1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System Temp: How Hot is Too Hot?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Robert-The-Rambler, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    I have an I7 920 based rig in an Antec 300. I set all the system fans (Antec 3 speed ) on low except the side fan at medium and my idle system temp is currently 41 degrees celcius. The side fan is set as an exhaust fan because when I set it for intake system temp went up. At load with my 3 4850s pushed hard I've noticed temps approaching 50 degrees Celcius at times. (They are single slot and blow air instead of suck air like dual slot setups) The game I've been using to really test heat is Jericho. That game quickly shoots temp up in a hurry and that is where I've seen the hottest temps. How hot is too hot? I know at idle 40 degrees celcius is not that bad but seeing around 50 makes me nervous. Am I risking a problem here?

I have the fans set to be quiet because this is also a PC that I watch BLU RAY movies on so I can't have a wind tunnel.

The Monsoon Vigor 3 I'm usung to cool the CPU is a real dilemma because while it cools the CPU real well its fans blow the substantial I7 heat all over the case instead of in any one direction where it is best exhausted. In fact one fan blows air back toward one of my intake fans. Man that just doesn't make a while lot of sense.

2. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    50 is nothing. 60 and then things are getting a bit warm.

Robert-The-Rambler says thanks.
  3. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Well, cpu temp speaking anything over 60c in unacceptable. I like to keep it under 55c. If I can keep it under 50c I'm a happy man.

4. OmegaAI

OmegaAI New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since the Core i7s run hot in the first place, they can handle hotter temps than usual. Your GPUs are fine and can handle temps in excess 100C! But I would not let them get any hotter than 80C max. Also, the Core i7s can go up to 100C as well and be fine. I have seen people at OCN (overclock.net) take their CPUs up to 70-80C and be fine. I say, do not let your i7 go above 75C for it can get a little... warm in your case. If you really want to cool down your PC, skip the quiteness and throw in some slipstreams in the front, top and rear (you will have to make a brack to attach the 120mm to the 140mm fan hole). That will give you 220 in and 220 out (fan wise, but with all the restrictionk, I would say around 180-200 going in and out w/o the side fan. Put a nice little fan that moves are 60-80CFM on the side and you will be good to go. If you want some quite, get some Yate Loons that move 88CFM and put them in your case. That will knock your temps down some.

Robert-The-Rambler says thanks.
  5. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    CPU Temp is only ICY 35 degrees Celcius

Its the system temp that shot up ever since I installed the massive Monsoon Vigor CPU cooler.

6. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice

I set the GPU fans accordingly and they don't go higher than 80. The damn heat is coming from the I7 and probably the 6 sticks of DDR3 RAM and the 3 hard drives. With the stock heatsink and fan the I7 920 was around 70 at load. All the Monsoon Vigor is doing is releasing that heat into my case thus the amazing cool 35 to 40 degree temp now. My system temp definitely went up when I took out the stock heatsink and fan.

7. OmegaAI

OmegaAI New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that is why you should replace the fans in your case to something that moves more air. That way the heat gets out.