• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[TechSpot] Researchers develop a system to keep the brain alive independent of body

Space Lynx

Astronaut

A team of researchers at UT Southwestern Medical Center tested the device on the brain of a pig that was anesthetized with ketamine and other chemicals. It kept the animal's brain activity and health at normal levels over a five-hour period. While this obviously isn't going to enable a Futurama-like ability to keep human heads alive in jars, the researchers said it could lead to ways of studying the brain without it being influenced by other bodily functions.

After reading the above paragraph I decided I am ok with this research from an ethical standpoint, imagine it lads and lassies, Space Lynx on interstellar missions in his robot body and Steam Deck OLED 4, released in the year 2030. Life isn't bad when you are traveling to goldilocks zone planets with a top of the line Steam Deck in offline mode and a nuclear fusion battery and robot body. I might actually be able to finish my Steam backlog before I land... :roll:

I hope the aliens are cool. If I come across a planet of cave men types, I promise, I will be a good overseer to them, and my first order will be to have them build me a pyramid, just for the lulz of future historians bewilderment.

You came for the news, stayed for the short story. :love:

Last edited:
System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Plot twist... the procedure likely increases the chances of epilepsy so either live a short good life with the steam deck or centuries without video gaming. What would you choose?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Plot twist... the procedure likely increases the chances of epilepsy so either live a short good life with the steam deck or centuries without video gaming. What would you choose?

well as the researchers say, this only lasts 5 hours. its only the beginning of something great.

I for one look forward to my robot body, cause my scoliosis gives me daily headaches.