• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seasonic Rolls Out its First Connect 750W Power Supply

This looks like it's intended to be used with those who also have invested in Custom Cabling, where both colored extensions and colored full-length cables exist and can easily work with both the short cables and direct to the Seasonic power strip.

The idea has merit; but i'd like to see some high-end cases have a "power distribution center" integrated on the back. Like; one just plugs in a full 12V PSU to the integrated center, then the center has all the ports for plugging in the necessary cables to whatever needs it; reducing some of the cable clutter and allowing use of shorter extension cables. Or failing that, a clean pass-through block, where one just plugs the PSU to the appropriate ports, and then on the motherboard side just plug in whatever extensions or custom cables is necessary to power what's on that side. Sort of like one or two of the custom Origin PCs that integrated the power distribution block in the wall separating the cable side from the motherboard side.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
So instead of cables being behind the mobo it's a huge block that isn't flexible...
Because if it was flexible it would help how?

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Personally I don't see the point in this because we already have modular power supplies. I just want super efficient and quiet psu. Or heat management or something like that. At least it's not more RGB crap I guess...

They're trying to slay the hydra.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
The positives:
  • Less clutter near the PSU with wires.
  • Less time wasted messing with wires from the PSU to components.
  • Modular approach still allows only using what wires you need.
The negatives:
  • Will need to be explicitly advertised how it will be mounted.
  • 750 Watts is a little low for more capable rigs (e.g. I would personally need more power).
I really like this idea and how effective Seasonic will be in listening to the concerns of potential customers and in turn address those concerns in their marketing materials will determine the level of success (or lack thereof) this product will have. I really like it though and I hope they succeed. Also I have zero interested in 12v-only PSUs.

Because if it was flexible it would help how?

I'll entertain your silly question. If it we're flexible it wouldn't be limited to space constraints, cables can be bundled together or routed to fit anywhere. I do cable and wire routing for part of my living so maybe I understand things you don't.

This is cool and all but we wont see any real innovation in PSUs until a 12v only standard is established and agreed upon.

Anyone questing it, look inside a modern prebuilt from one of the large vendors. The shear lack of cabling and efficiency of space is much better than anything in the custom world.