• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[SSD] Look a picture, speak a statement

ylotx

modern ssds rely on caching algorithms first,then on nand quality.

give you an example from my own pc.
I got 860 evo 500gb at 350pln and sx950u 480gb at 280pln.
860 evo was 0.7pln per gb,sx was 0.58pln per gb - close to 20% cheaper.
both 3d tlc,but of vastly different quality.samsung's 3d tlc v-nand on 860 evo turned out better than 3d mlc on 850 pro in the test I did.860 evo continued to write at 300mb/s till it was full,850 Pro "only" managed 230mb/s after it got close to full.Now compare that to sx950u's micron made 3d tlc that saw speeds of 100mb/s and lower in the last 7gb - samsung's tlc turned out more than 3x faster than microns when both drives ran out of caching space.
Now is that adata drive really that bad - no,it's absolutely amazing for the price since it keeps up with a drive that's more expensive until the last 7gb.Even if you counted it as a 473gb drive it still beats 860 evo in value soundly,by 15%.
Some say 660p is trash - it is if you plan to use it like 970 Pro.It's absolutely amazing value if you buy the 2tb version for a home/gaming rig and manage the free space wisely.For most of us read times will matter more than write speed anyway.The 2tb version will still allow for a 24gb cache buffer after it's over 75% full,which is enough for non-professional use.Hell,even the 1tb will still be able to use 12gb of slc cache.
Thank you, cucker tarlson
In the future, if I encounter this situation, I will describe that
xx SSD managed n mb/s after ssd caching space got close to full. xx:name , n:number

For the manufacturer's caching of intelligent nand quality of ssd technology,

The greater the predetermined capacity, the greater the storage used by the user, manufacturer's caching of intelligent nand quality of ssd technology is more obvious.

thank your comments, folks

Last edited by a moderator: