• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should we remove numeric scores for reviews?

Should we remove numeric, remove the scores scores for reviews?

• Yes, remove the scores

Votes: 42 38.5%
  • No, keep the scores

Votes: 67 61.5%

• Total voters

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I keep seeing criticism for that, so I wanted to poll the community

Please vote for the poll in this thread

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Please make sure you vote at the start of the thread

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I voted yes. The reason I'm voting this way, which is actually against my knee-jerk response when I read the title of the thread is that I think looking at the Pro's and Con's makes more sense than a score for viewers, members, lurkers, etc. to obtain at least a little more educated opinion on said review rather than a number-out-of-10 score that may or may not properly reflect the Pro's versus Con's in that user's perspective.

Frankly I like how ARSTechnica does their "Good, Bad and Ugly" ratings at the end of their reviews. Recent review of MAC OS 10.14 Mojave as an example: https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/09/macos-10-14-mojave-the-ars-technica-review/

I don't mind the scoring system on TPU reviews, but when I see the number I do find myself spending less time reading the summaries, and even pros and cons than I would if the score didn't exist because I feel if something rates a 9/10 or higher, it shouldn't really have much for cons. My path of ignorance may not reflect others here, but I have a feeling there's quite a few folks that click to the last page, see the score, maybe breeze over the summary and then move on. Removing the score would emphasize relying on what you say in the review rather than the score and I feel that would be more beneficial to TPU's reviews.

Just my two cents tho. :toast:

Obviously not. Why would anyone want that? Someone got offended by his GPU's score or what? :)

IMO you should actually expand it. The final score could be an average of some aspects (e.g. for motherboards: OC-usefulness, features, I/O and so on). It seems most PC reviewers adapted this idea already, just like the rest of the world.
I agree that a lonely number does seem a bit arbitrary and that sometimes it seems very connected with reviewer's private preferences... but isn't this exactly what reviews are about? :)

I think people too often mistake reviews with standardized controlled tests, aka benchmarks.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
And there was me thinking it was the Reviewer giving the Score ( and By inference either Validating My TRUST in the Reviewer or not)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It has been mentioned in many review comments that because scores are often 9.0+, and don't ever seem to go below 7.5, that the scale is meaningless.

Does the score serve a purpose and is it useful? You bet.

Its also very interesting to read other reviewers comments on other sites about the scores here on TPU.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
And there was me thinking it was the Reviewer giving the Score ( and By inference either Validating My TRUST in the Reviewer or not)

It is indeed the specific reviewer for the specific review who gives the score, not sure what you thought was different.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I voted yes. The reason I'm voting this way, which is actually against my knee-jerk response when I read the title of the thread is that I think looking at the Pro's and Con's makes more sense than a score for viewers, members, lurkers, etc. to obtain at least a little more educated opinion on said review rather than a number-out-of-10 score that may or may not properly reflect the Pro's versus Con's in that user's perspective.

Frankly I like how ARSTechnica does their "Good, Bad and Ugly" ratings at the end of their reviews. Recent review of MAC OS 10.14 Mojave as an example: https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/09/macos-10-14-mojave-the-ars-technica-review/

I don't mind the scoring system on TPU reviews, but when I see the number I do find myself spending less time reading the summaries, and even pros and cons than I would if the score didn't exist because I feel if something rates a 9/10 or higher, it shouldn't really have much for cons. My path of ignorance may not reflect others here, but I have a feeling there's quite a few folks that click to the last page, see the score, maybe breeze over the summary and then move on. Removing the score would emphasize relying on what you say in the review rather than the score and I feel that would be more beneficial to TPU's reviews.

Just my two cents tho. :toast:
You convinced me, i kind of skip read them ,skipping games i don't play and packaging shots mostly but I agree a score is too relative to the moment ,and reviewer to , even a driver update can change bad to acceptable or good making an 8 still an 8 atm.
In my honest opinion if you have a score ,that score has a finite shelf life ,then it's real value diminishes as competition forms or improves, making it worthless , like gtx1080ti cards 9-10 whatever, they don't seam worthy of that score today, and I mean because of Rtx2080ti.
So yeah get rid for me, ill read more.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I feel the review score is inflated. Even lackluster GPU’s for instance rarely go below 8 -something. The vast majority are over 9. I actually ignore the score now, because it is meaningless.

Why not a “Not recommended”, “Approved” or “Good” seal at the end? Save something like “W1zzard’s Seal of Approval” for exemplary products? It would necessarily have to be rarely given to mean something.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I say write for you, and ignore the trolls. You cannot please everyone;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I say write for you, and ignore the trolls. You cannot please everyone;)
You are right that you cannot please everyone, but you can do things to cater towards your audience.

Helping them helps you.

If you're not writing for your audience, then why even post reviews publicly?

