• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Deck Owners Clubhouse

Do you plan to purchase a Steam Deck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Phew almost purchased the steam deck oled but didn’t get one in the end

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Cooling corsair h150i
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
i recently aquired a 1tb oled steam deck and the first game i've been jamming is I am Setsuna...
any recommendations of JRPGs that is easy on ze battery life?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
i recently aquired a 1tb oled steam deck and the first game i've been jamming is I am Setsuna...
any recommendations of JRPGs that is easy on ze battery life?

Just filter steam deck verified on the steam store and choose the RPG category and just scroll and have a look is my advice.

I was able to put about 100 hours on FFX HD Remaster on my Deck and I limited wattage to about 4 watts and still got the max 30 fps for that game. Wild. :)

Sea of Stars is a RPG on top of my wish list and Deck Verified, just an fyi it has a free demo if you want to give it a try.

Last edited:
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Searching ProtonDB is also useful. https://www.protondb.com/search?q=JRPG

What is the difference between Gold and Platinum on that site? Both can have the Green Verified checkmark, but still be Gold or Platinum, so I don't get it. I still prefer the Steam Store as you get review scores from the community as your scrolling the lists.

I do use ProtonDB to find obscure or older game compatibility though, its great for that, usually the comments section of an older game will tell you what version of Proton to use in SteamOS etc

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Cooling corsair h150i
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
i fired up the original resident evil remake and holy smokes... it looks so good on the steam deck

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Cooling corsair h150i
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
does the steam deck have an option like geforce experience where they optimize games?
for e.g for battery life instead of performance

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Cooling corsair h150i
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Hey guys I have a genuine question regarding battery drain on the steam deck oled… which one drains the battery quicker?

1. Higher game settings but resulting in lower fps (sub 50) for example
2. Lower game settings but resulting in higher fps for 90hz fluidity.

System Name Desktop + SteamDeck OLED
Processor i7-10700K @ -0.130mV offset
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 280mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3200MT/s CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition @ 1830MHz, 800mV
Hey guys I have a genuine question regarding battery drain on the steam deck oled… which one drains the battery quicker?

Too hard to say for sure. High FPS will increase CPU usage more and high game settings will increase GPU usage more. I'd expect higher settings to increase power usage more overall but it could vary game to game too. You will have to test it yourself in your games, use the performance overlay to monitor it

does the steam deck have an option like geforce experience where they optimize games?
Not out of the box. Maybe there are plugins/mods people have made. And some games even have a Steam Deck settings preset. I just use the level 2 performance overlay to configure my games when I get them.

I chose an FPS target then dial in the game settings to my liking. Then I drop my TDP limit to the lowest it will go while maintaining those quality and FPS targets

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I have fallen into a new habit with my Steam Deck that I did not expect when I bought it. I have my desk set up with my Steam Deck connected to my monitor and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. My gaming PC is also on the desk connected to the same monitor with its own keyboard and mouse. I have been using the Steam Deck for daily use more than my gaming PC. At full tilt my Steam Deck uses approximately as much as my gaming PC does at idle. I will pull my Steam Deck off the dock to go to bed, the couch, or even the bathroom. I've been using my Steam Deck more than my gaming desktop. If I didn't like certain demanding games so much I would happily sell my gaming PC.

What is the difference between Gold and Platinum on that site? Both can have the Green Verified checkmark, but still be Gold or Platinum, so I don't get it. I still prefer the Steam Store as you get review scores from the community as your scrolling the lists.
As proton defines it on their website,
  • Platinum runs perfectly out of the box
  • Gold runs perfectly after a few tweaks
  • Silver runs with minor issues, but is generally playable
  • Bronze runs but often crashes or has issues preventing from playing comfortably.
  • Borked either won't start or is crucially unplayable.
These rankings are created from user reports. I have included a screenshot of Proton's statistics for the top 1000 games on Steam as measured by peak concurrent players.
1710521180981.png

In my personal experience, anything marked Silver or above has played perfectly out of the box on my Steam Deck. Proton's user reports encompass all versions of linux and you can't account for every hardware configuration. Although things might work incredibly well on the Steam Deck, its software and hardware were specifically designed to maximize compatibility.

Steam Deck's verified system is simplistic to the point of almost being useless. It is borderline misinformation. Most of the "playable" but not verified titles are because of text scaling issues and being hard to read on a 7 inch screen. The Steam Deck Verified list is at most a basic guide for what games work well. If you want to know how well a game works or if it works at all, Proton does a better job.

Steam Deck / Valve does not yet and may never have a way to automatically optimize games like GeForce Experience. There are an abundance of user reports for popular games with descriptive settings for optimized performance or battery life. Proton's user reports include a lot of this information but not every user report does. ShareDeck and SteamDeckHQ both created their own third party game settings databases. Between all three sources you can hopefully find what you need if you are unwilling or unable to experiment yourself.

Depending on your game settings, the Steam Deck will provide more power to the CPU or GPU. Unless you are plugged in it does not have enough budget to fully power both. You would have to measure for each game if 50fps higher visual settings or 90fps would drain the battery more. Luckily Valve has provided easy access to power usage information so you can accurately measure this while playing the game. I doubt there would be much of a difference in battery life if you are using the full extent of the hardware.

I tend to save demanding games for my PC while I play low power games on my Steam Deck. I play Stardew Valley, Hades, and similar games where I can get 3-8 hours of battery life. You can limit the TDP to increase battery life as well. I prefer battery life over FPS.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut

This imo is more evidence that Linux OS does something to help improve "frame smoothing" either unintentionally or intentionally, because I have this experience of not minding 30 or 60 fps on SteamOS, but not on Windows. Windows I still hate 60 fps with a passion. On Steam Deck though it doesn't bother me at all.

I think what is going on here is extreme level of optimization on Arch Linux has created a smoothing effect by accident perhaps. It's not perfect by any means, but it does make it so 60 fps doesn't bother me at all.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
I am really surprised that linux is one of the main selling points of the deck.
Well, not entirely. We all knew that linux was great, even if it had some drawbacks, but 99% of them seem to no longer exist in the steamdeck, or haven't existed for a while, but it has taken up until now for people to realise.
Let's hope that this means wider adoption of linux! 2025, year of the linux desktop.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I am really surprised that linux is one of the main selling points of the deck.
Well, not entirely. We all knew that linux was great, even if it had some drawbacks, but 99% of them seem to no longer exist in the steamdeck, or haven't existed for a while, but it has taken up until now for people to realise.
Let's hope that this means wider adoption of linux! 2025, year of the linux desktop.
Valve has spent the last decade building and improving the tools necessary to make this happen.