• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp is Hiring Motherboard and Memory Reviewers

On the side...gotten an email a few days ago that the company has put about 20% of their office space on the market. More to come is suspected. Human Capital (HR) sees that as a futrher cost-cutting reduction of lunch and meeting facilities, cubicles, IT, utility overhead costs and employee parking. Some HR executive may even get a big bonus this year for all the fine work he has done, while my buddy once full time is now permanently a casual WFH employee.
My industry also see WFH employee productivity slightly increased (other than those new teams, new teams productivity suffers massively in WFH situation), some HR guys already starting to have funny idea about reclassifying. However, company is making loads more money due to the pandemic, and the C suite seems to be interested in expanding with existing employee instead of hiring more due to the ''new team WFH'' disaster.

System Name Main Machine
Processor Intel i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex
Cooling Water cooling, 2x EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm EK, Mora 360 Pro, EK-Quantum Velocity 2
Memory G.SKILL 32GB DDR5-7200, 7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 7900 XTX Aqua
Storage 2x WD_BLACK SN850X 1TB und 2TB, 2x8TB Seagate Ironwolf
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27WQ 27inch 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Cooler Master COSMOS C700P
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Elite Pro Tournament + Elite Pro TAC
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 1600W Titanium
Mouse Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Win 11
We also welcome relevant special articles that are not on any timeline, like with Yuri and his AMD OC articles.
It would be really interesting if @buildzoid would write special articles some time to time on TPU. :cool:
I have to say I learned many things by watching his youtube channel.

Lately I have been watching his series of videos on Ocig 6900XT Red Devil Ultimate. Really interesting as I myself also own this card but mine doesn't clock that high at all. The memory is total crap on mine and don't Oc at all. :oops:

I have to say wow to the length Buildzoid goes to squeeze the last MHz out of that GPU. :rockout:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

I've been overclocking DRAM ever since I was a child. I will never forget my first PC with Athlon XP 2100+ and 256 MB of DDR. I was so exited when I bought another stick of the same RAM.
Those were the days :p
And man, those voltages were high, but my A7V8X from ASUS held on. :)

I remember my first PC. Had a intel p166, with 8mb of ram, cost me £50 at the time for another 8mb stick to make it 16mb, which my mate said was insane.

I wonder if @1usmus is availabe and willing to take the job?

My industry also see WFH employee productivity slightly increased (other than those new teams, new teams productivity suffers massively in WFH situation), some HR guys already starting to have funny idea about reclassifying. However, company is making loads more money due to the pandemic, and the C suite seems to be interested in expanding with existing employee instead of hiring more due to the ''new team WFH'' disaster.
With us productivity increased dramatically! Guys are practically living in front of a computer and now they cut the commute, lunch breaks.

Also, tons of facility costs are no longer needed when 90% of FTE are WFH. Nobody is pooping on company grounds anymore. :D

Of course, there are the occasional slackers but it's manageable for now.

I remember my first PC. Had a intel p166, with 8mb of ram, cost me £50 at the time for another 8mb stick to make it 16mb, which my mate said was insane.
For some of us PC were booting from magnetic tape... ;)

D

Deleted member 211755

Oh my God! That sure was exiting! How old are you? I wish I had something like that laying around now :)

Ever wonder what happens RMA DDR memory.. Yes they are sometimes returned back or sold on with mixed chips without most if not all users not knowing. Anyone doubt what I'm saying, I have the evidence here from big manufactures, with the memory modules not tampered with, so yes, some brand new memory modules were sold with mixed ram chip. I only know they were doing this in the pass, so I don't know if they are still doing it today with modern DDR4. I have detected this in DDR1 memory modules only, but I'm fairly confident this was going on in DDR2 & DDR3.

If requested I can upload a photo, but it will name & shame a few big company's. AFAIK I have caught up-to three company's with mixed ram chips under the hood, ie heatsink.
Feel free to post as many pics as possible, ideally with CC0 licensing

Applied!
Given the email I used it might have hit your spam filter, so if you don't see it, check your spam/junk folder or reach out to me.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Did you read the job ad? Hardware will be provided as needed. But before that, you need to learn to use apostrophes.

.aHh I need to be abLe to write my casual forum posts at essay quality" I will say thnaks but no thanks then,

I adjusted things around on this post to make you even happier.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
.aHh I need to be abLe to write my casual forum posts at essay quality" I will say thnaks but no thanks then,

I adjusted things around on this post to make you even happier.
No, but it helps if you're going to apply for a job that involves writing copy to a certain standard.
I think you just got turned down for the job regardless, so good on you.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
No, but it helps if you're going to apply for a job that involves writing copy to a certain standard.
I think you just got turned down for the job regardless, so good on you.
Just for the record, if your writing skills suck, but your tech skills are guru level, then that might make up for the lack in language skills.

Got some great candidates so far, around 30 total atm, will wait a few more days before taking a closer look

Just for the record, if your writing skills suck, but your tech skills are guru level, then that might make up for the lack in language skills.

Got some great candidates so far, around 30 total atm, will wait a few more days before taking a closer look
I was always shocked how many people write articles without language-proofing tools.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I was always shocked how many people write articles without language-proofing tools.
Yeah, you see that daily these days, no matter the language. Also no such thing as sub-editors any more, as they're apparently just considered a cost.
First is all that matters.

D

Deleted member 24505

I love #TPU even though i am naughty sometimes, but i just don't think i have the required skills to do this. Best bit would be have W1zzard as a boss :rockout:

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
To whomever gets the job I wish them luck. :)

I'm not going for it because I don't have the tech-knowledge to do it.
While it may be true I can make RAM and other things clock, that takes time to figure out and that's what I do with the sets I have personally but I don't have the tech-knowledge to cover any and all possible types of DDR in any meaningful way.
There are different IC's used in different kits made by all the different manufacturers and each behaves in different ways between the various chip architectures and sockets of what's made by both, AMD and Intel.

I do have the language skills but that's all I have going for me and clearly that alone is just not enough to do it.

Well yeh, but it would help if you sent out acknowledgements, lest those of us with email addresses that often get trapped by errant spam filters might just start sending out second applications from a different, less-used account ;)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
that often get trapped by errant spam filters
I do check my spam folder, nothing is lost on our mail server setup, unless you get an explicit response that your message couldn't be delivered.

System Name Main/Editing System
Processor R7 5800X
Motherboard MSI B550 MPG Gaming Carbon
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz @ 3900MHz 15-18-17-16-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 3080 Ti 12GB iGame Advanced OC-V
Storage Patriot VPN100 1TB, Patriot VP4100 1TB, Samsung QVO 860 1TB, 2x WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Case BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX
Power Supply Kolink Continuum 850W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G102
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2
Software Windows 10
When should we expect the final decision approximately?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Not before next week
Take your time, W1zz. The whole community will benefit from a good reviewer with good tech and writing skills.
Welp, I for one even can even live with Chinglish or Russian-English (apologies, not meant to sound derogative) if the tech part is as objective and in-depth as possible.

May the best reviewer wins.

seems that my old article on fake ddr3 got a lot more interest than expected, almost 100 page views, wow

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
This would be an amazing opportunity but sadly I don't feel I'm great with something called English and although I have more hardware than I can shake a stick at, I wouldn't wish to let people down with reviews not being good enough and the rest of it...

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC

I got no idea if Swede is part of your setup, which is what put me off applying as he was judgemental based on a forum post, I would like to think of those applicants you have, you look at their application quality rather than any forum posts.

Good luck to everyone who has applied, and I think its good this is a public application process.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I got no idea if Swede is part of your setup, which is what put me off applying as he was judgemental based on a forum post, I would like to think of those applicants you have, you look at their application quality rather than any forum posts.

Good luck to everyone who has applied, and I think its good this is a public application process.
I'm not part of team TPU.

I didn't mean to put you off applying, but if you're considering a job as a writer, you should at least try to write properly in the thread about the job.
Just like you make sure there are no spelling mistakes in your CV.