• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Security issue in my network somewhere...?

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Always the possibility of ip spoofing but not likely considering the impersonation aspect.

Other than full network scans, I would revoke everyone's license and setup Mac filtering. Mac is an annoyance but this would be temporary while you see if there effects.

And, to be honest, WiFi passwords are relatively moot. The protocols themselves are the problem followed by the router firmware. Provided you aren't backdoored, which is somewhat a lot of work for friend to be pranking you, the Mac filter should let you know what it is going on.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
TW, RR, and Cox.

I'm pretty sure 2 outta 3 of those are now owned by comcast.

Comcast's dhcp doesn't care so much about account, it threw that stuff away with the IPv6 push. It's now mac based, or based on some entropy bits if the mac is already found in the db.

Anyhow, way OT sidenote... I'll see myself out.

The protocols themselves are the problem followed by the router firmware.

This is true. If you are using a bad protocol, password length ceases to matter.

I'd go mac filtering as well.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I'm pretty sure 2 outta 3 of those are now owned by comcast.

RR is owned/partnered with TW who was bought by Comcast Charter. I would be curious to know how dissimilar their networks are and if they chose to keep them dissimilar or adopted the 'better' one. By 'better', I mean the one that is cheapest.

Edit: Changed Comcast to Charter. Also, I am unsure what level of co-op TW and RR were but I do know they are connected. I suppose I also don't know the exact purchase agreement anymore because I was a TW/RR customer and am now a Charter/RR customer. No idea what happened to TW.

I'd go mac filtering as well.

As Bill pointed out, mac filtering isn't necessarily going to stop his problem. But it will definitely tell him if someone is in his network remotely or locally. I also know you know this.

But RR, TW and Cox typically assign the same IP to it.

I can assure you that RR/TW/Charter don't do that. At minimum, I have a subnet of ips that are possible assignments. At best, it is random.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
IPSs don't have an infinite number of IP addresses to give out. In fact, the ranges of IP addresses are limited.

Wait, do you think when an ISP assigns someone an IP address, that address can never be used again even if the IP isn't assigned to the person anymore?

Seriously, look how IP pools work, its like networking 101.

I've not worked with Comcast but have with TW, RR, and Cox. And while they use the modem's MAC address to configure the authorize the connection, it is still tied the owner's account #. If you get a new modem, yes you get a new MAC. But RR, TW and Cox typically assign the same IP to it.

The only time the IP is tied to the account is when the customer has a static IP address, which is extra and usually only available to business accounts not residential. Otherwise, the ISP uses DHCP to assign an available IP from the "non-static" pool. The IP address is assigned randomly from the pool when the modem connects to the ISP's network. The modem's MAC is used to establish the initial connection, but the router's MAC is used to assign the IP and the router's MAC is bound to the assigned IP. Changing the router's MAC changes the person's public IP. It is like this on AT&T, Frontier, Comcast and TW(and maybe the others, but I don't have experience with them). Each ISP has a different DHCP lease times that determine how long before an IP is returned to the available pool.

Last edited:
System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
I've been having some strange things going on lately. Long story short - someone just earlier tonight made an account here at TPU and tried to stir up some trouble... but their account appears to be logged in with my own IP address! My fiancee also says she's had issues in the past on Facebook with other people getting strange messages coming from her with our IP address, but it wasn't her sending them. Apparently, she took it up with Facebook and they dug deeper on that issue and they found out it was actually coming from Wisconsin. If there's a security issue somewhere, I'm not sure where it could be. Whatever it is, it's not something as glaringly obvious as an unsecured Wi-Fi network. What should I do to look for security issues?

You're not using TOR or anything like that on any of your devices? Past IP spoofing, to do anything as complex as you describe would require a VPN or a huge amount of effort. Even if you had a smart device that was compromised, you wouldn't see that happening.
Do you have your router (and modem) with nnon-default admin passwords? Is your router admin page closed to the internet?
How do you know that the TPU IP address was your own IP?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I've been having some strange things going on lately. Long story short - someone just earlier tonight made an account here at TPU and tried to stir up some trouble... but their account appears to be logged in with my own IP address! My fiancee also says she's had issues in the past on Facebook with other people getting strange messages coming from her with our IP address, but it wasn't her sending them. Apparently, she took it up with Facebook and they dug deeper on that issue and they found out it was actually coming from Wisconsin. If there's a security issue somewhere, I'm not sure where it could be. Whatever it is, it's not something as glaringly obvious as an unsecured Wi-Fi network. What should I do to look for security issues?

