• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

setting up server help

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
i have an older rig setting around..p4 with 512mb of ram..but has a 300gb hard drive in it..so i want to set it up as a server,to keep my music,pictures,and other files on....so can anyone tell me how i would go about doing this..should i use windows xp or windows server 2003? i have a netgear router mr814v3..if that helps..

First of all, the system is overkill as just a fileserver, so don't worry about that.

You can use basically any Windows or Linux version, I'd go for Windows since the system can easy handle its tasks and therefor easy management is nice to have.

The most user friendly way to access your files is by mounting a Windows share. Right click the desired drive or folder and select share, you can give the share a name here and select access rights per user or group.

You can access the share by entering \\serverip\sharename in your explorer. You can then click map network drive to have a driveletter point to that share, from then on you can access it like a normal harddrive.

Alternatively you could use Linux and Samba or an FTP server under whatever OS you prefer.

You router connects your LAN to the Internet, it has nothing to do with the internal LAN. You could share your files using FTP (I prefer bulletproof FTP server) and then forward ports 21 to the server, that way you could access files via the internet. Windows filesharing is not recommended in this case.