• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stuttering Problem when monitoring 2x5970

connector

I am using the following system:

- Processor: Intel Core i7 975 EE
- Cooler: TRUE COGAG Extreme
- Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME
- RAM: 6GB DDR3 Viper Patiot
- Graphics: 2 x ASUS EAH5970
- PSU: Tagan 1300W PipeRock
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

From the latest drivers from ATI, and with GPU-Z's option that updates data in the background, there is stuttering in GPU-intensive programs.

In other monitoring applications, increasing the data refresh time in milliseconds, the problem disappears.

I wonder if i can do that with GPU-Z and why I have this problem.

Thank you very much for your attention.

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
Hi,

First of all: Welcome to TPU !

I must say that it's rarely seen for new user to have their first post a genuinely useful one.
Thanks for sharing this observation. It may save someone's weekend and couple of grey hair...

Cheers,

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
try turning off the voltage sensors and see if the problem goes away. reading those takes a ton of time

connector

i have disabled volts monitoring but sttuttering still continue... Maybe more miliseconds could be the solution...

connector

Hi,

First of all: Welcome to TPU !

I must say that it's rarely seen for new user to have their first post a genuinely useful one.
Thanks for sharing this observation. It may save someone's weekend and couple of grey hair...

Cheers,

thank you very much Robal...

Valus

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard MSI 890FXA-GD70
Cooling Stock(roughly)
Memory 2x 4gigs=8192MB Gskill 1600
Video Card(s) XFX HD6870
Storage WD BE 1TB 64MB
Display(s) 2x Asus Mk241H @1920x1200 @60Hz w\Extended Desktop
Case Lian-Li PC-75B
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro , On-board RealtekHD used for Vent
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Quad 750 B (b4 OCZ buyout)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Interesting how this is still affecting people. I've had this problem non-stop since my ATI 3870 crossfire/non-crossfire, several different 4k/5k series cards and with my current 6870/6850 across every build of GPU-Z so far.

Just thought i'd now start posting considering it's causing systems to hang and to require a hard reboot(several other friends have exact same problem, i'll create a new post for this so i don't hijack)

Say playing a game after awhile the game's FPS will just drop and application will start to stutter going from a 10-40FPS hicup depending upon the game.

I've noticed that if i alt-tab out and turn GPU-Z off when this starts happening problem goes away.

and if i turn GPU-Z back on while in a game GPU-Z won't properly read anything(requires me to quit the 3D app and the open up GPU-Z before the application then it will read card stats correctly)

it's like theres a memory leak in the program and it's comsuming all of the GPU's resourse just to show the stats. I've notice that sometimes prior to this happening GPU load will spike and stay at 100%(say program was only using 20-50% average) and GPU temps will skyrocket.

System specs:
AMD X6 1100T
MSI 890FX-GD70
XFX 6870
RAM 2x4gigs 1600 Gskill
win 7 64 ult
PC Pow & Cool 750(before ocz buyout)

connector

Interesting how this is still affecting people. I've had this problem non-stop since my ATI 3870 crossfire/non-crossfire, several different 4k/5k series cards and with my current 6870/6850 across every build of GPU-Z so far.

Just thought i'd now start posting considering it's causing systems to hang and to require a hard reboot(several other friends have exact same problem, i'll create a new post for this so i don't hijack)

Say playing a game after awhile the game's FPS will just drop and application will start to stutter going from a 10-40FPS hicup depending upon the game.

I've noticed that if i alt-tab out and turn GPU-Z off when this starts happening problem goes away.

and if i turn GPU-Z back on while in a game GPU-Z won't properly read anything(requires me to quit the 3D app and the open up GPU-Z before the application then it will read card stats correctly)

it's like theres a memory leak in the program and it's comsuming all of the GPU's resourse just to show the stats. I've notice that sometimes prior to this happening GPU load will spike and stay at 100%(say program was only using 20-50% average) and GPU temps will skyrocket.

System specs:
AMD X6 1100T
MSI 890FX-GD70
XFX 6870
RAM 2x4gigs 1600 Gskill
win 7 64 ult
PC Pow & Cool 750(before ocz buyout)

If we can configure miliseconds update, the stuttering goes away... Increasing on AfterBurner the hardware poll intervall eliminates all stuttering.