• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Synology RT6600ax Wireless Router

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
"Many" is an exaggeration. I live in a country with very fast Internet, but the fastest you can get (without paying through the nose) is still 1Gbps. Fwiw, I get half of that and feel no need to go any faster.

I'm sure there are countries with faster then Gbit internet, but I don't think there are "many' at the moment.
Well, you've been able to get 10 Gbps in plenty of countries for at least a handful of years by now, obviously not nationwide, but that's unlikely to be the case any time soon.
I think you might be underestimating the infrastructure available in some places. Yes, it'll cost you a fair bit in most places, but it seems to largely come down to competition, which some countries seem to lack.
You can for a fact, get 10 Gbps for less than $50 a month in Sweden.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
least if you want something with 3x3 or 4x4, which most people ought to want, so they take advantage of MU-MIMO

Has anyone independently tested MU-MIMO since Tim Higgins hot mess take on it a few years back?

is still 1Gbps

I'm in the states and I get 200 Mbps down, we just got another ISP in town and low and behold by some miracle of science (or witchcraft) they will be raising our speeds to 400 Mbps in the coming months

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Has anyone independently tested MU-MIMO since Tim Higgins hot mess take on it a few years back?
He did a new test a while back, it works well IF all devices are WiFi 6, but not so well if its a mixed environment.
This is also why I'm hoping we'll see 802.11a/b/g/n gets depreciated with the launch of WiFi 7. The problem is that we're seemingly not getting any 2.4 GHz WiFi 6/7 chips, which would enable a host of improvements over the older 2.4 GHz standards.

alex2424

Not sure to purchase this after my RT2600ac only lasted 2 years.
It died just after its warranty ended.
Very strange as it all started to go wrong after an update.
The only way to get it up and running again was to completely reset it and start from scratch, it would then run fine for about 6 or 7 weeks and then it would crap its self and nothing!
Sadly Synology tech support were not that interested.... such a shame as when it was working it was a great router.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
I'm in the states and I get 200 Mbps down, we just got another ISP in town and low and behold by some miracle of science (or witchcraft) they will be raising our speeds to 400 Mbps in the coming months

Apparently stateside there are people here still on dial-up. Sad but true,..

Back to the matter at hand, the RT6600AX somewhat surprisingly sheds some arguably useful features it’s predecessors had like an SD card reader and *shock* more then one USB port. As this is the most expensive Router Synology has released to date at ~$300 MSRP cutting features doesn’t help sell the product IMO.

Also, this isn’t an early WiFi 6E router, it’s a late WiFi 6 router. Better late then never though. Hopefully Synology won’t be similarly as late with a true WiFi 6E implementation.

A single 2.5GbE port is a bit disappointing. Not a Greek tragedy but also not great.

Noteworthy point to be made here, not sure it was explicitly mentioned in the review, Synology SRM 1.3 being only available on the new RT6600AX means that users of the MR2200ac mesh are SOL. This is fine if you’re willing to buy two RT6600AX routers for mesh support (if needed) but that could be a tough pill to swallow for some. Sure there may be an updated version of the MR2200ac inbound (MR6600ax Mesh ???) but current MR2200ac users really should be able to hit the ground running with the RT6600ax,….not stumbling. Also the MR2200ac is reasonably priced.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Also, this isn’t an early WiFi 6E router, it’s a late WiFi 6 router. Better late then never though. Hopefully Synology won’t be similarly as late with a true WiFi 6E implementation.
It's also the first WiFi 6 router to support the 5.9 GHz band, which makes it a real curiosity.
Not sure if there are any devices that supports it at this point in time, but WiFi 7 will fix that if nothing else.

Thou are forgiven, my bi-polar... transistor? :D
Don't worry, I've fucked way bigger companies up while on a holiday!

And yes, I was talking about the DiskSPD scripts.
I am currently away on a business trip. Once I get back I will see to it.

The Wireless System-on-a-Chip (WiSOC) is a Qualcomm Atheros IPQ6018 featuring a quad-core ARM 64-bit A53 1.8 GHz processor. It supports 2x2 MU-MIMO with four streams; two in the 2.4 GHz band and two in the 5 GHz band. Since the specifications of the RT6600ax mention 4x4 MU-MIMO, there should be an additional WLAN chip.

The IPQ6010 doesn't actually have everything onboard (I think they consider it a platform?). Should have QCA5152 (5G) + QCA5121 (2.4G) under the shield on the right. (Otherwise you would have antennas coming out from the SoC ;) )

I know Qualcomm indicates otherwise when you look at their site, but it's a bit misleading. It's not like Broadcom's BCM6755 which is actually a full wireless SoC with 2.4 and 5G radios AIO.

Was just passing by because I'm curious about QCN9024. No one has information on the chip. Fairly new and looks beefier over the previous flagship 4x4 AX QCN5054 (from 2018).

Edit: Found a supplier site claiming it supports QAM-4096, but thats it.. Useless turbo/nitroQAM again? :D
Edit2: QAM-4096 Requires disabling 4SS down to > 2SS.. Ah so useless.

Last edited: