• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Starting network security company

Harroy Singh

I want to start my own network security company after I complete my network security engineering. I have planned to get atleast 5 years experience before I start my own enterprise. But my question is what exactly a. Network security company deals with. What exactly we have to do and is there any profit in the business

System Name Gaming Desktop
Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard asus rog alpha
Cooling H110i
Memory Corsair Dominator 16gb DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Storage EVO 840 500gb, EVO 850 500gb, Perc 710 Raid WD RED 4tbx4
Case Corsair 500r
Power Supply Antec 850
Mouse Logitec G502
Keyboard a cheap dell
read up on CISSP certification, SOX/PCI/HIPAA compliance auditing, Computer forensics, Windows administration, Linux administration.

you'll need a strong background in both systems and network administration to make a successful business. as well as a deep network of human contacts. most large companies do their security in house and only call in consultants for project work/audits. its far easier to make a successful career working at a large company doing security than it is to make a successful business providing that service to companies. small/medium sized companies the task is often still part of the system/network administrators position, with outsourcing of project work ( often to vendor recommended companies).

at the grunt level: 90% of the job is looking over logs and reports for discrepancies, the other 10% is remediating/explaining those discrepancies. at the upper end its vulnerability and penetration creation and remediation ( meaning you'll need good programming skills as well).

if you don't already have a strong background in system and/or network administration or low level programming languages ( like assembly) , you should start with that before looking at specializing in security. because without those skills you'll never succeed.