• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

segotep psu

I noticed on eBay a new brand of PSU called Segotep that are claiming 80 plus gold and are both modular and cable varieties.

Anybody got one of these and if its any good?

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Never heard of it. Do you have pictures of them?

Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Hmmm, never heard of them either but research shows they are not a new brand as they've been around over 15 years - at least in China. And I see that Newegg US carries several of their PSU models. As does Amazon US.

I found several PSU reviews that generally found little to complain about - though they didn't rave about them either. The general consensus is they offer decent service and value for the money.

claiming 80 plus gold
And that would be a valid claim too as verified here.

So based on the limited information I can find, you could certainly do worse.

I discovered that Segotep is owned by Circle who I have heard about.

Circle is a low end operation that sells in India etc. Circle power supplies are 80 plus white at best.

Segotep was more interesting as it was 80 plus gold and better than the old Circle models etc. Found one blog and translated it showed the PSU was loaded hard and after sleeping for 8 hours the machine was still running fine. This suggests the PSU is honest with the 12V supply.

Processor 3900X 4.425
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Software Win 10 Pro
Any decently built PSU can stand that, in fact Hardocp did this torture test to every PSU they tested. The build of the unit looks fine, but then again I'd still recommend getting something you have more info about, along with a proper warranty plan. Like the Seasonics I mentioned.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This suggests the PSU is honest with the 12V supply.
That does not suggest that at all. All passing an 8 out test tells us is the PSU was (1) not over loaded and (2), received adequate cooling.

I discovered that Segotep is owned by Circle
Oh? Got a link? I just spent some time with my friends Bing Google and can find nothing to suggest Segotep, which is headquartered in China, has any relationship with Circle which is in India.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
They look like a Chinese spin off of corsair or at least thermaltake.

Their website honestly looks pretty well done. Why would you invest so much time and money into making your website look so damn good if your products are absolute garbage and youre just out to cheat people?

Though with that said. A good looking website could be part of their deception. The domain name/address was registered in Jan 09, 1996 though.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Though with that said. A good looking website could be part of their deception.
Except as noted through the link in my first post above, the company does indeed have several supplies that are 80 PLUS certified. Those certs are not given away. Not only do companies have to pay Plug Loads Solution to get their PSUs certification tested, but the supplies actually have to meet or exceed the criteria to pass those certification tests. It is only then the companies are authorized to claim a particular PSU is 80 PLUS certified and are authorized to put the 80 PLUS logos on the product and packaging.

And there's no way Plug Load Solutions would list those Segotep PSUs on the Plug Load Solutions page unless the supply really did pass the certification tests. There are just too many legitimate testing sites, like TPU for example, that verify the certs are deserved. If supplies could not live up to their 80 PLUS rating, TPU and other review sites would report that and that would ruin Plug Load Solutions' reputation and the integrity the entire 80 PLUS certification process.

So if a company is willing to go through that certification process to earn the right to claim 80 PLUS Bronze or Gold or whatever, then I don't see how any deception could occur.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Looks legit to me though quality is of course a whole other question.

We already know 80 plus bronze doesn't tell the whole story nowadays and that bar is steadily moving up as the OEMs can bring more efficient designs in general. I'd be wary. Its either dirt cheap and then automatically suspect, or it will be priced close to a trustworthy alternative... so then why not pick the latter.

On the website, looking at the Contact Page does give a somewhat different impression though (differences in font, spacing, only one contact name, and the address... good luck finding them on it). And we already know how far people can go these days to make stuff look legit. The About pages... well, typical Chinese I'll say. And that could spell anything from glorious to doom.

Peace of mind versus a few bucks...

Processor 3900X 4.425
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Power Supply AX1500i
Software Win 10 Pro
Lying on 80 Plus has been a thing for God knows how long... a lot of low end garbage can not deliver their rated 80 Plus under hot box tests when the units are loaded heavily.

Though this is likely not a case with this PSU I linked to, which had a proper looking topology, I'm unsure about their other PSUs and he shouldn't really pick these over well known and tested units either.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
We already know 80 plus bronze doesn't tell the whole story nowadays
80 PLUS any color/metal doesn't tell the whole story. Never has. All those certs tell us is how efficient a supply is across a variety of loads. And it is this "variety" of loads that matters.

A typical electronics PSU is typically most efficient at only one load level. Efficiency typically falls rapidly off on either side of that level. The efficiency curve will look like a bell (hence bell curve). This is NOT a problem for many types of electronics that have a consistent power demand, and so present the power supplies with a consistent load. A TV or monitor, for example, will have a pretty consistent power demand so engineers can simply match the TV to a power supply that is most efficient at that power load.

A computer, on the other hand, will demand peanuts when idle, all the way up to several 100 watts when tasked. So a computer power supply that presents a "flat" curve across a full range of loads is desired. That's where 80 PLUS comes in.

80 PLUS certification just says the supply will be at least 80% efficient at 30%, 50% and 100%. 80 PLUS certification does NOT automatically imply the supply is more reliable, made of higher quality parts, has better regulation, or better ripple suppression. And while Gold ensures better efficiency than Bronze, the criteria for Bronze "nowadays" is the same as it always has been. The only difference from these days and those in the past is consumers perceptions and expectations - due in part to the much greater availability and affordability of Gold and higher rater supplies.
Lying on 80 Plus has been a thing for God knows how long...
This is true. That's why I provided a link to Plug Load Solutions to verify if Segotep was lying or not. And they aren't - at least not with the listed supplies.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Except as noted through the link in my first post above, the company does indeed have several supplies that are 80 PLUS certified. Those certs are not given away. Not only do companies have to pay Plug Loads Solution to get their PSUs certification tested, but the supplies actually have to meet or exceed the criteria to pass those certification tests. It is only then the companies are authorized to claim a particular PSU is 80 PLUS certified and are authorized to put the 80 PLUS logos on the product and packaging.

And there's no way Plug Load Solutions would list those Segotep PSUs on the Plug Load Solutions page unless the supply really did pass the certification tests. There are just too many legitimate testing sites, like TPU for example, that verify the certs are deserved. If supplies could not live up to their 80 PLUS rating, TPU and other review sites would report that and that would ruin Plug Load Solutions' reputation and the integrity the entire 80 PLUS certification process.

So if a company is willing to go through that certification process to earn the right to claim 80 PLUS Bronze or Gold or whatever, then I don't see how any deception could occur.

yeah but how many times have you heard of a chinese product being certified to the moon and back and it not being legit? Just like cheap powersupplies that claim to be 600w units but are really 250-300w.

It doesnt matter if PLS are handing out certifications or not - If these people think they are going to sell more by slapping a bunch of lies on the box then thats what they will do.

As for reviews - its working. Because the brand itself only really caters towards the Asian market so proper reviews for those power supplies are non-existent. All you have are some old forum threads from 2009 or something asking if a brand nobody's really heard of before is good or can be trusted.

Do you really think Chinese bootleggers care about the legitimacy of their products? How many times have you seen threads on these forums from users who purchased 1050Ti's that turned out to be GT-450's?? If PLS sends them a cease and desist letter. They are not gonna care. PLS most likely dont have any power in China.

Unless Chinese manufacturers willingly submit their own products to be tested and certified then there is nothing PLS can do.

You of all people should know that non-legit companies dont care.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
yeah but how many times have you heard of a chinese product being certified to the moon and back and it not being legit?
Many times. Which again is my point to check the Plug Load Solutions list and verify that product really is legit.
It doesnt matter if PLS are handing out certifications or not - If these people think they are going to sell more by slapping a bunch of lies on the box then thats what they will do.
Come on! It does matter - but only if we do our homework. And PLS is not "handing out" certs.
As for reviews - its working. Because the brand itself only really caters towards the Asian market so proper reviews for those power supplies are non-existent. All you have are some old forum threads from 2009 or something asking if a brand nobody's really heard of before is good or can be trusted.
Come on!! Do a little homework before posting this nonsense. It takes 10 seconds to see there are reviews being done outside of Asia. I just personally don't know how reputable they are because they are not review sites I frequent. And contrary to your biased stereotyping, just because a product or brand caters towards "the Asian market", that does NOT automatically imply inferior products or deceptive marketing tactics.
You of all people should know that non-legit companies dont care.
Gee whiz dude!!! Are you even reading what I've been saying? Obviously not. :( Where did I suggest non-legit companies care? I didn't. So why are you suggesting otherwise? That's just not cool! :(

If I thought for a second that every PSU maker was legit or that every PSU maker (legit or not) cared, I would not have (multiple times now) suggested folks verify those 80 PLUS certs with the 80 PLUS cert issuer.
then there is nothing PLS can do.
Sure there is! PLS does not have to list them on PLS's pages of certified PSUs. And PLS can go to Amazon, Newegg, B&H, Best Buy, etc. and report the counterfeit claims. Those retailers will pull those products and block those sellers.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
A typical electronics PSU is typically most efficient at only one load level. Efficiency typically falls rapidly off on either side of that level.
I think our definition of 'rapidily falls off on either side', differs.
The efficiency curve will look like a bell (hence bell curve).
Flattest bell I've seen....

If the PSU is 80 Plus Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum/Titanium, the difference between the measurement points is 3%. So at 20% load, 50% load and 100% load (where 80 Plus is tested) that difference is no more than 3% (outside of Titanium where there is one 4% gap). Now, maybe if you would have said below 20% (or perhaps above 100%?) I could agree with that sentiment, but, this rating list and a simple look a charts where they start at zero show something different. Perhaps a sharp increase from 0-20%, then no more than 3% (excl. titnm) difference between 20%-100%. I'd call that closer to pretty flat and slow slope than 'rapidly falling off on either side of that level.

80plus.jpg

psucrv.jpg

When you manipulate and chop off data like below, it can be more of a bell I suppose... but a rapid drop off on either side of 50%/the most efficient part, isn't true...and if we look at the curve as a whole, outside of the initial ramp up, it is pretty flat.

Efficiency.jpg

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I think our definition of 'rapidily falls off on either side', differs.
Flattest bell I've seen....
Sadly, I fear in your haste to prove me wrong, you misread what I was saying.

I said, a typical "electronics" power supply has a bell shaped curved - the efficiency typically peaks at only one or maybe two points. And that's because those supplies are on electronics that present a fairly consistent load. Like a clock, or monitor, or some other device that only has one task.

I then added an 80 PLUS "computer" power supply has a relatively and fairly flat curve from 30 to 100%. And that's because computers present constantly varying loads on their supplies because they perform a variety of tasks from idle to hard core gaming or graphics rendering. So your illustrations with your 80 PLUS showing a mere 2 or 3% difference illustrated "my" point - that those 80 PLUS "computer" power supplies do have a "flat" curve, thus showing we are in total agreement there.

Back in the day before 80 PLUS certs came about, your budget DEER or Best brand PSUs were lucky to get 70% efficiency and that typically was only at the peak of the "bell". Either side of that peak point and it dropped off rapidly.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Sadly, I fear in your haste to prove me wrong, you misread what I was saying.
Haste to prove you wrong? Lol, piss off... it was just to get facts out on the table. Reading further and with more clarification would have helped me, however. :D

But if you want me to prove you wrong and fulfill your prophecy.......80 Plus rating is 20% on the low side, not 30%. ;)

EDIT: I do apologize for jumping the gun... totally my fault.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
EDIT: I do apologize for jumping the gun... totally my fault.
Thanks for that, ED. :)
But if you want me to prove you wrong and fulfill your prophecy.......80 Plus rating is 20% on the low side, not 30%.
LOL - well if you really want to prove which is right, it's neither because "on the low side", it's 90% efficient at "10%" load with Titanium supplies! But who's counting? ;)

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
More competition is good, but I would wait for a review from a Western outlet with proper load-testing equipment (e.g. TPU :)) before buying one of these.

Last edited:
System Name HP Pavilion a6552f
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Motherboard Asus IPIBL-LB / HP Benicia-GL8E
Cooling DeepCool Gammaxx 200
Memory 8gigs Kingston 4x2gigs DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Zotac GT630 "Fermi" 2gb DDR3 128bits Synergy Edition
Storage Western Digital Green 7200rpm 1tb
Display(s) LG Flatron EW234 Super LED
Case HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 430w
Mouse Razer Abyssus Mirror Special Edition Blue LED
Keyboard Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Commander Red LED Backlighting Mechanical Keycaps Membrane Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits
They look like a Chinese spin off of corsair or at least thermaltake.

Their website honestly looks pretty well done. Why would you invest so much time and money into making your website look so damn good if your products are absolute garbage and youre just out to cheat people?

Though with that said. A good looking website could be part of their deception. The domain name/address was registered in Jan 09, 1996 though.
Yup that yellow and black psu looks a lot like my Corsair 520w

HABAR

Segotep is a Chinese manufacturer. It's qualified. Its certificates are real.

System Name HP Pavilion a6552f
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Motherboard Asus IPIBL-LB / HP Benicia-GL8E
Cooling DeepCool Gammaxx 200
Memory 8gigs Kingston 4x2gigs DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Zotac GT630 "Fermi" 2gb DDR3 128bits Synergy Edition
Storage Western Digital Green 7200rpm 1tb
Display(s) LG Flatron EW234 Super LED
Case HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 430w
Mouse Razer Abyssus Mirror Special Edition Blue LED
Keyboard Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Commander Red LED Backlighting Mechanical Keycaps Membrane Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This brand isn't trash.
Pretty sure that was not their point.

You made it sound like you were saying Segotep was qualified and its certs were real because it is a Chinese manufacturer. At least that is how I took your post.

All I know is the more respectable products from China are surfacing daily.

Right now I have a Corsair HX1000i which still works. I simply was curious about this less costly contestant.