• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SeaSonic Launches Trio of Fanless Premium PSUs

Fine, let's do this your way: why is Seasonic not a top PSU maker and who says they brainwash us with their marketing? Please explain and/or link to some reputable sources.
Well that was explained here, with sources. What was unclear about my post there?

ARF

There is not actually as explained before. At least with consumer power supplies, the subject of this topic. Look for example at Corsair, every PSU has the same 100.000 hours MTBF, from Corsair VS350 till AX1600i. You really believe that the MTBF is the same with those two power supplies? Another example is the Prime Ultra Gold/Platinum power supplies which are based on Focus Gold and Platinum. The ones with the Prime Ultra name have a 150.000 hours MTBF rating, but the same ones under the Focus name have a 100.000 hours rating.

150,000 hours is more than 17 years non-stop operation.

You are in the very safe range to give for such a PSU a 10-year or 12-year warranty.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Well that was explained here, with sources. What was unclear about my post there?
Your sources.

Plus, you didn't explain anything in that post. You just made some assumptions.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
The problem with that number is that it's BS, as explained.

Again, what didn't you understand about that post? Because the sources are actually there.
There is no source there (save for a link to JG) to speak of. Only generic allegations with no actual connection to Seasonic.

ARF

The problem with that number is that it's BS, as explained.

SSDs go with 1 million to 2.5 million hours MTBF, that is between 114 years and 285 years non-stop operatiion.
Power supply units go with 100 thousand to 150 thousand hours MTBF, that is between 11 and a half years and just over 17 years non-stop operation.
LED bulbs go with around 20 thousand hours MTBF, that is 2 years and 4 months.

Every single of the components comes with a corresponding warranty duration, the higher the estimated MTBF, the longer the warranty.

When you build a house, how much warrant would you give it ? 100 years ?

I'am sorry but if you don't want to learn, you won't learn anything. I can't make you, but in a couple of years I hope you read this again and you probably understand it then.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I'am sorry but if you don't want to learn, you won't learn anything. I can't make you, but in a couple of years I hope you read this again and you probably understand it then.
Where is the proof? You posted a link to a forum thread... is there a post within that link???

I thought this dude was banned from the thread in the first place? (I see he was reinstated, lol)

There is a difference between an opinion and facts.
Indeed. We are still waiting to hear yours. Can you be more specific in that link you posted where your facts are?

This is the type of comment that got you banned from this thread. There is no need to be a dick about things, especially considering we haven't seen actual facts yet. If your link has them, please provide the post number so we can all see what you are seeing.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
So, going to the source of all this, this is the latest review on the JG website (unfortunately July 2018).

It scores a 9.7 (out of ten), with this telling quote:

The GOOD:

• amazing voltage regulation
  • excellent ripple control
  • super long warranty
  • lots of accessories
  • fully modular
  • semi-fanless mode
  • excellent build quality

The BAD:

• nothing

The MEDIOCRE:

• nothing

Are Seasonic the best brand in the whole wide world? LIkely not, but they are bloody good (see 9.7 score above).

And that's all we need to know. Any illuminati garbage about false reviews and product seeding is nothing more than tin-hat nonsense. You want to beat that drum - be my guest but it paints a clear picture of a reluctance to see the general truth of a product. Those who praise Seasonic aren't being misled, they're happy customers with a rock-solid PSU.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
This. We're all going to bookmark your "wisdom" and periodically come back for enlightenment :roll:

SilverStone begs to differ.

Still, it's hard to design fanless units for smaller form factors as they typically don't have much airflow around the PSU housing, which any fanless unit needs. Fanless Flex-ATX would be incompatible with a lot of Flex-ATX cases simply because they would cover three out of four sides with a steel panel with near zero heat transfer. Same goes for TFX. And frankly a lot of SFX cases too. On the other hand, going the DIY route (with a 12V or 19V AC-DC PSU + a plug-in DC-ATX board like the ones from HDPlex (19V) or Mini-Box (12V)) can net you reasonably powerful yet extremely compact fanless PSU setups.
I know Silverstone has the 450W SFX one (it’s quite heavy!) but it looks like Seasonic doesn’t manage to produce it.
Even though most of the cases covered the PSU space, some DAN-A4-like customized cases from Chinese copycats with SFX/Flex-ATX PSU designed have enough holes for airflow.
According to Chinese SFF users’s comment, SFX is still reasonable but Flex-ATX’s 40mm fan’s noisy problem is serious even replaced by Noctua’s 40mm fan.

DC-ATX has a problem - we need to place a large “brick” (12V/19V AC-DC adapter) outside the chassis. If it can be placed internal, we just need a cable instead of a “brick” which makes us carrying the SFF case easier.

KESM

I think the point of this thread has been overlooked. Seasonic is intentional about making a line up of PSUs that are ‘fanless’ which are targeted @ consumers who desire noiseless builds (HTPC). I have a bequiet! 1200W PSU. The fan, while quiet, is audible when the PC isn’t playing music. This became more pronounced after I replaced all case fans & the CPU fan with the Noctua brand. I’m now interested in purchasing Seasonic’s 700W fanless offering to further eliminate the PSU fan noises. I’m aware there are hybrid offerings but if you don’t need more than 700W @ load...why bother with a fan design that’ll introduce low level noises? You’ll note PSUs with fans do not make the claim to be inaudible. There will likely be noise when a fan is engaged. I know of few or no other manufacturer that offers a 12 year warranty on a PSU that’s equipped with a fan (or no fan) for that matter. I have several brands of components in my build; I tend to learn through trial & error in terms of quality. I don’t buy based on marketing...but rather focus on the performance/function/capacity relative to my desired outcome. In my scenario...I’m seeking a nearly inaudible set up based on the fact that I use my PC as an entertainment hub (late night music & TV/movie streaming).

Last edited: