• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Team Group Successfully Develops Consumer-Grade DDR5 Memory, Begins Validation

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Team Group, a global leader in computer memory, has rapidly responded to market demand changes during the crucial transition period of next-generation DRAM technology. By integrating the newest technologies to promote its development of DDR5 memory, it has outpaced competitions and developed the first engineering sample of consumer-grade DDR5 memory. With this success, it will welcome the new DDR5 generation with consumers worldwide.

Presently, Team Group is working hard at producing its first batch of DDR5 memory with the tentative specifications of 16 GB, 4800 MHz, and 1.1 V for a single module. The company is cooperating with major motherboard manufacturers, such as ASUS, MSI, ASRock, and GIGABYTE, providing memory and working together with their R&D divisions to perform validation tests. Through the collaboration of R&D teams, Team Group was able to accelerate the development of its DDR5 memory by adjusting the initial parameters. The successful completion of the validation phase will confirm that the frequencies of standard DDR5 products surpass those of overclocked DDR4 products, and will represent another big step forward in the evolution of computer memory.

It is expected that consumers will not need to enter BIOS to enable the overclocking function as the DDR5 generation begins. After installing DDR5 memory, consumers can directly boot up their computers and experience the high performance without the overclocking step of DDR4. The powerful advantages of faster DDR5 will be instantly demonstrated and consumers will be able to effortlessly enjoy the extreme speed brought by the new generation.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
It is expected that consumers will not need to enter BIOS to enable the overclocking function as the DDR5 generation begins. After installing DDR5 memory, consumers can directly boot up their computers and experience the high performance without the overclocking step of DDR4. The powerful advantages of faster DDR5 will be instantly demonstrated and consumers will be able to effortlessly enjoy the extreme speed brought by the new generation.

How long does this process take? Does this mean we can expect a new batch of motherboards in 2021 while keeping the AM4 socket?

System Name MonsterPC
Processor AMD X7950X3D
Motherboard MSI MEG E670X ACE
Cooling Corsair Cappelix H150i
Memory 128GB DDR5 @5600
Video Card(s) AMD RX7900XTX
Storage 120TB HDD + 3x 2TB SSD RAID, External - 390 TB Various HDD drives
Display(s) C49RG90
Case BIG Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI 4 + SteelSeries Arctis Pro USB
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse SteelSeries Rival710
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software W10 x64
It is expected that consumers will not need to enter BIOS to enable the overclocking function as the DDR5 generation begins. After installing DDR5 memory, consumers can directly boot up their computers and experience the high performance without the overclocking step of DDR4.
Translated from marketing speech to "normal" -- overclocking of this memory manually will be either hard or disabled and it will only set itself to the profile / settings it was set to work with.
Say bye bye to cheap memory that overclocks well beyond the official specs... e.g. some cheapo Ballistix 3000 @ 3800...

But hey! It just works! Now pay up!

OREo

How long does this process take? Does this mean we can expect a new batch of motherboards in 2021 while keeping the AM4 socket?
AM4 support should be over by the end of 2020 which means that we are probably not gonna see AM4 motherboards with ddr5 support

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Translated from marketing speech to "normal" -- overclocking of this memory manually will be either hard or disabled and it will only set itself to the profile / settings it was set to work with.
Say bye bye to cheap memory that overclocks well beyond the official specs... e.g. some cheapo Ballistix 3000 @ 3800...
Not really.
That first batch of DDR5 is going to start at a memory bandwidth spec of very high-end DDR4. There are very few DDR4 modules you can buy that are 4800MT/s.
You do pay for that with increased latency but it wouldn't be marketing if they told you the downsides :)

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Not really.
That first batch of DDR5 is going to start at a memory bandwidth spec of very high-end DDR4. There are very few DDR4 modules you can buy that are 4800MT/s.
You do pay for that with increased latency but it wouldn't be marketing if they told you the downsides :)

This is why I prefer low latency with mid-range clocks. 3200 @ 12-12-13 is perfect for my needs. The even funnier part- I am only hitting this RAM with 1.325V right now and its still 100% stable.

Processor Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard B550M Steel Legend
Cooling XPX (custom loop)
Memory 32GB 3200MHz cl16
Video Card(s) 3080 with Bykski block (custom loop)
Storage 980 Pro
Case Fractal 804
Power Supply Focus Plus Gold 750FX
Mouse G603
Keyboard G610 brown
Software yes, lots!
Wow, "succesfuly developed" meaning they managed to solder chips they bought onto a pcb, thats quite an achievement!

System Name MonsterPC
Processor AMD X7950X3D
Memory 128GB DDR5 @5600
Display(s) C49RG90
Case BIG Tower
VR HMD Valve Index
Software W10 x64
Not really.

I think you are missing my point here.... Obviously DDR5 will be faster,have higher latencies and lower voltage and error correction... But what I am trying to say is -- there is a high chance the the memory overclocking/tuning days will be gone....
No more "buy cheap memory and overclock it cause you can and cause the modules & die can handle it perfectly fine".
E.g you have bought DDR5 4800 and it will basically be that till their death. No more OC to e.g. 5200 with slight adjustment of timings etc....
Even if the modules could handle more there simply won't be a way to OC them... it will be locked or something like this...

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
I think you are missing my point here.... Obviously DDR5 will be faster,have higher latencies and lower voltage and error correction... But what I am trying to say is -- there is a high chance the the memory overclocking/tuning days will be gone....
No more "buy cheap memory and overclock it cause you can and cause the modules & die can handle it perfectly fine".
E.g you have bought DDR5 4800 and it will basically be that till their death. No more OC to e.g. 5200 with slight adjustment of timings etc....
Even if the modules could handle more there simply won't be a way to OC them... it will be locked or something like this...
Where are you getting this from? In the press release-y blurb there is nothing hinting at that.

But hey! It just works! Now pay up!

Or it just means extended memory profile settings are gone for good and there won't be long lists of inconsistencies between platforms that support a single memory standard like there are with DDR4. You're spreading a lot of FUD based on assumptions from a single line of a press release from an OEM.

not many know, but DDR5 and consumer platforms was slated for 2015 release... thankfully, it looks like its finally coming. Once released, I'll bid farewell to my very old, very stable DDR3 Dell workstation. :)

System Name MonsterPC
Processor AMD X7950X3D
Memory 128GB DDR5 @5600
Display(s) C49RG90
Case BIG Tower
VR HMD Valve Index
Software W10 x64
Or it just means extended memory profile settings are gone for good and there won't be long lists of inconsistencies between platforms that support a single memory standard like there are with DDR4. You're spreading a lot of FUD based on assumptions from a single line of a press release from an OEM.
They are moving the voltage regulator to DDR5 Modules, which will definitely make them more expensive as they are now. There will be ECC in those modules (which is something positive and will have a great impact on the instabilities some users might experience due to badly tuned memory profiles), however I believe (and again --- this is also my personal opinion) this will also prevent overclocking, not sure however to which degree.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
They are moving the voltage regulator to DDR5 Modules, which will definitely make them more expensive as they are now. There will be ECC in those modules (which is something positive and will have a great impact on the instabilities some users might experience due to badly tuned memory profiles), however I believe (and again --- this is also my personal opinion) this will also prevent overclocking, not sure however to which degree.

If they are moving the voltage regulator to the DDR module they are willing to take a big risk in possibly killing CPU's if their module fries the termination points on the CPU. Considering it could be plugged into whatever nm process CPU which has weaker circuits I doubt they will take that risk, or the first generation will have fuses built into them to prevent accidental CPU death.

I hope it will be more of you can overclock and the memory can and will vary its clock rate for power savings or performance much like GDDR has been capable of for awhile now, and ECC that won't stop a bad overclock but will slow the system or prevent it from working at all if pushed too far, and memory training routines could be implemented at startup.

System Name MonsterPC
Processor AMD X7950X3D
Memory 128GB DDR5 @5600
Display(s) C49RG90
Case BIG Tower
VR HMD Valve Index
Software W10 x64
If they are moving the voltage regulator to the DDR module they are willing to take a big risk in possibly killing CPU's if their module fries the termination points on the CPU. Considering it could be plugged into whatever nm process CPU which has weaker circuits I doubt they will take that risk, or the first generation will have fuses built into them to prevent accidental CPU death.

I hope it will be more of you can overclock and the memory can and will vary its clock rate for power savings or performance much like GDDR has been capable of for awhile now, and ECC that won't stop a bad overclock but will slow the system or prevent it from working at all if pushed too far, and memory training routines could be implemented at startup.

Memory training routines have been implemented at least since ZEN-Era.... Or do you mean additional routines?
And I do hope that memory could scale with the load thus introducing power saving modes in idle etc., but this could lead to additional problems like with the GPU I don't want to think about atm in high hopes they (JEDEC and others) already solved it :)