• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scratching the upgrade itch

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Kinda wanted MSI MEG X399 and cheapest TR CPU (1900x I think), or 1920x or 1950x. Its a lot of cores for quite low price, nothing comparable from Intel. 16c/32t is quite bonkers for that price..

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Thanks guys, excellent suggestions all around. :rolleyes:
I did see the 2950 promo, sadly I won't be able to take advantage before it's over.

The RAM sticks I'll need to think about, BBB makes a good point about the configuration of RAM I'm looking to get.
I've been looking at sets to see what would let me get the most for the least. The more I browse, the more I see and figure things out.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Let us know how you decide to go forward @Bones, I look forward to a build log ;) :)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Will do, I don't know exactly when I'll get started but will do so.
I'll admit the build won't be anything special and not for competitive OC'ing like I do with the rest of my stuff - Strictly a daily driver..... Well, I might be tempted into a few runs of Cinebench and WPrime. :D

System Name Not an Intel Piece of Shite
Processor Superior AMD Glorious Master Race 2700SEX
Motherboard Glorious low cost Awesome Motherboard 4
Cooling A piece of metal that cools the amazing Ryzen CPU
Memory SAMMY BEEE DAI BABEH
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Case It's red because AMD = red and AMD = awesome
Power Supply 1000W,. but not needed as Glorious RYZEN CPU is extremely afficient unlike that recylced 14nm++ Junk
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Benchmark Scores Higher than Intel shite
2700X is a damn fine chip. :) THere are some pretty decent deals on it atm, Amazon has it at £280~ new with the Division 2 included free. Not sure what the deals are like in the USA but since average price seemed to be around 300-310 here is not a bad deal :D Not sure if you're interested in the DIv 2 but it's added value nonetheless. I Love my 2700X, she will crunch like no tomorrow, run my games at over 100 fps easily, or when i finally get round to finishing my 'Revenge-class Battleship' model, and then render it, will happily do that too, faster than an equally priced Intel for sure^^

Overclockinjg really isnt worth it on 2700x unless you want the extra 5-10% for benching hehe. WIth PBO tweaking, no manual OC, i can get her to 4.05-4.1 GHz all core in Multi-thread loads, like Rendering, and 4.1-4.15 all core in decently threaded video games, or 4.2-4.3 in potato games, with no manual OC at all. So 100% stable as the chip is doing it all for me, and it knows what it can do a lot better than i do lol. All on a £75 Asrock B450M Pro4 and Noctua 120mm air cooler

btw for ram you really cant go wrong with 3200 c14-14-14, samsung b-die. I've had all kinds of AM4 mobos, from B350 to X470, Ryzens from 1200 to 2700x and all of them have no issues with 3200 c14 xmp profile. It's also the sweet spot for Zen in terms of B/W / Latency

Anyway can't wait to hear what you decide to get^^ And I know that Zen won't disappoint you for sure:)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
I know you're right about Ryzen, it's certainly a fantasic chip and as said it's not out of consideration at all.
I know for RAM I need a good set of sticks and the ones you describe are a set I'm looking to get if, for nothing else my other DDR4 pieces. Not looking to do any real hardcore benching with it but don't think I won't be testing it, I will be seeing what I can get at some point, at least on water but subzero isn't out of the question either for kicks (And points).

If I do go with a TR, If it's base is large enough to cover the chip I'll just modify/create a mount for my Susanoo cooler and pop that onto it. Already have it and it's shown it can handle my FX9590 with it's 220W TDP rating so a 180W TDP chip should be doable, at least for planned stock useage but if not I'll just get a good aircooler for it.

I'm glad to hear you love your Ryzen, many coming over from Intel have tried it and loved it themselves. I'm not partial to either one, I go with what works for my needs and that's how I do it, just this time I want a Zen based setup since I already have a DDR4 Intel setup - Actually three total and all have been good so no complaints about them.
As for what I've ran before, well - Here's the list of stuff I either have or had with most of it still here, in working condition and I have a few multiple examples of pieces within the list, also have a few that's not on it (Yet).
https://hwbot.org/user/bones/#Hardware_Library
With all this going on I just want something I can setup as a DD and forget it, leaving all the rest to mess around with as I want and not worry about.

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Will do, I don't know exactly when I'll get started but will do so.
I'll admit the build won't be anything special and not for competitive OC'ing like I do with the rest of my stuff - Strictly a daily driver..... Well, I might be tempted into a few runs of Cinebench and WPrime. :D

Never knew you did HWBot stuff mate, awesome :D I personally gave up about 4 years ago but that's another conversation altogether :)

I know you're right about Ryzen, it's certainly a fantasic chip and as said it's not out of consideration at all.
I know for RAM I need a good set of sticks and the ones you describe are a set I'm looking to get if, for nothing else my other DDR4 pieces. Not looking to do any real hardcore benching with it but don't think I won't be testing it, I will be seeing what I can get at some point, at least on water but subzero isn't out of the question either for kicks (And points).

If I do go with a TR, If it's base is large enough to cover the chip I'll just modify/create a mount for my Susanoo cooler and pop that onto it. Already have it and it's shown it can handle my FX9590 with it's 220W TDP rating so a 180W TDP chip should be doable, at least for planned stock useage but if not I'll just get a good aircooler for it.

I'm glad to hear you love your Ryzen, many coming over from Intel have tried it and loved it themselves. I'm not partial to either one, I go with what works for my needs and that's how I do it, just this time I want a Zen based setup since I already have a DDR4 Intel setup - Actually three total and all have been good so no complaints about them.
As for what I've ran before, well - Here's the list of stuff I either have or had with most of it still here, in working condition and I have a few multiple examples of pieces within the list, also have a few that's not on it (Yet).
https://hwbot.org/user/bones/#Hardware_Library
With all this going on I just want something I can setup as a DD and forget it, leaving all the rest to mess around with as I want and not worry about.

As I said yesterday, the Ryzen rigs I've got I'm very pleased with, granted only a few days of crunching has been had from them but they are very efficient and running extremely well :) I do look forward to the build and seeing what you pick :)

System Name BirdoSwaggins
Processor Threadripper 1900x
Motherboard Asrock x399 Taichi
Cooling Ekwb monoblock and graphics block, 2 360 rad
Memory 16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro 3000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 2080
Storage 500Gb Samsung 970 Pro, 2 Tb Seagate Barracuda sshd
Case Lian Li o11 Air
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
I'm running the 1900x on a taichi board, I love it, plenty of power for rendering my 3d models, I haven't had any issues

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Have to admit I'm probrably overthinking it, Ryzen may well be what I settle on based on cost up front to buy and operate afterwards.
If I still go TR it will be the 2950x chip I'll get.

Or I may just wait and see what happens July 7th.

I'll be honest - ATM I"m mulling over each option because once I pull the trigger I can't reload that bullet and I've only one to use so I'd best make it count.
If I get something it will happen soon, if not I'll wait it out until July 7th and go from there.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
OK - Did the deed and parts are on order.
Decided to go with a Ryzen build after all because even though I can get a TR no prob I can't justify to myself the final pricetag. Other things I had to include in the order for other stuff showed me I'd probrably be better off going Ryzen so I did.

The grocery list of stuff for the build is as follows:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113499
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157834
2 sets of these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814930012

That's not all I have in the order because I had to get some other things for other builds/setup I already have but all this is a definite for this build I'm doing.
More on this once I get it all and start building it.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
There's always the option of moving to a 16 core Ryzen 3xxxX at a later time.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Good point - I do hope they do this, would be nice to have the option.
Only caveat I could see is if a board as is today can handle a chip like that once it appears. I'd have to think if it woudn't the new chip wouldn't be supported and just not work.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Switching out the CPU at a later time might also get you PCIe Gen 4 but probably not over the two Radeon VII.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
ATM it doesn't matter - Card got declined.
Funds are there but for some reason it's getting declined so I'll have to find out why and go from there.
Probrably a good thing too after I saw this in my email after I declined the order so I can get things straight:
Gift my ass 2.jpg

Calling it a gift yet they are gonna charge me $150 for something I didn't want in the first place..... I believe it was for a game?
Gift for them, not me.

EDIT:
Saw how to get around it so the next time this won't happen. I do not like them saying "It's free" when it's not but at least they do provide a way you don't have to include it.
Moral of the story:
Online shopping is getting to be like a stroll through a minefield - Tread carefully.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
ATM it doesn't matter - Card got declined.
Funds are there but for some reason it's getting declined so I'll have to find out why and go from there.
Probrably a good thing too after I saw this in my email after I declined the order so I can get things straight:
View attachment 119522

Calling it a gift yet they are gonna charge me $150 for something I didn't want in the first place..... I believe it was for a game?
Gift for them, not me.

EDIT:
Saw how to get around it so the next time this won't happen. I do not like them saying "It's free" when it's not but at least they do provide a way you don't have to include it.
Moral of the story:
Online shopping is getting to be like a stroll through a minefield - Tread carefully.
I've been going with Amazon for the difference in shipping charges up where I'm at. Amazon though didn't try to charge me for the free games when I bought the RX 480.

Prefer using a Visa prepaid when shopping online.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Gift for them, not me.
It zero's out with the order, but if you cancel the GPU that it goes with, it will charge you for it.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Got things sorted this morning so reordered everything.
Changed the GPU I got, the Powercolor card was a little cheaper so got it instead of the ASRock branded one but should do the same.

Once it's all here the build is on.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
It's here, assembled and running.
Loaded up Win 7 and it's doing OK, I do have a concern over CPU temps - The Wraith cooler clearly isn't all that and the one I did order didn't have an AM4 plate even though the listing said it supports AM4. I can get a plate but that would cost $11 and then an addtional $21 just to ship it - I know it doesn't cost that much to send a thin piece of metal you could stuff into an envelope and mail off. Luckily the cooler can be used with other stuff I have but it's still annoying all the same.

Right now I have the system folding and will let the card run all night to get some points and break it in.
Here's the parts I got and showing how I had it mocked up earlier for some testing before setting it into the case.
DSCF4621.JPG
DSCF4624.JPG

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Grab a Thermalright Cooler Id say

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
That's one I was checking out, good suggestion. :cool:

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Upgrade itch satisfied?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Never! :p

There is always the need for more.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64