• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

system black screen, rebooted after loading up gpuz - vega 56

orlfman

so not sure if its coincidence or actually related, but i just had a black screen + freeze + reboot after i loaded up gpu-z while playing pubg at the same time to check out temps with my vega 56. everything was running great since i installed the card yesterday before this incident. and it was quick. like the moment gpu-z started to launch after i gave windows uac permission to load it, it froze.

i actually thought it was going to tdr as with my 580 i had similar problems, like loading up a youtube video while playing a game simultaneously, or loading up gpu-z would cause a tdr. but this didn't tdr, just rebooted. event viewer doesn't show anything useful. just a random warning un-schedule shutdown followed by a critical level shutdown. doesn't list a bsod or a tdr.

the reboot wasn't instant though. i heard the fan on my 56 spin up and down a few times for like 5-7 seconds before the reboot. do you think it could have been gpu-z that caused it or something else? anyone else have a similar event?