• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Deck - AMD APU, SteamOS 3 (Arch/KDE)

• Thread starter Deleted member 202104
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The specs are great, but the move to Arch from Debian is extremely surprising (and brave :)). I would have expected they would go Ubuntu instead ...

D

Deleted member 202104

The specs are great, but the move to Arch from Debian is extremely surprising (and brave :)). I would have expected they would go Ubuntu instead ...

Agreed. I'm looking forward to the background on why they made that change. Hopefully it proves to be a popular product - A handheld gaming PC with access to your Steam Library is pretty exciting.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This does not look that appealing to me.

The screen is only has a 720p. Given the low power specs, this makes sense.
It's really big, to the point that I even wonder if it's worth it compared to just carrying a laptop.
It has no AV output other than Displayport Alt-Mode through the single USB-C port. I would have much rather seen at least a dedicated mini HDMI port on the unit itself.
Only one USB-C port, which appears to be for charging. So you can't easily hooked up a keyboard and mouse to it if you wanted.
For some reason you have to buy the $650 version to get an anti-glare screen, so the cheaper models are useless.

Yes, some of these issues are addressed by the dock, but that's an unknown extra cost at this point(I'd guess its going to be in the $100+ range.)

At $650 you are approaching low end gaming laptop territory. And you can say "just buy one of the cheaper models" but the storage is so small on those, that you are going to end up using Steam Remote Play almost constantly, and at that point, a cheap laptop would probably be a better purchase(not to mention the lower quality screen on the cheaper models).

Hell, for $630 you can go get a laptop off Newegg right now with 16GB of RAM, a 512GB NVMe SSD, and a 5500u. You'll have a lot more power, it's arguably just as portable, there is no need for an extra dock, it has a 1090p screen, and it is a full blown freakin' computer not a single purpose gaming system. I guess I just don't see the appeal of the Steam Deck compared to something like that laptop.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
For $400 it's actually not bad. If they bundle in some kind of subscription game service it could be a nice alternative to a switch.

Reminds me of a sega game gear I used to have way back in the day.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This does not look that appealing to me.

The screen is only has a 720p. Given the low power specs, this makes sense.
It's really big, to the point that I even wonder if it's worth it compared to just carrying a laptop.
It has no AV output other than Displayport Alt-Mode through the single USB-C port. I would have much rather seen at least a dedicated mini HDMI port on the unit itself.
Only one USB-C port, which appears to be for charging. So you can't easily hooked up a keyboard and mouse to it if you wanted.
For some reason you have to buy the $650 version to get an anti-glare screen, so the cheaper models are useless.

Yes, some of these issues are addressed by the dock, but that's an unknown extra cost at this point(I'd guess its going to be in the $100+ range.)

At $650 you are approaching low end gaming laptop territory. And you can say "just buy one of the cheaper models" but the storage is so small on those, that you are going to end up using Steam Remote Play almost constantly, and at that point, a cheap laptop would probably be a better purchase(not to mention the lower quality screen on the cheaper models).

Hell, for $630 you can go get a laptop off Newegg right now with 16GB of RAM, a 512GB NVMe SSD, and a 5500u. You'll have a lot more power, it's arguably just as portable, there is no need for an extra dock, it has a 1090p screen, and it is a full blown freakin' computer not a single purpose gaming system. I guess I just don't see the appeal of the Steam Deck compared to something like that laptop.

it has microsd card slot expansion. i have a 400gb microsd card collecting dust, so the cheapest model does hold some appeal for me. would be nice to game in bed (this is easier than a laptop as far as comfort goes)

I don't want the anti glare screen anyway, I have been an advocate for a long long time about going back to glass screens for monitors, they look so much sharper and the colors pop better. I game in a dark room/area though so glare never been an issue for me. I probably am going to reserve the $399 variant. will be neat being able to go doctor and still play my steam games in the never ending waiting rooms. laptop is still rather difficult to do that on... no area to put a mouse, etc.

i see this holding its value fairly well too. so if in a year i decide to sell i can prob get 280 out of it and only lose 120 for a year of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.