• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sennheiser GSP 600

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
The Sennheiser GSP 600 is the company's new top-of-the-line gaming headset. It's essentially a simple analog headset with no RGB LEDs or similar gimmicks. Does it offer enough in terms of sound and microphone quality, as well as wearing comfort, to justify the $250/€249 price tag?

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Anyone else thinks that red ruins an otherwise ok(ish) design?

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
I agree there, I'd rather they toned down the colour scheme to just black, or black and grey

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Make a wireless version and then we can talk.

System Name Raptor
Processor Core i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling ArcticFreezer 420
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock 3080Ti OC
Storage M.2 Addlink S70 Lite , Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, 1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A
Case LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC4080 Codec + Philips SHP9500
Power Supply Seasonic GX-1000
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard ASUS CERBERUS
Software Windows 10
Great review Inle , thanks for all the details , they need to tone down the futuristic look and drop down the price to around ~200 until then I'll keep using my Philips.

Reactions: Fx
System Name unnamed currently :*(
Processor Intel Core i7-5960x
Motherboard ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Cooling EKWB/Bitspower CPU, motherboard & GPU WB
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4gb ddr4 2666
Video Card(s) nVidia GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 1 TB M.2 SSD & WD Black 5TB HDD
Display(s) Asus SwiftROG PG278Q & Asus PB277Q
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Corsair Axi1200
Mouse Steel Series Sensei RAW
Keyboard Corsair K70
Benchmark Scores 4.8 ghz @ 1.37 - 5930k - old cpu 4.6 GHZ @ 1.3 - 5960X - current cpu
Who cares what it looks like as long as it performs exceptionally well but you could always paint it since there isn't alot of red to begin with.

Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ (2X16GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GTX1080ti Super JetStream 11GB
Storage Trandscend 370s 256GB / WD Caviar Black 2+1TB
Display(s) Acer XB270HU 144hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Eclipse P600S White
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X 1000W 80 Plus Gold
I wish they make a mic-less version and price it a little cheaper. I never like wearing headphones when gaming. I only use them for movies and musics and it's hard to find a comfortable, affordable and durable cans for PC these days.

Hey thanks for the review. Im looking at gettimg an upgrade this week(from Cloud 2s) to either GSP500 or 600 and Arctis Pro.

I know you havent done the review on the 500 yet but how does is fair to the 600 and whuch would you choose. Ive never used a set of open backs before and where Im based you can only purchase and theres no demos.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
Hey thanks for the review. Im looking at gettimg an upgrade this week(from Cloud 2s) to either GSP500 or 600 and Arctis Pro.

I know you havent done the review on the 500 yet but how does is fair to the 600 and whuch would you choose. Ive never used a set of open backs before and where Im based you can only purchase and theres no demos.

Let's put it this way, how good is your sound card?

If it's good (no noise on the microphone input, good sound performance on the output), you should pick between the GSP 500 and GSP 600.

If it's not good, get the Arctis Pro, as it comes with its own external sound card.

I can help you with the GSP 500 vs GSP 600 dilemma as well, as I currently have both at my disposal. The GSP 500 sounds more open and airy, because of its open-back design. However it leaks sound both from the inside out and from the outside in. In other words, if you use your headset in noisy environments or in a room where you could bother someone from the noises coming from your direction, go with the GSP 600. The GSP 600 is completely sealed (closed-back) and as such doesn't leak sound in either direction.

My game room is separated from the rest of my apartment so I'd pick an open-back headset/headphones over closed-back. On the other hand, in my previous apartment my PC was located in the living room, so using a closed-back headset was the only viable option.

I hope that helps! And thanks to you and others for your kind words about the review, I'm very happy you like it!

Let's put it this way, how good is your sound card?

If it's good (no noise on the microphone input, good sound performance on the output), you should pick between the GSP 500 and GSP 600.

If it's not good, get the Arctis Pro, as it comes with its own external sound card.

I can help you with the GSP 500 vs GSP 600 dilemma as well, as I currently have both at my disposal. The GSP 500 sounds more open and airy, because of its open-back design. However it leaks sound both from the inside out and from the outside in. In other words, if you use your headset in noisy environments or in a room where you could bother someone from the noises coming from your direction, go with the GSP 600. The GSP 600 is completely sealed (closed-back) and as such doesn't leak sound in either direction.

My game room is separated from the rest of my apartment so I'd pick an open-back headset/headphones over closed-back. On the other hand, in my previous apartment my PC was located in the living room, so using a closed-back headset was the only viable option.

I hope that helps! And thanks to you and others for your kind words about the review, I'm very happy you like it!

I got my GSP 500 today. For the big head I have they fit amazing.
However as awesome as clarity is I feel these dont get loud enough in game like PUBG. Like everything is faint in comparison to my Asus Strix DSP and my Alphas. Im using a Strix Soar to power them and they set to high impedance...Is it just me? Music and movies are very decent though. Im not sure if something is wrong on my end or should I return for the GSP 600 or Arctis Pro.

Since you have both at your disposal any chance of pairing the GSP 600 ear cups on the 500 ?

Last edited:

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
I got my GSP 500 today. For the big head I have they fit amazing.
However as awesome as clarity is I feel these dont get loud enough in game like PUBG. Like everything is faint in comparison to my Asus Strix DSP and my Alphas. Im using a Strix Soar to power them and they set to high impedance...Is it just me? Music and movies are very decent though. Im not sure if something is wrong on my end or should I return for the GSP 600 or Arctis Pro.

Strix Soar should be more than powerful enough to drive the GSP 500. Their impedance is only 28 Ω. Here's a silly question - did you turn the volume up on the headphones themselves, not only in Windows? The volume knob could be easy to miss, as it looks like an integral part of the headset's frame:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sennheiser/GSP_600/images/volume-dial.jpg

The Arctis Pro doesn't go very loud with its own sound card, that's actually something I addressed in my review and mentioned in the "cons" list:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SteelSeries/Arctis_Pro_GameDAC/8.html

You mentioned that you also own the HyperX Cloud 2, if I'm not mistaken? Here's another thing you can try - plug the GSP 500 into the Cloud 2's sound card and see if you get better results.

Reactions: Kei
Strix Soar should be more than powerful enough to drive the GSP 500. Their impedance is only 28 Ω. Here's a silly question - did you turn the volume up on the headphones themselves, not only in Windows? The volume knob could be easy to miss, as it looks like an integral part of the headset's frame:

thumbnail.jpeg

The Arctis Pro doesn't go very loud with its own sound card, that's actually something I addressed in my review and mentioned in the "cons" list:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SteelSeries/Arctis_Pro_GameDAC/8.html

You mentioned that you also own the HyperX Cloud 2, if I'm not mistaken? Here's another thing you can try - plug the GSP 500 into the Cloud 2's sound card and see if you get better results.

I checked everything there is including individual app volume and its all maxed out.
I have since tested Witcher 3 and Project Cars 2 and the sound quality is AMAZING!!! It seems like PUBG does not like me at all as most sounds seem to be average with only gun shots sounding like they will knock my ears off.

Made a mistake, dont have Cloud 2s...Have Cloud Alphas. Maybe Im just used to a closed back headset that makes me feel these slight differences. Volume wise are the GSP 500 and 600 equal? Like raw loudness?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sennheiser/GSP_600/images/volume-dial.jpg
thumbnail.jpeg

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
I checked everything there is including individual app volume and its all maxed out.
I have since tested Witcher 3 and Project Cars 2 and the sound quality is AMAZING!!! It seems like PUBG does not like me at all as most sounds seem to be average with only gun shots sounding like they will knock my ears off.
Made a mistake, dont have Cloud 2s...Have Cloud Alphas. Maybe Im just used to a closed back headset that makes me feel these slight differences. Volume wise are the GSP 500 and 600 equal? Like raw loudness?

The GSP 600 would seem a bit louder, because of its closed-back nature. But it has a slightly different sound signature for that very reason as well. It sounds more "dramatic", while the GSP 500 is more natural of the two. If I was in your place, I'd give the GSP 500 a bit more time - once you get used to the openness and airiness of the sound, it's going to be hard to go back to any closed-back headphones :)

Processor i7 4770K
Motherboard Asus Z87-Expert
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S, &case fans all controlled by Aquaero 6
Memory 2x8GB TeamGroup Xtreem LV 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Storage Samsung 840 Pro + 2x 5GB WD Red@RAID1
Display(s) Dell U3014
Case Lian Li PC-A71B
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR, Objective2 (2x), AKG K702&712, Beyerdynamic DT990
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 (+Eaton 5P 1550 as "backup power")
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G810
Strix Soar should be more than powerful enough to drive the GSP 500. Their impedance is only 28 Ω. Here's a silly question - did you turn the volume up on the headphones themselves, not only in Windows? The volume knob could be easy to miss, as it looks like an integral part of the headset's frame
Actually that very low impedance isn't automatically good thing.
Strix Soar and Strix Raid Pro (which should be identical except for latter's volume controller module) appears to be continuation to one Xonar sound card line up with totally lame 100 ohm output impedance:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/asus-strix-raid-pro-low.php#rw3
Besides obviously limiting output current into short circuit that also takes dump on damping factor...
As in ideal damping factor being output impedance being at most ~1/8th of headphone impedance. (not the other way around)
Also if headphone's impedance varies with frequency output impedance causes frequency response change.
So that output impedance would be more fit for 250+ ohm Beyerdynamics and Sennheiser high end headphones.

Usual resistor based inline volume controls and also that volume control knob in GSP 500 behave similarly to increase in output impedance.
Hence those shouldn't be used for bigger decrease of volume.
While there's no sharp on/off limit after some point it becomes very noticeable.
Once tested it with Sennheiser HD595 and after initial bass bloat after some point whole sound quality jumped from cliff becoming completely "muddy" and bass disappearing.

Actually that very low impedance isn't automatically good thing.
Strix Soar and Strix Raid Pro (which should be identical except for latter's volume controller module) appears to be continuation to one Xonar sound card line up with totally lame 100 ohm output impedance:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/asus-strix-raid-pro-low.php#rw3
Besides obviously limiting output current into short circuit that also takes dump on damping factor...
As in ideal damping factor being output impedance being at most ~1/8th of headphone impedance. (not the other way around)
Also if headphone's impedance varies with frequency output impedance causes frequency response change.
So that output impedance would be more fit for 250+ ohm Beyerdynamics and Sennheiser high end headphones.

Usual resistor based inline volume controls and also that volume control knob in GSP 500 behave similarly to increase in output impedance.
Hence those shouldn't be used for bigger decrease of volume.
While there's no sharp on/off limit after some point it becomes very noticeable.
Once tested it with Sennheiser HD595 and after initial bass bloat after some point whole sound quality jumped from cliff becoming completely "muddy" and bass disappearing.
I returned my GSP 500s. I wasnt so impressed. Got me some DT990 Premiums and its a chalk and cheese difference. Plus so much fun

Processor i7 4770K
Motherboard Asus Z87-Expert
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S, &case fans all controlled by Aquaero 6
Memory 2x8GB TeamGroup Xtreem LV 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Storage Samsung 840 Pro + 2x 5GB WD Red@RAID1
Display(s) Dell U3014
Case Lian Li PC-A71B
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR, Objective2 (2x), AKG K702&712, Beyerdynamic DT990
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 (+Eaton 5P 1550 as "backup power")
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G810
I returned my GSP 500s. I wasnt so impressed. Got me some DT990 Premiums and its a chalk and cheese difference. Plus so much fun
DT990 is very well balanced between very good "fun factor" and good details/binaural sound stage.
Sound stage is actually comparable to best for gaming HD59x Sennheisers, but bass punches nicely instead of being "shy".

Though for competitive gaming bass neutral AKG K701/K702 are "god mode" for binaural sound with step bigger sound stage and same level distance separation.

DT990 is very well balanced between very good "fun factor" and good details/binaural sound stage.
Sound stage is actually comparable to best for gaming HD59x Sennheisers, but bass punches nicely instead of being "shy".

Though for competitive gaming bass neutral AKG K701/K702 are "god mode" for binaural sound with step bigger sound stage and same level distance separation.
I definitely agree with you. My buddy jas the K7xx and while not fun in the bass department..the clarity of footsteps in Pubg(the updated sound pack they used is ridiculous though).
About the Strix Soar. Where can Infind out more on what it means? Or maybe explain it to me in lay mans terms? As I sold it and have a Creative AE5 (that sounds way better I must say) but need to look into getting a Mayflower Arc(I need the speaker input as well).

Also any thoughts on bass on the Fostex T50RP MK3. I was looking at getting a set of those(maybe even the V1 modded from Mayweather) but also had a pretty good deal on some HD600s(open box for like 250$) and didnt know which to add to my collection