• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Starfield discussion thread

System Name Favourite toy(s)
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X lapped & Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock X670E Steel Legend / Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite
Cooling Deep Cool AK620 / Stock cooler
Memory G.Skill F5-5600J3036D16GX2-FX5 / Corsair Vengeance CMH32GX5M2B5600C36
Video Card(s) RX 6800 XT factory overclocked / iGPU
Storage 1 + 2TB T-Force Cardea A440 pro / 2 x Kingston KC3000 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G5 Odyssey / Philips 278E9Q
Case MSI MPG Sekira 100R / Silverstone Redline mATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE 7.1 + AT -AD500X / Onboard + Creative 2.1 soundbar
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x V2 / Corsair RM750x V2
Mouse MSI Clutch GM20 Elite / CM Reaper
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon / MS Internet keyboard
Good friend of mine asked me to care for his pets over the holidays while he was travelling, and invited me to use his PC if I wished. I started a fresh game of Starfield, and I guess I put about 25 hours into it over the week. As soon as I possibly could, I ditched the main quest, along with all of the companions and the robot. Just started to explore a bit, and see if I could get into some trouble.

As I soon discovered, so many of the various structures and facilities are not only copy and pasted, again and again, but I reached a point that I knew precisely where an enemy would be as I cleared an area, right down to the way they would be facing, and seemingly even if they would be male or female. The very same items in the very same places, over and over. Anyone who has played the game surely knows what I mean.

Apparently while developing this title, no one enforced any sort of common sense with regard to the believability and practicality of these various human outposts. There is simply no proper recognition given to the various hostile environments portrayed in the game. Buildings with a very definite 'shirtsleeve environment' interior, but no airlocks present at the entry points. Shelters sometimes not only have no restroom facilities, but not even any beds. And, it's -205° C. on a moon with no atmosphere, and apparently the locals like to just lounge outdoors, drink beer from a bottle and eat toast, judging from what you find at these locations. Stupid stuff...

These are fundamental gaffes for a science-fiction game. Inexcusable, unforced errors. Very early in development, somebody should have started swinging the axe over this nonsense. The repetition the game undeniably displays isn't necessarily a deal-breaker. But, the hard-to-ignore disregard for immersion most definitely is. At least for me.
Vanilla Skyrim was like that too quite often but not always with regards to spawn points of enemies. As a fan of Bethesda titles for many yrs already, the devs just put the "bare bones" of a game out there & predict the modding community will do the rest. That seems to be usual for Bethesda open world RPGs.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Good friend of mine asked me to care for his pets over the holidays while he was travelling, and invited me to use his PC if I wished. I started a fresh game of Starfield, and I guess I put about 25 hours into it over the week. As soon as I possibly could, I ditched the main quest, along with all of the companions and the robot. Just started to explore a bit, and see if I could get into some trouble.

As I soon discovered, so many of the various structures and facilities are not only copy and pasted, again and again, but I reached a point that I knew precisely where an enemy would be as I cleared an area, right down to the way they would be facing, and seemingly even if they would be male or female. The very same items in the very same places, over and over. Anyone who has played the game surely knows what I mean.

Apparently while developing this title, no one enforced any sort of common sense with regard to the believability and practicality of these various human outposts. There is simply no proper recognition given to the various hostile environments portrayed in the game. Buildings with a very definite 'shirtsleeve environment' interior, but no airlocks present at the entry points. Shelters sometimes not only have no restroom facilities, but not even any beds. And, it's -205° C. on a moon with no atmosphere, and apparently the locals like to just lounge outdoors, drink beer from a bottle and eat toast, judging from what you find at these locations. Stupid stuff...

These are fundamental gaffes for a science-fiction game. Inexcusable, unforced errors. Very early in development, somebody should have started swinging the axe over this nonsense. The repetition the game undeniably displays isn't necessarily a deal-breaker. But, the hard-to-ignore disregard for immersion most definitely is. At least for me.
That's the problem, you ditched the main quest.

Unlike what was advertised, Starfield is NOT an open world game. Bethesda lied to you because there's f*ck all of value outside the main quest and faction quests. It's a short, story-driven game that is hollowed out, low-quality, and lifeless if you deviate from the one, intended playthrough.

The quality of any gameplay outside of the main story and four factions is F-tier garbage that wouldn't even be fit for a 15-year old smartphone F2P grindfest. I tried to enjoy it but as you say, it's pointless, bad, meaningless drivel that achieves nothing apart from wasting your time. It's not even a good way to gain XP/levels!

Play the main quest and factions like an on-rails campaign and don't shed a tear for the open world of older games. That Bethesda is dead, and it hasn't been healthy since the Fallout 3 days.

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
That's the problem, you ditched the main quest.

Unlike what was advertised, Starfield is NOT an open world game. Bethesda lied to you because there's f*ck all of value outside the main quest and faction quests. It's a short, story-driven game that is hollowed out, low-quality, and lifeless if you deviate from the one, intended playthrough.

The quality of any gameplay outside of the main story and four factions is F-tier garbage that wouldn't even be fit for a 15-year old smartphone F2P grindfest. I tried to enjoy it but as you say, it's pointless, bad, meaningless drivel that achieves nothing apart from wasting your time. It's not even a good way to gain XP/levels!

Play the main quest and factions like an on-rails campaign and don't shed a tear for the open world of older games. That Bethesda is dead, and it hasn't been healthy since the Fallout 3 days.

I find a fair few of the side quests to be enjoyable aswell - the ones you can get while exploring neon and the other cities.

But i agree that going outside the cities and exploring planets is a complete waste of time, sadly... aside of just seeing the different enviroments there are (which looks pretty cool tbf).

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
That’s true, but the issue then arises that the actual quality of the storytelling and overall gameplay is just pretty damn bad at worst and kinda mediocre at best. You start questioning yourself why the hell you are playing THIS when, if we are talking linear campaigns, there are other games that execute this aspect infinitely better. It’s not for combat, obviously, since the gunplay is just passable and fighting copy-pasted bulletsponges isn’t fun. Not the characters, since even the most story integral ones are just painfully boring. I mean, yeah, if you feel like you HAVE to force yourself to play through Starfield, then this would be the way to do it. I would personally rather recommend just installing Enderal and playing an actual good game that executes both the open world and the story campaign aspects better than anything Beth has made since MW. Life isn’t long enough to play mediocre slop.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
That’s true, but the issue then arises that the actual quality of the storytelling and overall gameplay is just pretty damn bad at worst and kinda mediocre at best. You start questioning yourself why the hell you are playing THIS when, if we are talking linear campaigns, there are other games that execute this aspect infinitely better. It’s not for combat, obviously, since the gunplay is just passable and fighting copy-pasted bulletsponges isn’t fun. Not the characters, since even the most story integral ones are just painfully boring. I mean, yeah, if you feel like you HAVE to force yourself to play through Starfield, then this would be the way to do it. I would personally rather recommend just installing Enderal and playing an actual good game that executes both the open world and the story campaign aspects better than anything Beth has made since MW. Life isn’t long enough to play mediocre slop.
Agreed.

I never said I found the mainline/faction quests good - but they're the only gameplay that's even remotely worth bothering with. I thought the plot was okay and the gunplay was okay. I quite liked building my own ship and can see potential in the weapon/crafting/base-building aspects but they're too shallow, quite high-effort, and entirely skippable - so what's the point of them, exactly?

It's not all bad, but so much of it is bad that I have no desire to suffer through any of it for a second replay. Classic Bethesda nonsense like broken quests and NPC bugs everywhere - I mean like a good 20-30% of the quest line conversations I had were like odd, forced little plays put on for me where everyone put down what they were doing and ran to their new place in the scene where their job (and they utterly failed at it) was to "act natural" while the Main NPC talking to me was facing the wrong way, bouncing up and down as they had a clipping fight with part of the map and eventually won as they slowly fall through the floor and out the bottom of the map or phase through the ceiling/table/chair/whatever.

All the things Bethesda were bad at in 2005 they are still bad at, to a greater degree. The hubris, the bugs, the filler quests/radiant quests, the disregard for players' time, the lack of absolutely mandatory options, the godawful default UI and inventory management.

I couldn't even play my first playthrough without mods - I had to mod the gamma, the colour filters, the UI, the interface framerate, the ship controls (to fix an unpatched bug) and my save broke because I dared to use a cargo link in my base before the first patch that addressed it. Did nobody playtest it before launch?!

System Name PC-GX1
Processor i9 10900 non K (stock) TDP 65w
Motherboard asrock b560 steel legend | Realtek ALC897
Cooling cooler master hyper 2x12 LED turbo argb | 5x12cm fan rgb intake | 3x12cm fan rgb exhaust
Memory corsair vengeance LPX 2x32gb ddr4 3600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB Gaming Z Trio LHR TDP 370w| 551.76 WHQL | MSI AB v4.65 | RTSS v7.35
Storage NVME 2+2TB gen3| SSD 4TB sata3 | 1+2TB 7200rpm sata3| 4+4+5TB USB3 (optional)
Display(s) AOC U34P2C (IPS panel, 3440x1440 75hz) + speaker 5W*2 | APC BX1100CI MS (660w)
Case lianli lancool 2 mesh RGB windows - white edition | 1x dvd-RW usb 3.0 (optional)
Audio Device(s) Nakamichi soundstation8w 2.1 100W RMS | Simbadda CST 9000N+ 2.1 352W RMS
Power Supply seasonic focus gx-850w 80+ gold - white edition 2021 | APC BX2200MI MS (1200w)
Mouse steelseries sensei ten | logitech g440
Keyboard steelseries apex 5 | steelseries QCK prism cloth XL | steelseries arctis 5
VR HMD -
Software dvd win 10 home 64bit oem + full update 22H2
Benchmark Scores -
so, when bethesda can make this game to fully support of FSR v3.0, officially ??

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
This game is so unoptimized, I just got this used (new) laptop. I have never saw a game used up so many processors cores. I know its a laptop processor but its the fastest 13th gen intel. The gpu is a 4080 laptop version.

1707951916086.png

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
This game completely fell off the map. When Fallout 4 came out there was much more buzz around it for much longer. Of course Skyrim is still the GOAT. People are still developing mods for it. Nobody cares about Starfield.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Power Supply 330w psu
This game completely fell off the map. When Fallout 4 came out there was much more buzz around it for much longer. Of course Skyrim is still the GOAT. People are still developing mods for it. Nobody cares about Starfield.
I stopped playing after about 110hrs, it got so boring so fast. I didnt send any money on it, I got it free with a AMD gpu, I returned the gpu, kept the game. I stopped when I complete the main quest. I actually completed the main quest at about 80hrs but I kinda continued here and there for another 30hrs. It has no replay value. Fallout 3/4 has lots of replay value.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

Which is surprising, because I hate every fallout game. Literally cannot stand them. I dont mind starfield though.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Power Supply 330w psu
Which is surprising, because I hate every fallout game. Literally cannot stand them. I dont mind starfield though.
What dont you like about the fallout games?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
What dont you like about the fallout games?

you name it. I dont like any of the universes. Character models, environment biome, enemy models, the pipboy, the story is meh to me.

It isnt just one thing. I dont like the games period.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
you name it. I dont like any of the universes. Character models, environment biome, enemy models, the pipboy, the story is meh to me.

Yeah if the setting doesn't work for you, that's the end of it.
And if the setting does really work for you, you'll probably accept poor gameplay as well. Immersion can carry any game, if its strong enough to you.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64

I loved Fallout and Fallout 2. I was skeptical, but kind of psyched when Fallout 3 was announced and how much different it played - according to the game magazines.

When I got the game, that's when I found out I really disliked it. The tactical combat for picking locations was pointless, the game was turned into a crappy first/third-person shooter. The character models bothered me, the combat bothered me and so on.

Fallout Vegas, on the other hand, I enjoyed. I didn't do multiple play throughs, but at least I found it tolerable by just accepting it to be what it was - a run of the mill first/third-person shooter. One thing I really liked about that was most memorable for me was the 50's type music that played. I always had my radio tuned to the music.

Fallout 4 - bleh, this one sucked. I struggled playing through it and I'm glad I got it dirt cheap otherwise I would have felt ripped off. This one and Fallout 3 kind of felt like Oblivion, just awful. You're really not missing much if you don't enjoy the Bethesda Fallout games.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

So are we talking 1/2 or the later games here?

Anyway been playing some and

I came to the bit with the Starborn or whatever attacked the lodge, and I was out at the Eye, and Sam Jensen died, and it was such a great moment. No drama. He was just dead. His daughter was pissed at me, which was understandable, and Sarah was like "No, no, no" and I was like "Gotta go!" because I did have to go and that was the end of that. Now I'm back at the lodge and everyone is like "Oh there's a hole after him", but nothing more. The only thing that would have made the moment better is if I could have said "Good riddance", but alas. Not that I disliked him, but that would have been great. But I really liked the lack of drama, it was just something that happened. Make of that what you will, Player.

Fallout Vegas, on the other hand, I enjoyed. I didn't do multiple play throughs, but at least I found it tolerable by just accepting it to be what it was - a run of the mill first/third-person shooter. One thing I really liked about that was most memorable for me was the 50's type music that played. I always had my radio tuned to the music.

Fallout 4 - bleh, this one sucked. I struggled playing through it and I'm glad I got it dirt cheap otherwise I would have felt ripped off. This one and Fallout 3 kind of felt like Oblivion, just awful. You're really not missing much if you don't enjoy the Bethesda Fallout games.

I strongly disagree New Vegas is a run of the mill shooter. It's a pretty great RPG in its own right, even though yes it is also a shooter.

Fallout 4 is so bad I have something like 60 hours in it because I was fascinated with how terrible it was. It's mind-boggling. It's bewildering. Entertaining, but only if you think experiencing terrible writing and design is interesting in its own right, and in this case I do find it interesting. It was so bad I started to take notes. If I'm ever going to do a five hour long Youtube video essay it will be on Fallout 4.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm still looking forward to revisiting Starfield maybe 6 months after the expansion comes out. I think all of the patches and expansion will be a solid game. I do recall having fun with the game in the 30 or so hours I played it on launch week. On the same hand I am glad I stopped, because it will be worth coming back for a full playthrough someday when it is fully fleshed out.

I do this with most games nowadays, since everything gets a million patches in our modern era of gaming. lol I have learned to live with it, plenty of backlog to keep me busy, plus its nice approaching games not as a "hype train" type of fun, but as a "hey I still love gaming man" type of fun.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ohhh ok, I was gonna add that if he's resurrected I would have been pissed, but this is better.

System Name Detox sleeper
Processor Intel i9-7980XE@4,5Ghz
Motherboard Asrock x299 Taichi XE (custom bios with ecc reg support, old microcode)
Cooling Custom water: Alphacool XT45 1080 + 9xArctic P12, EK-D5 pump combo, EK Velocity D-RGB block
Memory 8x16Gb Hynix DJR ECC REG 3200@4000
Video Card(s) Intel Arc A770 LE 16Gb + CMP 100-210 (Tesla V100 16Gb)
Storage Samsung PM9A1 1Tb + PM981 512Gb + Kingston HyperX 480Gb + Samsung Evo 860 500Gb
Display(s) HP ZR30W (30" 2560x1600)
Case Chieftec 1E0-500A-CT04 + AMD Sempron sticker + Titan fan controller
Audio Device(s) Genius Cavimanus
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex 750w Platinum
Mouse Logitech G400
Keyboard Dell Oem + Focus Fk2000 plus
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
It is now playable. Bit still not very optimized. I need to update my mods. A770 16Gb.
I play with 1920x1080, 100% render, med-high, custom reshade, no dynamic res, upscaled to 2560x1600, frame gen set to 60.
139440_f2ugzhcowh2mrh8j_kepernyokep_2024-02-17_103218.png

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
"Teravolts" as technobabble is always funny.

System Name Favourite toy(s)
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X lapped & Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock X670E Steel Legend / Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite
Cooling Deep Cool AK620 / Stock cooler
Memory G.Skill F5-5600J3036D16GX2-FX5 / Corsair Vengeance CMH32GX5M2B5600C36
Video Card(s) RX 6800 XT factory overclocked / iGPU
Storage 1 + 2TB T-Force Cardea A440 pro / 2 x Kingston KC3000 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G5 Odyssey / Philips 278E9Q
Case MSI MPG Sekira 100R / Silverstone Redline mATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE 7.1 + AT -AD500X / Onboard + Creative 2.1 soundbar
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x V2 / Corsair RM750x V2
Mouse MSI Clutch GM20 Elite / CM Reaper
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon / MS Internet keyboard
First play with this game today. I waited a bit for patches to catch up but still using 23.10.2 drivers for my RX 6800 XT.
Only an hour & a half done into it, reminds me a bit of the Outer Worlds.
Anyway playing with Ultra preset & FSA 3 is enabled by default with this @ 1440p
Here is what HWiNFO presents after the session. the 100% CPU usage at some stage during the game play on all 12 threads of my 7600X is a concern, but it is what it is. Ambients of 24C.
Also have a custom PBO tuning. I notice my power mate electricity consumption meter hanging around 430W avg, that's about 200W more than a modded Skyrim AE with 33+ mods does on avg for the whole system.
First_1.30 hrs - Copy.png

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
I've enjoyed Starfield, as a fan of Bethesda games in general. But the overwhelming feeling I got while playing the game is that it simply wasn't finished. It felt like I was playing with beta version of the game throughout.

i find it sad the community seems to be losing heart and enthusiasm on it. I think it deserves better. But it also needs to be finished. Bethesda really intended you to play lawful good alignment here. It needs to broaden its scope.

I purchased the Premium edition back then so I already am entitled to the first DLC piece and that's when I'll return. Hopefully the game will feel more complete by then. If my newly developed Genshin habit doesn't get in the way that is...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
First play with this game today. I waited a bit for patches to catch up but still using 23.10.2 drivers for my RX 6800 XT.
Only an hour & a half done into it, reminds me a bit of the Outer Worlds.
Anyway playing with Ultra preset & FSA 3 is enabled by default with this @ 1440p
Here is what HWiNFO presents after the session. the 100% CPU usage at some stage during the game play on all 12 threads of my 7600X is a concern, but it is what it is. Ambients of 24C.
Also have a custom PBO tuning. I notice my power mate electricity consumption meter hanging around 430W avg, that's about 200W more than a modded Skyrim AE with 33+ mods does on avg for the whole system.
View attachment 337077

You might want to update to the latest AMD chipset drivers (new ones just came out recently) just grab it from AMD website, and update to latest GPU drivers, maybe also a repaste on that CPU... I am not an expert on the Ryzen 7600x, but that seems really hot 89 Celsius. My 5600X3D never even broke 60 Celsius with a similar type cooler, and that thing is rocking x3d cache which historically is known to run hot. Maybe that is normal though since those chips auto boost high then downclock quickly, I never liked that design personally. meh, it is what it is.

edit: nm I just realized your ambient is 24 Celsius, that is pretty toasty. so yeah those temps make sense I guess. my CPU handles starfield fine though, so I don't know what the issue is for everyone else, or maybe its the x3d cache giving the boost, I don't know

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

The first time I played the game (day 1 release) it crashed my PC several times. Like complete power drop. I did some investigating and it was pinning all cores a 100% and the CPU hit the cut off heat level. I had to adjust the cooling flow of the PC and add an additional top vent fan. It was bad. The game is not optimized. Hopefully that will be fixed once they release the first DLC.

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
The first time I played the game (day 1 release) it crashed my PC several times. Like complete power drop. I did some investigating and it was pinning all cores a 100% and the CPU hit the cut off heat level. I had to adjust the cooling flow of the PC and add an additional top vent fan. It was bad. The game is not optimized. Hopefully that will be fixed once they release the first DLC.

Well, would you rather that it only used 1 thread like fo4, and previous games based on gamebryo engine, with awful performance to match ?

I for one deffo prefer that it hammers your cpu and gives you better performance... 30 fps limited by a single thread in the city center in fo4 sucked.

People should honestly just have adequate cooling to begin with.