Maybe I am just too old and grizzled, but this is not a "tech" issue and I am fairly certain your fiancee is not telling you the entire truth. I do wish you the best of luck.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
You're not using TOR or anything like that on any of your devices? Past IP spoofing, to do anything as complex as you describe would require a VPN or a huge amount of effort. Even if you had a smart device that was compromised, you wouldn't see that happening.
Do you have your router (and modem) with nnon-default admin passwords? Is your router admin page closed to the internet?
How do you know that the TPU IP address was your own IP?

Nothing of the sort, that I know of. You can't access my router admin page from the Internet, or even wifi, and the password is not the default password.

W1zzard showed me the troll account was logged in with my IP.

Maybe I am just too old and grizzled, but this is not a "tech" issue and I am fairly certain your fiancee is not telling you the entire truth. I do wish you the best of luck.

It is a tech issue if someone somewhere is up to something fishy... unless, of course, it was her, then it wouldn't be a tech issue. I didn't mention it before because I felt it was irrelevant to tell the whole story, but what happened was someone came here, registered an account, sent me a PM saying "can you send me a private message" and sent her a PM saying something like "is your boyfriend hat cause he's cheating on you and sending me dirty pictures". Now, I'm not sure why she would do something like that, if that's what you're suggesting, but given how ridiculous that sounds considering the situation, I'd prefer to give her a little more credit than that and chalk it up to some random troll trying to cause issues for me.

I don't know how difficult it would be to find my IP and then spoof it, but so far it looks more likely than some glaring security hole in my network. I've got all the basics covered, so it shouldn't be that easy to compromise one of the machines on my network, unless somebody did something that made it easy to be compromised... but everybody's got Windows 10 (with Defender running, of course) and we're behind a not ancient router, so it shouldn't be that easy.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Nothing of the sort, that I know of. You can't access my router admin page from the Internet, or even wifi, and the password is not the default password.

W1zzard showed me the troll account was logged in with my IP.

It is a tech issue if someone somewhere is up to something fishy... unless, of course, it was her, then it wouldn't be a tech issue. I didn't mention it before because I felt it was irrelevant to tell the whole story, but what happened was someone came here, registered an account, sent me a PM saying "can you send me a private message" and sent her a PM saying something like "is your boyfriend hat cause he's cheating on you and sending me dirty pictures". Now, I'm not sure why she would do something like that, if that's what you're suggesting, but given how ridiculous that sounds considering the situation, I'd prefer to give her a little more credit than that and chalk it up to some random troll trying to cause issues for me.

I don't know how difficult it would be to find my IP and then spoof it, but so far it looks more likely than some glaring security hole in my network. I've got all the basics covered, so it shouldn't be that easy to compromise one of the machines on my network, unless somebody did something that made it easy to be compromised... but everybody's got Windows 10 (with Defender running, of course) and we're behind a not ancient router, so it shouldn't be that easy.

Seems odd to do something like that on TPU and not regular social media, if true, it would appear targeted. But why bother spoofing your IP or using your network? Change the wifi passwords anyway, it could be a malicious neighbour maybe? I myself am a fan of Occam's Razor, not that it's always correct.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440

Setup MAC filtering. It will take an hour and you will know with almost 100% certainty what is happening.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Seems odd to do something like that on TPU and not regular social media, if true, it would appear targeted. But why bother spoofing your IP or using your network?

Yeah, that seems odd to me too. Why so specific as to create an account here at TPU and cause trouble? And how did the person get hat's IP to spoof it? It's not like IPs that people post from are public here at TPU. And if it is just someone that broke into hat's network, why create an account here and start trouble? That seems so specific, and not what I'd do if I got into someone network. The whole thing seems odd. It just seems like a lot of work just to get someone banned from TPU...

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Wait, do you think when an ISP assigns someone an IP address, that address can never be used again even if the IP isn't assigned to the person anymore?
Of course it can. I am saying that is part of the problem. Because there are a limited number of IP addresses, it definitely will be assigned again. But that, in itself creates problems. How do sites like TPU permanently ban JoeBadGuy if he keeps coming back, but with a new username? They ban the IP address, right? So then what happens if you get JoeBadGuy's old IP? You are banned before you can even start here. So ISPs avoid IP addresses getting assigned and re-assigned willy-nilly.

It is just like phone numbers in the US. There is a limited number per area code. There's even a limited number of area codes. I got a new cell phone last year and decided to get a new phone number with it. Big mistake. On the way home from the phone store, I got a spam text from bill collectors for "Meghan" - the previous holder of that phone number! To this day, I get a dozen or so text messages and robo-calls a week for her.
Seriously, look how IP pools work, its like networking 101.
I know how the pools work. I used to manage one. But pools are not bottomless oceans.
Each ISP has a different DHCP lease times that determine how long before an IP is
This is true. And 25+ years ago when I first got broadband (Cox cable Internet) in my home, all I had to do to get a new IP address was unplug my modem for 24 hours plus 1 or 2 minutes, plug in the modem again and I got a new IP. Today, I can leave my modem disconnected while away from home for 3 weeks (as I was earlier this year), come back and still have the same IP.

FTR, I am NOT saying my account # with my ISP and my IP address are tied together as part of any network/DHCP "protocol" connecting my network to theirs. My apologies if I was unclear there.

I am saying it is typical SOP (standard operating procedure) or ISP "policy". That is, I am saying in the ISP's "billing" data base, my assigned IP is linked to my account number, which of course is tied to my physical address, my modem and my modem's MAC address. And unless I call up and give them a convincing story as to why I need a different IP address, that IP is mine - permanently until I terminate my service with them.

I buy my own modems (I don't rent from my ISP). And as I noted above, I have upgraded my modem 3 or 4 times over the years. New modems of course have new MAC addresses. Yet after getting my new modems, I still have the same IP address I've had for years - and that was by my ISP's "policy" they use to manage their pool. I don't believe Cox is unique in how they manage their pool.

But I could be wrong. So I would ask those of you who are saying your ISP doesn't assign your IP to your account to give them a call and ask for a new IP address assignment. If they don't have a policy tying them together, it should take all of 60 seconds to get a new one. Let us know how cooperative they are and how easy it is to get a new one. I know for a fact, as someone who was a network manager for a big network, that technically, for someone with the proper admin credentials, it is a simple task that can be done in a few seconds.

But will the ISP's policy allow it? I hope it is as simple as some here are suggesting. But I will not be surprised if not.
Setup MAC filtering.
Getting around that is almost as easy for a fairly talented badguy as getting around disabled SSID broadcasting. MAC filtering certainly can help with limiting the number of connections to your own network. But it is not really a security precaution because it is not an effective barrier at blocking unauthorized access by a knowledgeable badguy determined to get in.
But why bother spoofing your IP or using your network?
Badguys (or mischievous neighborhood whizkids) might do this to hide their own dubious or illegal activities. Or a disgruntled or rejected X might do this to bring unwanted attention on you. As far as using your network - that is a common practice on metered networks. They use your bandwidth instead of theirs. Or perhaps they don't even have Internet.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Getting around that is almost as easy for a fairly talented badguy as getting around disabled SSID broadcasting. MAC filtering certainly can help with limiting the number of connections to your own network. But it is not really a security precaution because it is not an effective barrier at blocking unauthorized access by a knowledgeable badguy determined to get in.

If you read my posts fully, you would see that I said it wouldn't fix his problem. Only let him know with near certainty what it is. Here, let me requote that for you.

As Bill pointed out, mac filtering isn't necessarily going to stop his problem. But it will definitely tell him if someone is in his network remotely or locally. I also know you know this.
Setup MAC filtering. It will take an hour and you will know with almost 100% certainty what is happening.

Notice I said "it won't fix your problem".

But I could be wrong. So I would ask those of you who are saying your ISP doesn't assign your IP to your account to give them a call and ask for a new IP address assignment. If they don't have a policy tying them together, it should take all of 60 seconds to get a new one.

I get a new IP nearly anytime I instruct my router to renew it's lease. It's not every time but I can usually do it once a month. I presume it happens when leases are available. No leases available, I get the same ip with a new lease

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
No we do not.
Thanks, I stand corrected. But then it seems a spammer or troll, as examples, could not be permanently banned. All he or she needs to do is register again with a different user name. Right?

I realize even blacklisting an IP address is somewhat futile with a determined troll. But eventually [hopefully] they will get tired of changing their IPs and move on to another site.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Thanks, I stand corrected. But then it seems a spammer or troll, as examples, could not be permanently banned. All he or she needs to do is register again with a different user name. Right?

I realize even blacklisting an IP address is somewhat futile with a determined troll. But eventually [hopefully] they will get tired of changing their IPs and move on to another site.

We have tricks, w1zzard makes it easy to find them.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
We have tricks, w1zzard makes it easy to find them.
:) I understand. I'm on the staff at a couple sites too. So I understand your vagueness. ;)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

That's kind of the reason I'd do it.

Sorry for not clarifying. To really solve a problem like this, you need to identify the entry point. Mac filtering helps you know if it's "inside" or "outside."

Last edited:

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Any update on this issue @hat ?

I'm hoping that you resolved this problem my friend.