• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Starting to get pissed at Microsoft

_33

System Name BEAST
Processor Intel Core i7 920 C0 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA batch 3844A509
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3
Cooling CoolIt ECO A.L.C. 120mm radiator
Memory G.SKILL F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI PC3-12800 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-21
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB 850MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV
Storage SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 750GB X 2, WD2500KS 250GB, WD15EARS 1.5TB, WD20EARS 2.0TB
Display(s) LG W2361V-PF Monitors 23” Widescreen LCD Monitor (23.0” diagonal)
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply ATX V2.2 20/24PIN EPS12V Qfan 140MM Fan Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Hey all!

Yesterday I managed to fix my DVD drive that got deffective months ago. It happened to be a foam bushing that was in the drive that wasn't supposed to be there. I aml positive the people at LG messed up when they built it and left a filler in the unit. I removed it and now it works. BUT.................. What you are about to read is the real problem. :laugh:

I installed the now working DVD unit, LG GSA-4160B that I got as a birthday present 1.5 years ago, now fully working. After Windows XP has properly identified the new hardware, it asked me to re-activate windows!!! What?! Yes! Re-activate my legitimate copy of windows, because it decided that since I hadded new hardware, then, "hey, let me see is your copy of windows legitimate?"... So I went along, pressed a couple of buttons, then enter the registration key that I have for windows, which is stamped on my computer box, and also in my Windows XP manual. But, hey, what do you know, it blocks in the activation and doesn't like the code! A perfect legitimate code, from the Windows XP that I have bought in early 2002. :mad:

I decided to call the supplied number for activation; THERE IS NO SERVICE TO THE TELEPHONE NUMBER blabla... I go to the online Microsoft Support, grab a few numbers there; ALL DON'T WORK! Finally I got the Microsoft Headquarter phone number in Mississauga Ontario (1-905-...) . I call there and it gives me a choice between employee extensions or product support. I choose product support, and got to a guy! The guy asks me what do I need registration assistance in, so I answer that Microsoft Windows XP asks me to activate it, and I just added a DVD unit. The guy seemed embarrased a bit, told me that I needed to contact the product activation number, so I told him that NO PHONE NUMBERS WORK! :eek: He told me he will transfer me but to take note of the number also, which is 1-888-652-2342. OK so I wait and go to another assistant which asks me bluntly, with no hello or welcome or so forth: "what is the activation code?" !!! Me to respond; "Huh?? Sorry mam, I'll have to return to the Microsoft Windows XP activation to give that number, can you tell me?". The woman guides me in the process; "start, program files, accessories, system tools, windows activation..." "RIGHT!".... :wtf: I go there and hey, I get this 40 + numbers to give her on the phone! That done, Windows XP is now registered. I told the person; "I don't understand all your phone numbers are not valid.", she said; "I will give you the activation phone number for the next time it will ask you...". I responded; "I have the phone number, it's; 1-888-652-2342. She answers; "No, that' the Microsoft Office activation support line. The telephone number for WIndows is 1-888-571-2048" !!!!! :twitch:

Microsoft.......... :shadedshu

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
_33 said:
Hey all!

Yesterday I managed to fix my DVD drive that got deffective months ago. It happened to be a foam bushing that was in the drive that wasn't supposed to be there. I aml positive the people at LG messed up when they built it and left a filler in the unit. I removed it and now it works. BUT.................. What you are about to read is the real problem. :laugh:

I installed the now working DVD unit, LG GSA-4160B that I got as a birthday present 1.5 years ago, now fully working. After Windows XP has properly identified the new hardware, it asked me to re-activate windows!!! What?! Yes! Re-activate my legitimate copy of windows, because it decided that since I hadded new hardware, then, "hey, let me see is your copy of windows legitimate?"... So I went along, pressed a couple of buttons, then enter the registration key that I have for windows, which is stamped on my computer box, and also in my Windows XP manual. But, hey, what do you know, it blocks in the activation and doesn't like the code! A perfect legitimate code, from the Windows XP that I have bought in early 2002. :mad:

I decided to call the supplied number for activation; THERE IS NO SERVICE TO THE TELEPHONE NUMBER blabla... I go to the online Microsoft Support, grab a few numbers there; ALL DON'T WORK! Finally I got the Microsoft Headquarter phone number in Mississauga Ontario (1-905-...) . I call there and it gives me a choice between employee extensions or product support. I choose product support, and got to a guy! The guy asks me what do I need registration assistance in, so I answer that Microsoft Windows XP asks me to activate it, and I just added a DVD unit. The guy seemed embarrased a bit, told me that I needed to contact the product activation number, so I told him that NO PHONE NUMBERS WORK! :eek: He told me he will transfer me but to take note of the number also, which is 1-888-652-2342. OK so I wait and go to another assistant which asks me bluntly, with no hello or welcome or so forth: "what is the activation code?" !!! Me to respond; "Huh?? Sorry mam, I'll have to return to the Microsoft Windows XP activation to give that number, can you tell me?". The woman guides me in the process; "start, program files, accessories, system tools, windows activation..." "RIGHT!".... :wtf: I go there and hey, I get this 40 + numbers to give her on the phone! That done, Windows XP is now registered. I told the person; "I don't understand all your phone numbers are not valid.", she said; "I will give you the activation phone number for the next time it will ask you...". I responded; "I have the phone number, it's; 1-888-652-2342. She answers; "No, that' the Microsoft Office activation support line. The telephone number for WIndows is 1-888-571-2048" !!!!! :twitch:

Microsoft.......... :shadedshu

*scratches head* that would be a good way to steal product keys... develop a program that has the same gUI as the activation thing, and wait for an event like installing new hardware or upgrading to service pack "X" (<-just an example) and have it execute and tell you to put in your product key, then have it send it to the server, where it is then logged. After that, the window will close and have the real activation GUI spawn up at the same coordinates so then when you click for the activation number, it is legitimate from windows and you wouldn't susspect a thing....

System Name Air Cooled Caselabs BH8
Processor Intel Coffee Lake 8700K @ 4.7
Motherboard MSI Gaming M5
Cooling Noctua D15s, 5x 140mm Noctua Chromax, 1x 120mm Noctua Chromax, 2x 80mm Noctua fans
Memory G. Skill Trident Z RGB series 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
Storage Samsung EVO 840 250gb SSD, Samung EVO PRO 256gb SSD, 2 TB WD Black Edition HDD.
Display(s) 24" Asus Gaming ROG 144hz
Case Black Caselabs BH8
Power Supply 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSU with individually sleeved black cables
Mouse Logitech Wireless G403
Keyboard Corsair Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Wow....

I usaully get people I cant understand. When I call them

So you cant activate windows, they should give you a activation code.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Lol I have 3 different PC's/laptops in the house, all with licensed versions of XP Home, I have used them all in this (my gaming rig). Just as you said, I updated the Motherboard.......new actication required....upgraded CPU......new activation required.........upgraded Hard Disks....reloaded Windows ALL STOP!!!! You can only activate the same product key twice, after that........Buy another Windows or become Bald tryin to get hold of Microsoft, in my case, I spent 2 hours on different numbers with Microsoft UK and when I finally got a real person they said that I should not keep upgrading my PC!!!! I gave the guy a broadside of ************ and used me laptop product key to activate. The old proverb "Pay Peanuts.......get Monkeys" springs to mind but these Monkeys are on Golden Nuggets!!

Cooling Noctua D15s, 5x 140mm Noctua Chromax, 1x 120mm Noctua Chromax, 2x 80mm Noctua fans
Storage Samsung EVO 840 250gb SSD, Samung EVO PRO 256gb SSD, 2 TB WD Black Edition HDD.
Case Black Caselabs BH8
Power Supply 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSU with individually sleeved black cables
Software Windows 10
The cpu, you shouldnt of had to update windows, I changed many never needed to.

See thats why I like crazypc, Or Frozencpu, if you buy or ask about thier products, easy support, And they will guide you through stuff. Just ask for Mike at crazypc, guys good.

Also Microsoft has corny waiting music, usual wait time can range from 5 mins to 2 hours. They have alot of people you cant understand. There not inside a pc tech support place to call, most of them only know and do stuff about the software

Last edited:

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
M$ is bad... I updated my ram... they say another activation key... GO LINUX!

Case Black Caselabs BH8
Software Windows 10
Is linux really as better as microsoft???? Ive always wanted to use (buy) linux.... But idk how to use it, or what is so good about it..