• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSDs With Phison E26 Controllers Shut Down at Higher Temperatures

U.2 drives are a bit too heavy for that.
More than heavy, its the heat that undoes adhesive. I remember CFL invertor falling off due to heat. In case of U.2/U.3 drives it would be heat and weight both that will undo sticky tapes.

The first generation of their PCIe 4.0 controllers (E16) had the same issue so..
In both cases, are they using a old architecture intended for different technological processes that they have shrunk and crammed into an atypical node?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
This obsession with read and write spread is stupid, they should focus on random reads, area where they area till pathetic compared to optane.
How can you improve something that's entirely dependent on the NAND?
Phison and the other SSD controller makers can't do anything to improve here.

In both cases, are they using a old architecture intended for different technological processes that they have shrunk and crammed into an atypical node?
Pretty much.

However, it's crucial to note that these extreme overheating problems occur only when the SSDs run without any cooling.

Really ? I mean... Oh my gawd. It's like running my Lambo without any ongoing cooling and expect it not to lock or burn up in smoke when redlining it.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
If things keep going like this, we will soon need LN2/immersion cooling on these or the next-gen of nvme drives :(

Chris_Ramseyer

Phison Rep
How is this even still making new news? Corsair released a firmware update for its drives. The others will release an update that is paired with another update very soon.

Every E26 SSD was advertised to use a heatsink. The "bare drives" are sold to use with motherboard's heatsinks so you are not paying twice for a heatsink.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
How is this even still making new news? Corsair released a firmware update for its drives. The others will release an update that is paired with another update very soon.

Every E26 SSD was advertised to use a heatsink. The "bare drives" are sold to use with motherboard's heatsinks so you are not paying twice for a heatsink.
I think someone posted those arent good enough heatsinks but need a fan.

Pyrolite

Could be nice if E3.L 2T or E3.S 2T reached consumer desktops. They can take over for both SSD's and other PCIe cards that don't need to be really large.

Chris_Ramseyer

Phison Rep
I think someone posted those arent good enough heatsinks but need a fan.

The drives run fine with a heatsink. Users should have some case airflow already. It doesn't take a lot of flow to cool a heatsink on a 10w SSD with an aluminum heatsink on it. I don't see anyone saying, "My 4090 throttles when I play games with a case built like an oven that doesn't have fans." E26 is a high performance product built for enthusiasts and enthusiast systems.

There is also all of this talk about U.2/U.3 being a solution for the consumer market. I wonder how many people actually own any of these drives... They use up to 25w and the cases are expensive (in PC component terms). You are not going to stick a 25w SSD in a modern PC where the drive mounts on the back of the motherboard tray (where there isn't an airflow) and expect it to not throttle. For reference, the the first U.2 Intel drive required 300LFM airflow. I only mention it because I memorized the spec back in the day.

Then there is the signal integrity for PCIe Gen5 over wires. Even on motherboards, to get the Gen5 signal to the lower PCIe slots through traces requires another Phison product that you can see on most AMD X670E motherboards (redrivers/retimers). We will talk a lot more about these at OCP Summit 2023 in October. Sending the signal over a cable uses the most expensive version of these products. As a former reviewer I know how much the PC community loves $100 cables! U.2/U.3 is not a viable solution for many reasons in the consumer market.

Could be nice if E3.L 2T or E3.S 2T reached consumer desktops. They can take over for both SSD's and other PCIe cards that don't need to be really large.
Please see what I said about moving data over cables. This also applies to the other enterprise form factors. If it doesn't plug directly into the motheboard then it has to move over wire and Gen5 over wire is expensive.

Pyrolite

I was thinking of putting them in place of some of the AIC slots, possibly with their supports attached to the motherboard. At least, if it's not part of a larger overhaul of the desktop.

With a redesigned case with fitting openings on the side, they could connect directly to the motherboard, and be arranged side by side to be closer to the CPU/chipset. If used with existing cases there might be connectors perpendicular to the motherboard so that they face backwards as normal, but that seems more awkward and might require a few more centimeters of traces.

Chris_Ramseyer

Phison Rep
I was thinking of putting them in place of some of the AIC slots, possibly with their supports attached to the motherboard. At least, if it's not part of a larger overhaul of the desktop.

With a redesigned case with fitting openings on the side, they could connect directly to the motherboard, and be arranged side by side to be closer to the CPU/chipset. If used with existing cases there might be connectors perpendicular to the motherboard so that they face backwards as normal, but that seems more awkward and might require a few more centimeters of traces.

I hate to be that guy, but Gen5 AIC adapters are rare and also expensive. The Gen3/4 adapters even have issues with some Gen4 SSDs. It will be worse with Gen5.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
MOAR COWBELL!!!!!!!!! errr I mean MORE HEATSINK!!!

Chris_Ramseyer

Phison Rep
Hah, I've been telling that from the start. Even provided data that they do not obey slot power limits. We had a Phison REP here.

What we see here? A botched product. At least they could market it properly for special use cases not the epeen Netburst sequel popcorn numbers.
It does not go over the PIC-SIG m.2 power limits. The limit is 11.55w with a bit more for bursts.

D

Deleted member 185088

How can you improve something that's entirely dependent on the NAND?
Phison and the other SSD controller makers can't do anything to improve here.
I was referring to the stagnation in the SSD industry as a whole.

Well, that's an attempt to shift the blame. Why didn't they choose the limit to be 6 watts, but almost 12?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
It does not go over the PIC-SIG m.2 power limits. The limit is 11.55w with a bit more for bursts.

I will remind you again. You are wrong using those numbers. You can only operate with mechanical specs given by the connector itself. The new ECN is only in the pipes.

Current Rating: *0.5A/Power contact (continuous), * The temperature
rise above ambient shall not exceed 30˚C, * The ambient condition is
still air at 25˚C, * EIA-364-70 Method 2

As the card is scorching hot it is violating the spec.

Bloody nobody would bat an eye if this controller would have existed only for AIC cards, but you had to go pop. Now look at the backlash.

Pyrolite

Well, that's an attempt to shift the blame. Why didn't they choose the limit to be 6 watts, but almost 12?
Although it seems like we're asking a lot of this form factor(kinda like with the bigger GPU's), there are proper and improper ways to use this allowance and all devices have their requirements.

I hate to be that guy, but Gen5 AIC adapters are rare and also expensive. The Gen3/4 adapters even have issues with some Gen4 SSDs. It will be worse with Gen5.

Hmm. Best have the connectors integrated right on the motherboard, then. I've heard Gen6 managed to not increase signalling difficulties over 5, at least...

Last edited:
I have a Crucial T700 and an ADATA Legend 970. There were no problems with shutting down on both of them when I was running extended tests. Crucial was throttling from time to time with the stock heatsink, and ADATA was not even throttling, but the fan is noisy (can't adjust speed, it runs at 10k+ RPM all the time, temps around 67°C in tests).
If you run these SSDs in SFF or next to a hot graphics card, then it may throttle all the time or maybe shut down, but I haven't seen my SSDs shutting down, even though sensors on Crucial were showing up to ~85°C spikes. Most SSDs will shut down when they reach the critical temperature ( usually 90°C+). If they shut down, then throttling doesn't work, or it triggers too late ... or simply ambient temp is way too high, no airflow, etc.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
The drives run fine with a heatsink. Users should have some case airflow already. It doesn't take a lot of flow to cool a heatsink on a 10w SSD with an aluminum heatsink on it. I don't see anyone saying, "My 4090 throttles when I play games with a case built like an oven that doesn't have fans." E26 is a high performance product built for enthusiasts and enthusiast systems.

There is also all of this talk about U.2/U.3 being a solution for the consumer market. I wonder how many people actually own any of these drives... They use up to 25w and the cases are expensive (in PC component terms). You are not going to stick a 25w SSD in a modern PC where the drive mounts on the back of the motherboard tray (where there isn't an airflow) and expect it to not throttle. For reference, the the first U.2 Intel drive required 300LFM airflow. I only mention it because I memorized the spec back in the day.