Why should they (the readers) care to read what you write?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Personally, I don't think the score at the end has ever changed someone's opinion of the product being reviewed, or at least it shouldn't.

The score, to me, is just there for lazy people that don't even want to read the review. But they should at least be reading the conclusion or failing that just the pros VS cons.

Me personally, I never even look at the score. I go to the pages that are important to me and make my own judgment. That's why I voted yes to removing the score. It is a largely meaningless number if you actually read the reviews.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
No, but it should be redesigned. Now it's arbitrary and no product ever gets less than what, 8.7 or so?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I think the numeric scoring is a helpful system, which, (at the least), helps people who do their product research in the way that I do.

I don't trust any one opinion on a given subject/product, so what I'll do is take five or ten reviews , see what the author rated the item, & add it to the collective score, with the scores from others sources, i get (in my opinion), a good idea of where the item stands in its product category.

obviously any scoring system, or review is subjective. It's up to the reader to do the legwork, and find out if the item is right for them. Ultimately, the scoring system is a positive aspect, not a negative one.

PS
keep in mind, there are people who simply view tech site reviews for a quick opinion on a product, and removing something that sums up three or four pages of a review could only be a detriment in my opinion. If people can't get what they want to here, they might go to another site ,where they can get it. It's very easy to ignore the number if you prefer to read the review, but if you don't have the time to read the review not having the number is an issue.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
You are right that you cannot please everyone, but you can do things to cater towards your audience.

Helping them helps you.

If you're not writing for your audience, then why even post reviews publicly?

Why should they (the readers) care to read what you write?

I don't disagree, but my point still stands. If you are writing just to please everyone else, it takes away from the fun of doing what you do too.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I prefer something simpler like A,B,C,D, and F grades. What is the difference between a product that receives a 92 grade or a 95 grade? Even Gold, Silver and bronze awards like hardware secrets used to do.

even a driver update can change bad to acceptable or good making an 8 still an 8 atm.
And will this driver update automatically erase a con "badly optimized"?
it's real value diminishes as competition forms or improves, making it worthless , like gtx1080ti cards 9-10 whatever, they don't seam worthy of that score today, and I mean because of Rtx2080ti.
Does the same 2080Ti mean W1zzard should correct the "High price" con here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Lightning_Z/35.html
or maybe "New NVIDIA technologies" from here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti/35.html
?

Review ratings only make sense in a particular time window - just like sport records and scientific achievements.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
And will this driver update automatically erase a con "badly optimized"?

Does the same 2080Ti mean W1zzard should correct the "High price" con here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Lightning_Z/35.html
or maybe "New NVIDIA technologies" from here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti/35.html
?

Review ratings only make sense in a particular time window - just like sport records and scientific achievements.
No the con stands to be read and evaluated in the moment obviously, and wouldn't require change or update, taken as ,"in the moment".

And yes that's fine too in the moment it was expensive, it's still not cheap either.
A review is dated!.
The number however date's and flick readers could be misslead simple.
And scientific achievement , of any worth is imortal in it's truth, and has no window besides someone actually knowing or discovering it.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
i voted NO but i think things need . . changed.

personally i like review scoring broke down into categories such as, value, performance, quality of components/build and maybe anesthetics (though subjective it will show people how the reviewer scores for RGB) then scores avg.

for an example, if i am looking for a PSU, i take a look at JG's site i can tell if a PSU would be better for a budget build (high value ok in evverything else) or a boutique build i want to last for years (lower value but high quality comp/build)

btw, i like BOTH JG and TPU for PSU reviews. sorry if i lacked etiquette mentioning JG.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Remove it. It has no meaning anyways. For one flaws maybe plus like lack of RGB for example.

One has to read it anyways to have the whole idea.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I voted "yes" but I would be fine with making a firm scoring system as well. As it stands everyone gives out too many points making everything look swell and great, even on some subpar products.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
How about a 0 to 5 W1zzy scale?

Here's 3-1/2 as an example:

Would eliminate the extended debates/arguments over 1-2 point differences between reviews

cadaveca

My name is Dave
it takes away from the fun of doing what you do too.
Maybe for you it does, but myself, I really enjoy all the conversations and feedback given, both positive and negative. I love the interaction, and if I was just doing what I wanted, there wouldn't even be a single benchmark. I see the job of a "reviewer" to provide honest and accurate information at all times, and when you're honest, people thank you for it. I personally view that comparing a $1000 high-end product with a $100 entry-level product, and then basing a score on that compare, is insane. but a simple score, as many have already said, doesn't tell you the full picture, so there might be limited value in just a general scoring system. You need a way to differentiate things.

Yet if I removed my own vote right now, the majority vote would be to get rid of the scores. I voted for no removal.