• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SLI and CrossFire Support "Not Practical" - Batman Arkham Knight Developer

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
What I find funny, since you mentioned it, is the games are created on PC! I'm not a coder, but you would think, with the original code being on PC, that a "port" from console is not necessary.

The other thing is, remember when this new gen of consoles was released? The word was that ports would be better, and easier for developers to do, because the new consoles are pc's? Yeah, that's not happening.

Yes they are built on PC's but the coding is for the console first not PC, I get so sick and tired of console like menus and controls in games that shouldn't be that way when played on PC it has always been a pet peeve of mine since consoles came out and games went down the shitter for the PC

System Name Old but gold
Processor 3770k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Gene V
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16Gb 1600 DDR3@2400 Cl11
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD (os) , SanDisk 480Gb (Games), WD Caviar Black 4 TB (Games and storage)
Display(s) 32" Samsung HDTV 1080P
Case Some old Dell
Audio Device(s) Onboard HDMI
Power Supply EVGA G2 550w
Software Windows 10 Pro 1903
It's just crazy that these massive organizations who spend millions on creating fantastic graphical pieces of entertainment ignore the simple things like a PC intuitive UI, FOV options, resolution scaling and mouse/controller acceleration issues. I'd be embarrased to put out something like that on the PC, it's been a bug bear within PC gaming for so long now that surely they have got the memo about it....surely?

Always makes me laugh when a low budget indie title comes out and has all of those options above and more, makes it so much more enjoyable to sit back and feel like you are playing a game that was indeed intended and made for your native platform.

Processor Intel i7 4960x Ivy-Bridge E @ 4.6 Ghz @ 1.42V
Motherboard x79 AsRock Extreme 11.0
Cooling EK Supremacy Copper Waterblock
Memory 65.5 GBs Corsair Platinum Kit @ 666.7Mhz
Video Card(s) PCIe 3.0 x16 -- Asus GTX Titan Maxwell
Storage Samsung 840 500GBs + OCZ Vertex 4 500GBs 2x 1TB Samsung 850
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Zbrush, 3Dmax, Maya, Softimage, Vue, Sony Vegas Pro, Acid, Soundforge, Adobe Aftereffects, Photoshop
It's UE3, how incompetent does WB have to be to not be able to get multi gpu working? They managed it before, and that game engine is not exactly new. What an embarrassment.

The coding probably isn't the issue. The way in which they used/wrote the codes with the UE3 engine is probably not the issue, or the big "x-factor" as to why they can't get CrossfireX or SLI working. It could have come down to a decision, at the lead developer's level to say hey, with SLI/CrossfireX, there isn't going to be gains in FPS greater than 5 or 10%. So why even bother implementing it. There is absolutely no point in having 100% multi-gpu support for any PC game if there's no greater gains in performance. It's just not practical for the field, and there's no point paying AMD or NVidia royalties to use codes for multi-gpu utilization. This doesn't mean you can't use SLI or CrossfireX to run the game. It won't be multi-gpu bug free or optimized for multi-gpu setups. So you run the risk of crashing the game or the driver, or experience the fluidity of the game being choppy, or witness memory corruption on the GPUs' Framebuffer, or objects blinking in the game during the rendering, or the average fps just being completely horrid. AMD and NVidia aren't going to come out with profiles or optimized drivers for this Batman PC Game on the multi-gpu side of the bigger picture.

To me, it's probably a similar issue like the recent release of Call of Duty, but CoD isn't suffering from any major problems as Batman. It's probably just your typical PC Game that has a lot of high level poly-models, purty 4k textures, and all the razzle dazzle particles effect. The GPU can only render so much, and SLI/CrossfireX isn't going to push the performance any better because theirs a lot of other things that aren't being rendered by the GPU. So the CPU has to play catchup. Eye Candies are being rendered by the CPU, and these things can't be rendered by the GPU. If the GPU could render everything, and this putty-cat mean everything, life as a PC enthusiast would be heaven because your FPS would probably stay or exceed the average 60 fps reality-like settings. It's not heaven, so no, it's not going to happen. So performance is crap unless you OC your CPU past 4.0 Ghz. CPU needs more muscle, and a lot of Consumers don't have phat-pockets to go out and purchase a new i7 6950x on the fly, put an EK waterblock with a decent rad on it, OC that bad-boy past 4.4GHz, and enjoy the eye-candy on Ultra Settings. So the average consumer cry that the game is performing horribly bad. Multi-gpu performance isn't helping because I enabled it in the client. There are dual GPUs or two single GPUs in my case, and my FPS isn't hitting high numbers. This probably describes the current situation with a small degree of error, but who is actually calculating standard deviations... 2 Sigmas ftw.

Most likely, it isn't UE's fault. I don't believe it's an error on the coding. If it is, then the twinky-loving, ugg-wearing programmers working under WB or whoever, is making everyone look bad... Must have gotten UE certified at a Chinese sweat-shop?

Wow what a crock. Game released>game re-released>patched>still broken. Glad I never spent money on this one. Whatever happened to releasing a quality game? The cash grabs publishers pull on people is crazy.

This has been pretty par practice for PC Gaming Development for the past 3 to 6 years... Announce a game, get a team to develop it, push that hype by advertising it, say it's blessed by AMD or Intel or NVidia, mention who producing it and what they produced in the past, and release it. On their end, they will watch it fill their pockets while its get full, have their A-team or B-team tech support/programmers to fix it or just let it burn. Remember that developers get their money from the vendors, and they are under contract to sell it at a certain price. The vendors in turn get their money from the consumers and make a little profit off of it. If business projections show that the vendor are going to exceed their supply in a short time, the vendors reorder more, or the problem could be fixed just by digital downloading the products for big bucks and eliminate the limited supply aspect of the scenario.

Arkham Knight is a mess but people are forgetting that there is a lot older games which have bugs that have never been and never will be resolved:
-Mass Effect 2 & 3 both still have problems with HUD, sometimes it freezes and you can't use powers or change them with some other power for shortcut
-Mass Effect 1 gameplay is seriously flawed, when you hit someone or if you are hit with biotic power you start flying through the room or are being dragged through the floor...
-Splinter Cell Blacklist still crashes after 20-30 minutes on a lot of AMD and Nvidia systems

I am sure there is a lot of other bugs in other games and some of them like in Blacklist are game-breaking. But there is no public outcry or refunds being available.

Nobody set the limit of how the games should perform and how many bugs are allowed but it looks like some games like Blacklist which quits on me after 23-26 minutes get away with it.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Nobody set the limit of how the games should perform and how many bugs are allowed but it looks like some games like Blacklist which quits on me after 23-26 minutes get away with it

I think it may be based on how widespread the bugs are. I know for me, Blacklist was a perfect experience. Literally no one crash and utterly smooth throughout.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
There are ways you can write rendering and post-processing code to make it so the next frame requires the last frame to be rendered for things like motion blur which is what destroys CFX/SLI more often than not. It was probably just badly coded and wasn't conducive to overhauling it to make it play nice with CFX and SLI. Needless to say, they should have thought about this before implementation and they didn't, so now they're just shrugging their shoulders and telling consumers to get over it. Not a very good PR tactic...

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Iron Galaxy is supposed to bring Killer Instinct to PC soon.

I wonder how that will turn out. :(

I think it will depend on how much time they have to do the port. I remember reading somewhere that Rocksteady/WB only gave Iron Galaxy 2 weeks to do the port for Batman.

Yeh that's Bethesda for you, if it makes you feel any better, it took me two weeks of non stop tweaking to get Skyrim to behave on my older system. By the time I was done I couldn't be bothered to actually play it as I was sick of seeing the same run I had been tweaking it from :shadedshu:

I'm sure if I just turned down a few settings I could get completely smooth, but maxed out at 1440p just isn't smooth on a single 970. I'm hoping they'll get SLI working in a patch pretty soon.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
I'm sure if I just turned down a few settings I could get completely smooth, but maxed out at 1440p just isn't smooth on a single 970. I'm hoping they'll get SLI working in a patch pretty soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting another patch for Skyrim if I was you Pretty sure Bethesda have said the last one was it

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I wouldn't hold my breath on getting another patch for Skyrim if I was you Pretty sure Bethesda have said the last one was it

We're talking about Fallout 4.:)

System Name The Money Sink
Processor Intel i7-5960X at 4.60Ghz
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike
Cooling Custom watercooling loop, single D5 -> CPU, dual D5 -> GPU's
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) 2 x 1080Ti @ Stock for the moment (40oC LOAD)
Storage 960GB Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe and 2 x 512GB M.2 SSD RAID0
Display(s) Dual Curved LG 34" Display
Power Supply EVGA 1600W G2
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores ALOT
I actually have to retract my statement, after playing this over the weekend and again today on the latest AMD Crimson drivers I can report that there are NO performance issues with quadfire in this game. Hinting at some kind of crossfire performance boost. I'm running everything on max bar the Nvidia specific settings!

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
We're talking about Fallout 4.:)

At least you can get out of the vault. The game is completely broken.

It's a good thing I don't pay for this crap.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
At least you can get out of the vault. The game is completely broken.

It's a good thing I don't pay for this crap.

When I was forcing alternate frame rendering the game would consistently crash right at the vault entrance, when I was leaving. I was stuck in the vault for a good while before I figured out what was causing the crash. I just ran without SLI for a while until SLI was officially supported. Now SLI works great, and the game is so nice.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
When I was forcing alternate frame rendering the game would consistently crash right at the vault entrance, when I was leaving. I was stuck in the vault for a good while before I figured out what was causing the crash. I just ran without SLI for a while until SLI was officially supported. Now SLI works great, and the game is so nice.

The vault doesn't open in this case. It's a common bug.

No clipping or deleting the door is pointless b/c the Fing MORONS tied VATS enabling to the animation sequence.

If you cheat through, then you have to manually enable VATS with a command everytime you 1st load, every time you die and sometimes when reloading.

It's a pile of crap like every other from these jackasses. They should be dissolved.

The modders will fix what they can. That should be Bethesda's slogan.

New Vegas was really a joke. If you traveled in a cerain area of the desert near the beginning of the game it would freeze every time. That common bug was NEVER fixed.

There's not much hope for this game. 1.2 patch is a joke. For fuck's sake, it has the same mouse Y sensitivity screw up that was patched in Skyrim. Not one of these assholes even bothered to play the game. It's obvious. You have to disable mouse accel, fix Y axis and fix various display issues in the THREE ini files!

Their heads should be on pikes, but they're lauded as great devs. Quit buying this shit.

At least blizzard games work after waiting umpteen years for a release.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Yeh that's Bethesda for you, if it makes you feel any better, it took me two weeks of non stop tweaking to get Skyrim to behave on my older system. By the time I was done I couldn't be bothered to actually play it as I was sick of seeing the same run I had been tweaking it from :shadedshu:

AND PEOPLE STILL HAIL THEM AS GODS

System Name Old but gold
Processor 3770k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Gene V
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16Gb 1600 DDR3@2400 Cl11
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD (os) , SanDisk 480Gb (Games), WD Caviar Black 4 TB (Games and storage)
Display(s) 32" Samsung HDTV 1080P
Case Some old Dell
Audio Device(s) Onboard HDMI
Power Supply EVGA G2 550w
Software Windows 10 Pro 1903
AND PEOPLE STILL HAIL THEM AS GODS

The ideas and settings behind their games are fantastic, it's the execution that is sloppy due to the dated/mutated/often slated engine. WoW suffers from the same issues, it could be so much more with a new engine built from the ground up. Both Bethesda and Blizzard have the dosh to do it and they really should.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
My friend has been playing this mess. 1.2 makes it literally unplayable. Tons of new bugs introduced like mouse not aiming in menus correctly, minimizing randomly to desktop, reloads taking all day, crazy display resizing in game, more general fuck ups and crashing...

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I
My friend has been playing this mess. 1.2 makes it literally unplayable. Tons of new bugs introduced like mouse not aiming in menus correctly, minimizing randomly to desktop, reloads taking all day, crazy display resizing in game, more general fuck ups and crashing...
I have almost 50 hours in the game without a single issue. Not a single crash. Sounds like pilot error to me.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
I
I have almost 50 hours in the game without a single issue. Not a single crash. Sounds like pilot error to me.

It very rarely crashed before the patch. This is typical Bethesda. They introduce more problems than they fix.

More than enough problems with this pile all over the internet.