• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD on Sata 3gbps

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
ASRock really has arguably the best bang for the buck motherboards out a couple of generations running on the Intel side. The X77Extreme 4 was solid for the price, and now in Z97 the Extreme 6 is also quite solid.

I always wonder why people hold grudges like that... 'I had an asrock board fail on me, years ago, so I don't like them'. That logic just makes no sense to me.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I started my SSD life with a SATA3 SSD in a SATA2 board (x58) without issues but did buy a PCI-E Sata3 Controller card some time later and it was without a doubt quicker, although you won't get full Sata3 speeds, it was noticeable but not by a significant margin.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Personally, I would have just gotten the SSD and judged responsiveness from there. Still rockin a socket 775 in the house, and once it was given an SSD it breathed new life into it.

That said, @Aquinus has had a bad experience with ASRock, but you made a good purchase in that motherboard. My experience has been that ASRock has improved quite a bit, and they are usually the first boards I look at in a new build, making comparisons of other brands/models against them. As long as you don't get a lower tier model, you are pretty safe.
Right, my experience is from an old skt478 and skt775 board. The boards worked well in the sense that they did everything they were designed to do, but at the time things like CPU voltage control where missing when even the cheapest of boards would have it. So with that said, all the ASRock boards I had were solid, they just didn't do what I wanted them to do. Since then I've gotten MSI and ASUS boards with nothing but good experiences with both Intel and AMD.

I always wonder why people hold grudges like that... 'I had an asrock board fail on me, years ago, so I don't like them'. That logic just makes no sense to me.
It's not that I don't like ASRock. It's just that I know ASUS and MSI from my own experience has delivered good products, so why deviate from something I know from experience works for me? That's all I'm trying to get at.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Well that makes more sense when its said like you meant it. :)

But across YEARS and multiple chipsets to not consider them... just not me I guess. ;)