Then there is the signal integrity for PCIe Gen5 over wires. Even on motherboards, to get the Gen5 signal to the lower PCIe slots through traces requires another Phison product that you can see on most AMD X670E motherboards (redrivers/retimers). We will talk a lot more about these at OCP Summit 2023 in October. Sending the signal over a cable uses the most expensive version of these products. As a former reviewer I know how much the PC community loves $100 cables! U.2/U.3 is not a viable solution for many reasons in the consumer market.

Please see what I said about moving data over cables. This also applies to the other enterprise form factors. If it doesn't plug directly into the motheboard then it has to move over wire and Gen5 over wire is expensive.
Enterprise drives have always used more power, not aware of any consumer drives using U.2..

In terms of the rest of what you said yes cases would need to be more like older style cases where drive bays was common, they changed before they can change again. The stick on the back of the board idea was poor to begin with, and perhaps you can release data of these drives running full load, no throttle, on a low/medium end board thin slab heatsink sandwiched between a hot cpu/gpu with no more than two fans in the case, then I will take your word for it.

The 4090 comment seems a bit desperate, not a good idea to go there, those GPUs come with huge beefy cooling. They dont tell end users to provide their own cooling.

Appreciate the comments though from the industry wanting to defend what they have done here, and maybe in the future the costs for the gen 5 cables can be brought down. I remain of an opinion that gen 5 drives just arent worth it at all in the consumer market, so my final part of my reply to you, if you concerned about the consumer market paying extra for things it doesnt need then why have you even released this product?

Last edited:
I would like to thank all of you who working in the PCIe gen5 SSD world wide beta test.
So far I see no point to invest into gen5, so the next one will still be "only" gen4 with the low low speed of 7400 MB/s

That tiny fan cannot be efficient and silent
Here is my solution

3 slot is overkill and you know it, even 4 SSDs will not produce more heat than 40~45W of heat.
Here a valid solution
View attachment 313469 View attachment 313470
1kg pure copper and a 5cm double ball bearing fan is a great solution to keep cool your m.2 drives
I know it's "only" gen4, but there is a gen5 version:
View attachment 313474
That tiny fan is efficient and quiet. I purchased several other brands of similar cooling heatsinks with a built-in fan and they were too loud. So I have physically tested quite a few of these in order to find the best solution. Right now the ambient temperature in my room is about 21C. My MP700 temp at idle is about 49C. Under full load conditions, the temps don't exceed 62C.

I also experimented with using just a heatsink (with thermal tape) without a fan. The temps shot up close to 90C. I tried several different heatsinks. I absolutely cannot recommend a stand-alone heatsink without a fan for the Corsair MP700.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Yes it is hot, but Phison should have mandated a good cooling solution. I also tried a standard M.2 SSD heatsink without a fan which didn't work well. You really need that M.2 SSD cooling fan.
Thermal throttling has been a staple of SSDs for years now. The fact that Phison's controller gets so hot so fast, that the initial firmware was unable to throttle in time and the hardware had to shut down to prevent itself from catching fire, points to a distinct lack of basic testing. Like I said - rushed product.

And Phison doesn't mandate anything; they just sell the controller and a reference SSD design. They likely strongly recommend the use of a dedicated cooling solution, but ultimately it's up to the company selling the physical drives to decide how to market their product, and most simply aren't going to want to force their users to pay more for a bulky and noisy cooling solution. Phison should have anticipated this and designed their controller and firmware to not require a HSF, but they were so preoccupied with being "first to market" that they ended up delivering an entirely substandard product - one that can't be fixed with any number of firmware revisions, but will require an actual hardware redesign. Likely by the time that redesign is done, other competitors will have delivered PCIe 5.0 controllers that aren't prototypes being sold as production-ready.