• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Spontaneous Reboots (Asus K8N, Athlon 64, Win2k)

vwood

My computer reboots spontaneously. I had this nifty idea to re-install windows, and it's rebooting spontaneously during installation of windows 2000.

I haven't made any recent hardware changes, but I got a new video card (Radeon X1050) a couple months ago, and installed a beta version of Vista at that time, a month later it wanted me to pay to upgrade, so I rolled back to my old OS: Windows 2000. It seemed to have been running fine, but Internet Explorer didn't install. I said: "fine" cuz I use FireFox anyway. Last week the computer started spontaneuosly rebooting (especially during gaming), and I had this idea in my head that it was the Windows installation, so I decided to go ahead and re-install the OS. The re-install failed, due to a spontaneous reboot, just a little after halfway through "Installing Devices".

Chip: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2200 MHz)
Mobo: Asus K8N
Video: Radeon X1050
Memory: Corsair 3x

I can't get much more detailed info from Windows ... it's rebooting right now (and forever). I got the chip & mobo from the BIOS and the video & memory from eyeballing the equipment. Doesn't look like there's much else in there: that mobo has everything built-in. I did remove all of the memory sticks and re-tried rebooting with each one individually (to test for bad memory).

Any tips?
:nutkick:

nanohead

Geez, that could be anything. You might want to try booting it from CD with a memtest CD, not so much to test memory (it couldn't hurt), but to see if it is a base hardware problem. If it reboots with sometime like memtest, then its clearly a base hardware problem, probably motherboard mood swings after all these years.

Feels like a base hardware problem, but it really could be anything. Could be a CPU overheating problem , could be a bad memory slot,