• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange GPU behaviour in GPU-Z. (is my card fried?)

mengo

Hello people!

I have a problem with my nVidia 750m and I need your help. I'm pretty sure the inevitable has already happened but inside me there is still a flicker of hope and I just wanted to hear a second opinion.

my laptop> Acer Aspire V5 573G, intel core i5-4200U
nVidia GT 750m 4096 MB, 967 MHz, : 900 MHz, DDR3,
8GB RAM, Windows 7 x64

the dedicated GPU (NV750m) has apparently stopped working. although it is found and listed in device manager and in the nVidia Control Panel, setting it as default in the "global" profile or choosing "run with graphics processor- High Perf. Nvidia" does nothing to actually start the GPU. I get low FPS in games because only the integrated Intel GPUcan be used (and GPU-Z detects its usage at 100%).
the 750M meanwhile is at 0% usage and up to 8% sometimes even 23% (can those be just artifacts?) and exhibits the same strange pattern of individual spikes with the clocks and load indicators switching between their values and "-- %"

here are the screenshots

deviceman.PNG

GPU1.PNG

notice the missing Bandwidth value.... CUDA and DirectCompute shouldn't be missing also , right?

2.PNG

3.PNG

I started a game in the middle of the testing period but patterns don't change as with the integrated Intel GPU below

intel.gif

everything is alright with the integrated intel GPU

it started when I was playing a long session of Mount & Blade and it started lagging slightly at certain places. Now M&B is not a GPU heavy game so i didn't realize that maybe the 750m had just turned off.
Next day all 3d games and graphic rendering programs were at >halved fps.

What I tried so hard and got not so far:

*reinstalling nVidia drivers. (clean install)

*disabling and uninstalling the integrated intel GPU driver and restarting results in windows booting with the basic VGA drivers... 3d games don't start at all

*last known configuration

*system restore to 1 day before it happened

*getting the same reading from MSI afterburner , same spiky pattern , but there the spikes have lower peaks (max usage 4%)

*CCleaner - registry repair

*DxDiag shows only integrated Intel GPU but I think it could be normal .... Is there a way to REINSTALL DX ?

*in BIOS there is no option to choose witch GPU to boot with

the only other thing I can remember but I think is irrelevant is that I installed iTunes to listen to a stupid podcast from the university and it messed my DAEMON TOOLS somehow (I didn't know back then iTunes was the culprit) so it wasn't able to mount a virtual image. I should had fixed this by simply uninstalling iTunes but I followed the solution of some guys in the DT forum to delete those two registry entries:

"UpperFilter" and "lowerFilter" values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} .... it has prob. nothing to do with the GPU problem

I'm at loss here. I think the card is gone. It's still in warranty but having to backup everything and reinstall the whole system would be pain in the a**.

Edit: I do apologize if this isn't the right place to post this. please be so kind to move it's if so.
10x

Last edited:
System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Just for reference, when you run a game do you use it in full screen mode or windowed mode. If windowed try Full Screen because I have seen issues with switching between the iGPU and regular GPU on my MSI laptop before.

mengo

tried both fullscreen and windowed and borderless on different games that worked before every time is the same