• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Simple GUI for sending commands over Telnet

Ok don't look at me weird, but this is something I need to come up with a solution for quickly. Not sure whether it belongs in home theater or Networking either since it's both.. I am the go-to lights and sound guy for the local community theater, and I have just finished installing a brand new sound system for them. TBH the route the board president went with equipment is not how I would have done it, but I was not consulted on the equipment purchase, I was just asked to install it. The amp is an Audio Authority SonaFlex 16x16 matrix switcher. It does fit the bill for the input and outut/zoning needs of the building. However I am running into a problem with control. I have discovered that it is not designed for the kind of hands-on switching that we require for production use. The configuration utility is useless for hands-on control. The unit has two dry contact inputs for switching "overrides" (preconfigured input/output patches) which I have gotten to work, but that is not enough I need at least two more). The good news is that it offers complete control by issuing simple commands to a built in telnet server. This is designed to integrate with home automation systems such as Control4. I have not had luck doing so via the sound cue software we use (MultiPlay - which was abandoned by the developer years ago, and the Telnet Cue functionality is apparently incomplete). I can type commands via PuTTY, but that is tedious during production. Is there anything that anyone knows of that works like a "soundboard" app to where I could set it to connect to the unit and configure buttons that will issue these commands? For example if I want to activate preprogrammed Scene 1, I would send [U1SP1LOAD]<ENTER> and it would respond with (U1SP1LOAD) {notice brackets on the command, parentheses on the response}. Literally every function, including I/O patches, volumes/mutes, advanced DSP, scene snapshot/recall, etc can be controlled via these commands. Any ideas? Acknowledging/parsing the response isn't crucial as long as I can send the commands at the click of a mouse or Android tablet button.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Why not make your own program using Visual Studio and WinForms? Establishing a connection is easy via System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient and UI design is WYSIWYG so that's easy too.

I don't have time to learn how to build a program myself. Production starts in 2 days. Dress rehearsal is tomorrow. I had not planned on this, I should have been done already.

Last edited: