• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Standard Edition GameBall Gaming Trackball Finally Arrives

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I mean for games where you are playing a ball like in Katamari Damacy or that bowling game called Rock of Ages, this would be fun actually, cause you get to pretend like you are the ball as you play the game.

so I disagree with you 100%, its just for very niche games like that only.

Idk why you hold on so literally to the idea of a ball shape.
Its a ball because you can roll it and because you can roll it in any direction forever, it becomes an infinite surface, similair to a normal mouse and an infinitely large desk, except you dont have to walk to access all the surface.
You roll the ball to the left and your character turns to the left, you roll it to the right and it turns to the right, completely the same as with a traditional mouse so you can use this perfectly fine with navigating a desktop, playing shooters, RTS, you name it and as a plus you put less strain on your arms.

Heck if we follow your way of thinking here a traditional (although a trackball is as old as PC's are really) mouse would only be good for...idk air hockey?

Except now you have less fingers to work with :p
Imagine trying a drag shot In FPS games using this mouse

Not really, with my mouse I use my thumb to move the ball so I have my index, middle and ring finger on the rest plus 2 extra buttons I can easily reach with my index finger.
With this trackball its the same, you grip the mouse on both sides so you have access to multiple buttons with your thump and your ring and pinky atleast assuming you use both your index and middle finger to roll the ball.
So really you have plenty of buttons at your disposal doing a drag shot.

I´ve ordered one of the first Limited Edition Gameballs when they got available. It is a very expensive trackball but in such limited quantities and such a special niche of users, its OK I think.
I mainly use it for more casual games like RPG´s etc. because for me its much more comfortable then a mouse. For shooter games i still use a regular Razer mouse.
Bit of an odd request but if you have a reddit account, could you ask here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Trackballs/comments/pwlld8
if they fixed the "ball hopping out" issue that some people have and is solved with a piece of teflon tape?
Im interested in buying the mouse myself as well but I would like that small problem to be fixed by the manufactuere.

Last edited:
System Name Mixed Bag of OC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Maxsun MS-iCraft B550M WIFI
Cooling CPU+GPU on Water with 3 X 420 Rad´s
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper RGB @ 3800 Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) XFX Merc 310 RX 7900 XTX
Storage 2TB Kingston Fury + 2TB Samsung PCIe 4 NVME
Display(s) Philips 48OLED806
Case Selfmade Huuuuuge *Case* :)
Audio Device(s) ifi Zen DAC + Monoprice M1060C & Burmester Replica AMP + Selfmade Huuuuuge Speakers :)
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750
Mouse Kensington Slimblade (main device) + Razer Basilisk V3 (for FPS)
Keyboard Sharkoon PureWriter RGB, Kailh Blue switches
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores do not matter, my PC is fast :)
I've used trackpads (laptop) and trackballs (both thumb and middle finger types) for FPS gaming before, and didn't have issues in mid-tier competitive before I mostly quit those types of ranked PvP games some years back. Obviously, they will be a detriment for serious, high-tier competitive FPS games. The main issues are mainly the eventual finger exhaustion one would get from extended use of those compared to using a proper regular mouse, the inconvenience when needing to use both L/R click buttons for certain bindings, and cleaning out the sensors when the inevitable build-up of dust and dead skin cells occurs.

But as far as trackballs specifically, they were great for quickly turning around with a quick spin, although precision aiming was a matter of training and sensitivity adjustment.

That said, I wonder how this compares to a Logitech Ergo MX and an Elecom HUGE. And given the price, against a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse (Compact), which was something I saw a buddy of mine using both for CAD and for gaming.
MX Ergo is totally different because you got to use your thumb and that does not really work with any game (only my opinion). The HUGE is VERY! good trackball but with a big flaw, the bearings are from the ruby type and the friction is too high so you get choppy and stiff movement out of it.

Idk why you hold on so literally to the idea of a ball shape.
Its a ball because you can roll it and because you can roll it in any direction forever, it becomes an infinite surface, similair to a normal mouse and an infinitely large desk, except you dont have to walk to access all the surface.
You roll the ball to the left and your character turns to the left, you roll it to the right and it turns to the right, completely the same as with a traditional mouse so you can use this perfectly fine with navigating a desktop, playing shooters, RTS, you name it and as a plus you put less strain on your arms.

Not really, with my mouse I use my thumb to move the ball so I have my index, middle and ring finger on the rest plus 2 extra buttons I can easily reach with my index finger.
With this trackball its the same, you grip the mouse on both sides so you have access to multiple buttons with your thump and your ring and pinky atleast assuming you use both your index and middle finger to roll the ball.
So really you have plenty of buttons at your disposal doing a drag shot.

Bit of an odd request but if you have a reddit account, could you ask here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Trackballs/comments/pwlld8
if they fixed the "ball hopping out" issue that some people have and is solved with a piece of teflon tape?
Im interested in buying the mouse myself as well but I would like that small probably to be fixed by the manufactuere.
I don´t think it will be fixed for this model but the ball is not falling out, it is rocking a little in the case if you give it a flick to the front but well its not a huge problem, with maybe a fix possible.

for the interested the most detailed review: https://forum.trackballs.eu/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=122

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Yeah, I've tried a couple of the other Logitech ones, they're just not very good imho. I was having issues at one point and decided to try a trackball instead, but it only made it worse...
The thing that helped me the most to reduce any problems was getting a new, taller chair so my arm is more level with the table, rather than at an angle upwards.
I have used a mouse at work and a trackball at home since ever. The mouse goes in the right hand and the trackball sits under the left hand, even though I'm right handed. I might be able to use both at the same time effectively but haven't yet seen any software that makes use of two pointers (CAD?), however, I'm embarassingly clumsy if I take either mouse or TB in the wrong hand.

Anyway, I believe this has helped me avoid RSI so far, as the repetitive strain is distributed between the two hands. The trackball is the ambidextrous Logitech Trackman Marble. I'm no gamer though.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
I don't know about games, since trackballs seem to be better suited to precision, but when I was doing a lot of AutoCAD and EAGLE work a trackball was a pleasure to use, even now I often use Kensington Orbit for everyday usage.
I don't like the shape, seems too narrow and tall, but that's certainly up to individual preference.

Trackballs a remixed bag. I would like to see something a bit like this design gamepad, analog stick, trackball inspired design concept I did in paint though. Perhaps some minor altercations to it. The bottom hexagon is meant to be a analog stick, but you could shift it a but and add a second analog stick and keep the rest of the concept design about the same. The squares are meant to represent low profile optical keys. The placement is meant for ergonomics in mind. The idea is you could slide your index finger from either hand to the trackball or thumbs to the analog stick while keeping the rest of the fingers on the keys. I think such a design would really work well in general with 8 keys on each side plus two analog sticks and a trackball dead center as well.

Thumb Analog Index Trackball Ambidexterous Fight Stick .png

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
I have owned the Microsoft Optical Trackball for nearly 20 years for everyday PC use (this one however uses your thumb to control the ball, I can not for the life of me get used to the finger control style like this one in the article). Actually, I have been playing WoW with it exclusively since day one. All other games though (especially anything that requires quick inputs) I do use a proper gaming mouse. Originally I bought it out of necessity as my desk area at the time of owning my 1st computer was SO small that once the keyboard was on it I literally did not even have room for a mouse pad, and therefore no room to physically move a mouse without setting the sensitivity to ludicrous mode. Also, after playing guitar for about 15 years I had started to develop some wrist issues, and the track ball was very helpful in that regard.

***definitely feeling REALLY old when my initial reaction to this new 'gaming track ball' instantly brought back those arcade Missile Command or Centipede vibes, only to realize that there was no other references to them in the comments :(

I mean for games where you are playing a ball like in Katamari Damacy or that bowling game called Rock of Ages, this would be fun actually, cause you get to pretend like you are the ball as you play the game.

so I disagree with you 100%, its just for very niche games like that only.
I played FPS games such as Tactical Ops (Unreal Tournament mod) for years with a trackball.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Little spendy, but I can see the market. If it was $50 I'd consider getting one to throw in with a laptop or Steamdeck.
I don't regularly use trackballs, but the few times I have, I've always been pleasantly surprised. Still kinda want one for when my wrist acts up. They're also great for tight desk spaces or mobile computing. Where a trackpad or trackpoint isn't sufficient, but there's no appropriate space or surface for a mouse.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
This reminds me of way back in the day, when arcades were still a thing (and awesome, at that!), the OG version of "Arkanoid" (which was later ported to the NES) actually used a trackball rather than traditional buttons and control stick. I think "Marble Madness" (also ported to the NES) used a trackball as well, which made perfect sense given that the player was an actual marble that had to navigate through various courses, with the end goal being reaching the finish line at the end.

Trackball gaming really brings me back to being a kid, first thing you do is turn on mouse acceleration. Trackballs work really well in slower FPS with limited verticality, ones where you concentrate on aim placement when rounding corners. If all you have to do is track something side to side a trackball work well, hitting diagonals can be hard with trackballs. RTS might be difficult depending on the size of your ball, dpi and the resolution of your screen and the speed of the RTS.

Some games are just easier than others hell CS1.4 could be played easily with a keyboard only that game had so many maps with next to no verticality.

Would it be better than a try hard that checks their DPI and resolution prevents pixel skipping and with a 360 of like 30cm+, nope but most people don't bother with all that.

Either way 150 is a bit much. I still use wireless trackball at work because it's easy to use them when you have no desk but need to support.

D3vo1d

I actually own one of the limited edition Gameballs, and it is way better that any Elcom or Logitech trackball for gaming, even though I went from thumb to finger control. The Gameball fits your hand perfectly enough that your fingers fall naturally on the left and right mouse buttons. It does not feel unnatural to hold, and the control is more precise than any other trackball I've used.

Waifu Hunter 2.0

This design is very similar to the Logitech Trackball Trackman. That was a great trackball. I used it for gaming and otherwise. Had Logitech upgraded the sensor, it would have been a best seller forever. It's big shortcoming was, it was never intended for gaming. In spite of this it performed well In FPS games. I'm not a fan of the pricing for this, however. I can use the Elecom HUGE for much cheaper. Some have had issue with the bearings, but at least you can replace them, if and when they do fail.

If you are considering using a trackball, be prepared to rewire the way you think when using a mouse.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
I had a gamer friend who played minecraft on my ancient server 2012ish. He had a trackball and was actually rather good with it.

That is, until he took it to the bathroom with him for some reason I can only guess at, and dropped it in the toilet, and then proceeded to FRIGGIN TELL EVERYONE EXACTLY WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

I gavw him the custom title of "Trackpad Toilet Warrior" after that. Still good player.

I'm sorry I can't think of trackballs without thinking of that story.