/just plain sucking. If you really want to kill the problem, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835116012 along with the VGA silencer will super-cool your card. And if its STILL bugging you, then I'm suspecting a weak power supply. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023 should suit your needs just fine. Happy Gaming!

SloHands

Kewl links........ love NewEgg!!!

zekrahminator said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186110 get one of these, install on your video card. Your problems are being caused by video card overheat/glitching/just plain sucking. If you really want to kill the problem, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835116012 along with the VGA silencer will super-cool your card. And if its STILL bugging you, then I'm suspecting a weak power supply. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023 should suit your needs just fine. Happy Gaming!
I've been a long time fan of NewEgg. Directron is also an option since I live in Houston, TX and the warehouse is just a couple of miles from my house.

When funds permit, I'll be looking into adding the cooling products to the card. Kinda figured the card would possibly be a lot hotter than it should be, so adding additional cooling hardware is logical. Until now I've had no reason to mess with overclocking anything, so its not been worth the effort to go there. And, it gets rather expensive at some point.

Thanks for those links and leading me in the right direction for improving on the situation. I really appreciate it! :respect: :toast:

"Is the memory in an L shape or an I shape?
The L shaped memory setup can be modded to 9800pro."

I'm not sure, bigboi86, about what you're referring to here??? Haven't a clue, OK?

pt asked, "Did you unlock the 4 extra-pipes?"

I think that's what the tool did automaticly, so I'd guess that function is in place. ;)

Again, thank y'all for the helpful hints and suggestions. Nicely done! :)

bigboi86

Audio Device(s) Onboard, Turtle Beach headphones / crappy logitech desktop speakers
Software Windows 7 x64
SloHands said:
I've been a long time fan of NewEgg. Directron is also an option since I live in Houston, TX and the warehouse is just a couple of miles from my house.

When funds permit, I'll be looking into adding the cooling products to the card. Kinda figured the card would possibly be a lot hotter than it should be, so adding additional cooling hardware is logical. Until now I've had no reason to mess with overclocking anything, so its not been worth the effort to go there. And, it gets rather expensive at some point.

Thanks for those links and leading me in the right direction for improving on the situation. I really appreciate it! :respect: :toast:

"Is the memory in an L shape or an I shape?
The L shaped memory setup can be modded to 9800pro."

I'm not sure, bigboi86, about what you're referring to here??? Haven't a clue, OK?

pt asked, "Did you unlock the 4 extra-pipes?"

I think that's what the tool did automaticly, so I'd guess that function is in place. ;)

Again, thank y'all for the helpful hints and suggestions. Nicely done! :)

If you look at the memory chips, if they all 4 are right beside each other, it forms a straight line.

If 2 are on one side, and 2 are on the other, it makes an L shape.

Which do you have?

No, ATITool did not unlock the other 4 pipelines, you are only using half of your graphics cards processing power. :p

Flashing it to pro will unlock it. Or using softmodded drivers.

SloHands

bigboi86 said:
If you look at the memory chips, if they all 4 are right beside each other, it forms a straight line.

If 2 are on one side, and 2 are on the other, it makes an L shape.

Which do you have?

No, ATITool did not unlock the other 4 pipelines, you are only using half of your graphics cards processing power. :p

Flashing it to pro will unlock it. Or using softmodded drivers.
The chips are 4 in a row, Bigboi86! :cool:
Flashing? OK, that's not a function I've ever done, so I'm clueless about how that works. (never had reason to go there with any of the hardware! ;) ) Is there a tutorial and link to a 'flash' software???

Thanks! :rockout:

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
if you're getting crashes on the STOCK 9800SE, lets not try softmods/hardmods/flashing BIOS. It could lead to slow-roasting your card. If you can't afford a VGA sillencer right now (I understand completely), do this...buy a 120mm fan, and then magic it using cable ties to blow right on the card. THAT should help you at least a little until you can get a good VGA silencer on there. Happy Gaming!

bigboi86

Software Windows 7 x64
Having the 4chips in a row is a bad thing.

You only have 128bit memory bus.

You can try to unlock the pipelines still with modded drivers, but your performance is still going to be lower than a 9800pro due to the crippled memory bus.

EDIT: My advice is only of course if you aren't having heat issues. You should get that checked out as advised above. ^^^

SloHands

Thanks for the advice.
Its been an "eye-opener" for sure. :toast:

I've over-clocked the card somewhat and that seems to have helped alot. I've downloaded and installed a few demo's and they play well enough.

CoD United Offensive is freakin' awesome...... got my arse handed to me... BIG TIME! :eek: Took a few minutes after play it to realize I'd been holding my breath.
Dayem that's intense gaming.
Whew!!! :laugh:
My favorite game until now has been CoD, but the United Offensive is waaaay out there! :p

HALO still refuses to play. Won't load even. :mad:
Microsoft game! (Go figger, right! :banghead: )
Not a fan of anything M$! :mad:

Oh yeah, the case temp is about the same as before I installed the card. Maybe a degree C of increase. I have six fans running in the case for cooling, not counting the CPU cooler. Case temp is 44 C. CPU running at about 49 C.

BIOHazard87

System Name Leetness
Processor Intel Q6600 @ 3ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Cooling Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
Memory G.Skill 2x1GB 800 HZ
Video Card(s) eVGA 8800GT Superclocked 512mb
Storage 2x Hitachi Deskstar 160gb in RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 204BW 20"
Case Thermaltake Tsunami
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Software Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
what overclock did you reach on it?

SloHands

Core clock: 378.00
Memory clock: 290.25

It was done by using the ATI Tool I downloaded and installed. :toast:

I can still use that tool to push it further, but I hesitate to go there just yet. :p
Not all that comfortable with over-clocking since I don't have the extra money to replace hardware. Baby steps is how I'll proceed. :rolleyes: