• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Team Group Launches Industry's First M.2 SSD with Vapor-Chamber Cooling

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
With the rise of high-performance computing (HPC), the demand for industrial product cooling has increased dramatically due to higher power requirements and heat generation in demanding industrial applications and platforms. In response, Team Group has adopted the VC (Vapor Chamber) liquid cooling technology, commonly for mobile devices, and introduced the industry's first M.2 SSD VC liquid cooling technology. The VC liquid cooling tube was redesigned from the ground up for PCIe M.2 SSD applications based on the high-speed transfer rates and heat generation patterns of high-speed PCIe M.2 SSD. The result is a liquid-cooled PCIe M.2 SSD with outstanding thermal performance that can sustain high-speed operation in harsh and dynamic industrial environments.

Team Group's N74V-M80 is an industrial grade VC Cooling M.2 SSD that utilizes proprietary liquid cooling technology (Taiwan Utility Model Patent: M626519). Through the specially designed VC liquid cooling tubes, cooling fluid is pumped to the heat zone of PCIe M.2 SSD controller. Heat is then transferred to the aluminium fin heat sink with a convective design via gas-liquid phase transition to enhance thermal performance. The N74V-M80 combines the functions of heat absorption, conduction, and dissipation to better transfer and regulate thermal energy.

Team Group's industrial control T.R.U.S.T. technology ("T" for Temperature) ensures that its PCIe M.2 SSD products maintain excellent transfer performance over a wide temperature range of -40°C (-40°F) to 85°C (185°F). In addition, the Team Group N74V-M80 uses TLC Flash and supports the PCIe Gen3 x4 interface and NVMe 1.3 standard, providing write and read speeds of up to 3,400 and 2,500 MB/s, respectively, and is suitable for industrial-grade HPC devices with adequate installation space. It can fully meet the high-speed computing needs while keeping it cool and energy-saving.

Under temperature performance testing, the N74V-M80 SSD with its VC liquid thermal module was better at maintaining efficient data writing capability than SSDs without heat sinks at an ambient temperature of 85°C due to a delayed slowdown mechanism, reducing data write time by 75%. These features significantly improving data read/write efficiency and stability and extending product life, making it the perfect choice for a reliable and durable industrial-grade SSD upgrade. Team Group continuously strives for innovation in the development of diverse cooling technologies so that customers can easily overcome any heating issues in harsh operating environments and enjoy superior storage performance. The company will continue to create the most reliable industrial storage solutions in response to the changing landscape and needs of the industrial storage market.

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Pointless, NAND performs better at higher temperature ranges anyway. You literally don't want it as cool as possible.

Processor Ryzen 9 5800X3d
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aeorus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR4 3600 MHz CL16 Trident Z @3666MHz tuned by Ryzen calculator
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti XC3 ULTRA@1800MHz 0.8v
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 2 TB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 42" LG C2 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P
Audio Device(s) Grado
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO X Superlight
Keyboard custom
Pointless, NAND performs better at higher temperature ranges anyway. You literally don't want it as cool as possible.
It depends on circumstances. I have mini itx board with chipset behind nvme ssd which is double sided because of capacity and I had hard resets wihout proper cooling because of 75 degrees on ssd memory chips.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
It depends on circumstances. I have mini itx board with chipset behind nvme ssd which is double sided because of capacity and I had hard resets wihout proper cooling because of 75 degrees on ssd memory chips.
It's not the NAND that's issue, but rather the SSD controller.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The controllers dont, thermal throttling is an issue with almost every NVME drive out there

I dont want drives that rely on external cooling, but it seems that's the way things are

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR4 3600 MHz CL16 Trident Z @3666MHz tuned by Ryzen calculator
Audio Device(s) Grado
Keyboard custom
It's not the NAND that's issue, but rather the SSD controller.
...rookie can you read what I said ? Its because mem chips. I had properly cooled controller with 60 degrees max but I had hard crashes anyway. Until I properly cooled backside of my ssd. Dont spread your nonsense without proper knowledge. Its more complex problem with double sided ssds and chipset hamburger near your 350w GPU. Controller can underclock, can throttle itself but not NANDs, they hard crash as countermeasure against overheating. This temperature is usually 75 degrees C. Sad thing is that you are not able to see this temperature in software.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
...rookie can you read what I said ? Its because mem chips. I had properly cooled controller with 60 degrees max but I had hard crashes anyway. Until I properly cooled backside of my ssd. Dont spread your nonsense without proper knowledge. Its more complex problem with double sided ssds and chipset hamburger near your 350w GPU. Controller can underclock, can throttle itself but not NANDs, they hard crash as countermeasure against overheating. This temperature is usually 75 degrees C. Sad thing is that you are not able to see this temperature in software.
Sorry what?
Did you not understand what I wrote?
It's not the NAND that's an issue, it's the controllers that get too hot and that's when you have issues.
Have you even read a single SSD review here? The temps you see in Windows can be off by as much as 20 degrees due to uncalibrated thermal sensors.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) Grado
Keyboard custom
Sorry what?
Did you not understand what I wrote?
It's not the NAND that's an issue, it's the controllers that get too hot and that's when you have issues.
Have you even read a single SSD review here? The temps you see in Windows can be off by as much as 20 degrees due to uncalibrated thermal sensors.
Yes I understand that, but I can see that you have problem with written text... its common these days, sadly. I'll recap it for you, ok ? Maybe it will be easier for you.
I have read many of them, also on competitor webs. Usually tested on open bench or in full tower, with most common capacities like 1TB or 512GB, where only problem with temperature is your mythical controller.
dgianstefani said that ist pointless to cool them, I said its not pointless and it depends on circumstances.
When you have biggest capacities with 2TB OR 4TB, usually are double sided. Thast your first problem. If you are using mini itx board, your secod problem is your chipset and heat disipated to back of your new 400e ssd. Your third problem is your gpu with 300w+ near your nvme.
As you can see you can have environment in your case, which is not easy on your ssd without heatsink and also your problem is not just your mythical controller you blindly accouse of every problem with your ssd but also temperature of your nands could be crucial like in my case.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yes I understand that, but I can see that you have problem with written text... its common these days, sadly. I'll recap it for you, ok ? Maybe it will be easier for you.
I have read many of them, also on competitor webs. Usually tested on open bench or in full tower, with most common capacities like 1TB or 512GB, where only problem with temperature is your mythical controller.
dgianstefani said that ist pointless to cool them, I said its not pointless and it depends on circumstances.
When you have biggest capacities with 2TB OR 4TB, usually are double sided. Thast your first problem. If you are using mini itx board, your secod problem is your chipset and heat disipated to back of your new 400e ssd. Your third problem is your gpu with 300w+ near your nvme.
As you can see you can have environment in your case, which is not easy on your ssd without heatsink and also your problem is not just your mythical controller you blindly accouse of every problem with your ssd but also temperature of your nands could be crucial like in my case.
Dude, take a chill pill...

And no, I don't have a problem with text. FYI I have worked as a tech journalist for more than a decade and worked in the tech industry for my entire life, where I among other things, have helped design hardware products, but yeah, I'm the clueless one here.

That you have built a system that can't cool your components, is on you and no-one else. In fact, if claim your NAND is hitting 75 degrees C, then you've already voided your warranties, as you're operating your hardware outside of spec. This vapour chamber isn't likely to solve your problem.

I still believe you got a heatsink issue, as the heatsink is most likely not making good contact with the controller. I bought a Patriot Viper VPN100 SSD a couple of years ago and the pre-applied heatsink didn't make contact with the SSD controller and I saw exactly the kind of behaviour you're describing. Got it RMA:ed and the new SSD, where the heatsink is installed properly, haven't missed a beat.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) Grado
Keyboard custom
Dude, take a chill pill...

And no, I don't have a problem with text. FYI I have worked as a tech journalist for more than a decade and worked in the tech industry for my entire life, where I among other things, have helped design hardware products, but yeah, I'm the clueless one here.

That you have built a system that can't cool your components, is on you and no-one else. In fact, if claim your NAND is hitting 75 degrees C, then you've already voided your warranties, as you're operating your hardware outside of spec. This vapour chamber isn't likely to solve your problem.

I still believe you got a heatsink issue, as the heatsink is most likely not making good contact with the controller. I bought a Patriot Viper VPN100 SSD a couple of years ago and the pre-applied heatsink didn't make contact with the SSD controller and I saw exactly the kind of behaviour you're describing. Got it RMA:ed and the new SSD, where the heatsink is installed properly, haven't missed a beat.
:D over again your mythical controller... I think, this discussion has one problem and that's your stubbornness, you are really not able to listen... Maybe you have been bad journalist, maybe somebody like you designed that motherboard or SSD with flaws that I had to fix. Nobody knows. But its properly cooled system with 8 fans and nvme cooler on both sides. I had problem only until I properly cooled just your mythical controller from one side. That's reason I said that these double sided coolers for ssd have place in today's market.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
:D over again your mythical controller... I think, this discussion has one problem and that's your stubbornness, you are really not able to listen... Maybe you have been bad journalist, maybe somebody like you designed that motherboard or SSD with flaws that I had to fix. Nobody knows. But its properly cooled system with 8 fans and nvme cooler on both sides. I had problem only until I properly cooled just your mythical controller from one side. That's reason I said that these double sided coolers for ssd have place in today's market.
You clearly don't understand the first thing about integrated circuits, so it's no point trying to explain.
Also, name calling isn't cool, especially when you have no idea who you're calling names.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) Grado
Keyboard custom
You clearly don't understand the first thing about integrated circuits, so it's no point trying to explain.
Also, name calling isn't cool, especially when you have no idea who you're calling names.
jesus christ .... doesn't matter who you are or who you were. I said, I had problem with NAND temperature, I measured it with a thermal couple and you are talking whole time about your controller nonsense. You really are so dumb? Just don't start with integrated circuit, you are not able to accept facts I said to you and you are trying this? Please do not continue this discussion.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
jesus christ .... doesn't matter who you are or who you were. I said, I had problem with NAND temperature, I measured it with a thermal couple and you are talking whole time about your controller nonsense. You really are so dumb? Just don't start with integrated circuit, you are not able to accept facts I said to you and you are trying this? Please do not continue this discussion.
Again with the name calling.

If you understood how an SSD worked, you'd also understand that the heat from the controller is spread out through the heatsink, onto the the NAND.
The NAND doesn't get hot during normal write operations, hence why most older SSDs never had heatsinks. Heatsinks were only added once the controllers ended up getting faster and running hotter.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
The controllers dont, thermal throttling is an issue with almost every NVME drive out there

I dont want drives that rely on external cooling, but it seems that's the way things are
I've yet to see any memory chip handle extreme heat and not fail internally, see this often on rtx and mined gpus.

I laughed when m.2 came about, great more thermal build up on a motherboard around pcie ports. Rather just have a card plug straight into a pcie port at that rate.

It's why I would like to see SATA get faster as @lexluthermiester would.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) Grado
Keyboard custom
Again with the name calling.

If you understood how an SSD worked, you'd also understand that the heat from the controller is spread out through the heatsink, onto the the NAND.
The NAND doesn't get hot during normal write operations, hence why most older SSDs never had heatsinks. Heatsinks were only added once the controllers ended up getting faster and running hotter.
I know you have your fable about controllers, but if you are cooling your controller enough with heatsink and fan and at the same time you have problem with nand temperature which is definitely partialy hot from controller heat spread to pcb (not heatsink, as I said, you have problem with understanding, I'm talking whole time about double sided NVME with problematic memory chip between NVME pcb and motherboard not about front side ) and then to the nand flip chip on the other side of NVME, you have to cool that memory chip directly. Your controller is just one source of heat, another is nand alone, gpu, chipset, your cpu....And whole time you are talking about controller cooling which is cooled... you are lost man really lost.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I know you have your fable about controllers, but if you are cooling your controller enough with heatsink and fan and at the same time you have problem with nand temperature which is definitely partialy hot from controller heat spread to pcb (not heatsink, as I said, you have problem with understanding, I'm talking whole time about double sided NVME with problematic memory chip between NVME pcb and motherboard not about front side ) and then to the nand flip chip on the other side of NVME, you have to cool that memory chip directly. Your controller is just one source of heat, another is nand alone, gpu, chipset, your cpu....And whole time you are talking about controller cooling which is cooled... you are lost man really lost.
Seriously dude, the main source for heat on an SSD is the controller. NAND doesn't really get hot. How hard is that to understand?
PCB materials are terrible for heat transfer, the heatsink would do a much better job at spreading the heat from the controller to the NAND chips, due to the design of M.2 drives.
Go and look at some older M.2 drives, none of them had heatsinks and it wasn't an issue, as the controllers weren't running hot. Just like DRAM doesn't need heatsinks, NAND doesn't need heatsinks.

The rest of the heat in the case shouldn't even be an issue, if you got proper cooling in your system.

Controller can underclock, can throttle itself but not NANDs, they hard crash as countermeasure against overheating. This temperature is usually 75 degrees C. Sad thing is that you are not able to see this temperature in software.
This is entirely dependent on the design of the SSD itself. There is no built in logic to shut off at 75c on all NAND chips.
Some SSD's like Samsung 980 Pro series (and PM9A1 OEM version that i use) have very accurate thermal sensors on both the controller and NAND.

Also if your SSD does not have temperature sensors on NAND how do you know that NAND even reached 75c?
Did you manually attach thermal couple to it?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Nice did they actually add a temp sensor on this item ?
They don't on their memory sticks so kudos team group if they did it would be past time.

lilwirebrushdude

Bro a tech professional is telling you that you are wrong. I can confirm that he is right also, any Google search will in fact do that as well. Take a chill pill and walk away.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) Grado
Keyboard custom
Seriously dude, the main source for heat on an SSD is the controller. NAND doesn't really get hot. How hard is that to understand?
PCB materials are terrible for heat transfer, the heatsink would do a much better job at spreading the heat from the controller to the NAND chips, due to the design of M.2 drives.
Go and look at some older M.2 drives, none of them had heatsinks and it wasn't an issue, as the controllers weren't running hot. Just like DRAM doesn't need heatsinks, NAND doesn't need heatsinks.

The rest of the heat in the case shouldn't even be an issue, if you got proper cooling in your system.
Looks like improper cooling to you ?

"The rest of the heat in the case shouldn't even be an issue, if you got proper cooling in your system."
- maybe in your dreams.. we are talking about 3w thing near 350w gpu, 170w cpu and 15w chipset, that definitely matters

As I said 214214 times, I had problem with temperature of backside NAND chips of NVME which is "sitting" on chipset. BTW that chipset consumes 5 times more than your controller on SSD and in this case is more problematic from heat radiation point of view as your controller...

Bro a tech professional is telling you that you are wrong. I can confirm that he is right also, any Google search will in fact do that as well. Take a chill pill and walk away.
I know him, he worked for TPU, but he is wrong, that's the reason we are clashing here.

This is entirely dependent on the design of the SSD itself. There is no built in logic to shut off at 75c on all NAND chips.
Some SSD's like Samsung 980 Pro series (and PM9A1 OEM version that i use) have very accurate thermal sensors on both the controller and NAND.

Also if your SSD does not have temperature sensors on NAND how do you know that NAND even reached 75c?
yes

Attachments

• IMG_2728.jpg
    IMG_2728.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I've yet to see any memory chip handle extreme heat and not fail internally, see this often on rtx and mined gpus.

I laughed when m.2 came about, great more thermal build up on a motherboard around pcie ports. Rather just have a card plug straight into a pcie port at that rate.

It's why I would like to see SATA get faster as @lexluthermiester would.
And with very good reasons. SATA4@24Gbps/36Gbps would be very doable. 12Gbps or even 18Gbps can be done on the existing connector. Those speed would be excellent for OS drives.

Objectively, my understanding is the main heat source is always the controller, not so much the NAND chips. They heat up, but should be manageable. The controller being the "CPU" of the SSD will heat up substantially, and just by cooling the controller sufficiently, the SSD should not throttle nor overheat. The NAND chips appear to heat up a lot only because of heat that gets transferred from the controller because of the small PCB and sometimes due to the heatsink that is saturated with heat and generally not actively cooled. I am not sure if this is a good comparison, but if you consider RAM chips that read and write significantly faster than any NAND now, yet they can still operate with a thin heatspread or even without any heatspread.

Last edited: