• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The 10 year plan computer

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/@950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
At least your motherboard supports much better CPUs, throwing a 13600 or a 14600 in there, even a 14700 would give you a massive improvement in CPU power. Your PSU is a little weak though.
Yeah it is, it was a replacement unit after my 650W Cooler Master MWE died on me and since it wasd during the Covid lockdowns I barely had options to pick from. 'my retailer offered my money back and let me pick a new PSU instead of waiting for the very long RMA process at the time'
On the CPU side of things my mobo is safe up to a 13400-500 on the VRM side of things or a 12600k at stock clocks which is actually cheaper than the other 2 for some reason. '14th gen is kind of pointless imo and its even more expensive here'

Wear it with pride, OC the shit out of i3's and laugh at everyone else!
Yeah that would be funny but I can't do that with my mobo.:oops:
Tbh when we had the first 'leaked' rumours about the 14 th gen i3 being a 6+6 core/thread CPU I was like okay thats my next CPU then and stick with an i3 but sadly that turned out to be wrong.

But yea that be my last post here since this does not help the OP.:)

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
my cpu is entering 6 years soon and my gpu is entering 4 years...
i can only think of 3 titles my pc cant max out cyberpunk 2077, witcher 3 with rt and alan wake 2...
i think my cpu should be fine for another 4 years... and the gpu im looking at dropping the settings to medium or low if its really demanding...
for 2025 games onward...

if you want a 10 year pc from 2024... i'd get a 12th gen intel at least or 7000 series amd platform... but you might require upgrades along the way..

The 3090 released in September of 2020 so you are still half a year from 4 years in terms of the GPU. It's a bit of a different comparison as well. You bought the highest end products available at the time (Your GPU was $1,500 minimum), OP isn't even buying current gen except for his GPU, let alone top end.

RAM - 2 x 8gb 3200 speed Silicaon Power DDR4 which works nice and stable on XMP2 with CAS 16 so pretty typical Samsung module memory really. This may stay or may get upgraded to 32gb.

As others have pointed out 32GB would be ideal for a 10 year period. We are currently in the slow transition to 32GB as mainstream, which makes sense given how long 16GB reined.

CPU - Currently a `free` i5 10400F cpu. Its a temporary cpu as I plan to aquire either an i7 11700 or i9 11900 sometime later this year which is pretty much the most powerful cpu i can use on this sytem.

The problem with the 11900k and 11700k is that they are 66.2% 64.8% as fast as the 14900K in games and half performance in applications.

1711374831148.png

A Ryzen 7600 can be had for a lower price and is 21% faster in games. That's very significant. As a plus that means you'd be on AM5, which gives you access to multiple generations of future upgrades.

Graphics - Currently has a humble GTX 970, In the long term I want to buy an ASrock Steel Legend 7900 GRE as from a performance point of view I think this would work out well and from an asthetics point of view I think it would look real nice with the Steel Legend motherboard. I may swap out the 970 for something like a RTX 3070 temporarily until I can afford the 7900.

The 7900 GRE is good value although for a longer term build I'd probably recommend getting the best value card on the market. Specifically the 6800 XT, 6800, 7600, and 6600. The latter two won't last as long while the former two will but have a higher upfront cost. All of those lead their respective brackets value wise. The cost of these cards is approximately half that of the GRE or less for the lower two. You can save the extra money and upgrade again at the same tier in the future. Upgrading from best value to best value is the play.

What PSU should I get? needs to be reasonably priced but also decent reliability and capable of powering the cpu and gpu.

Anything with a good review that you can find cheap. Used is a good option, just make sure you put whatever you get through it's paces.

Should I opt for the i9 (currently priced around £200) or the i7 (currently priced around £160)? Would I see that much gains with i9?

The i9 is not worth the extra.

Should I go witht he Samsung 980 storage? or would a cheaper alternative fit the bill? The mechanical drives I have fit in the removable drive bays and are ok for some of the indie games I have but not the latest games id like to play.

No, samsung drives are overpriced. Pretty much any M.2 drive is going to be indentical performance wise to the average end user. Just get whatever is the best value for the storage space you need. I'd also recommend avoiding QLC based , especially on drives lower than 1TB.

Would I benefit from faster RAM?

On an Intel platform? No, not with the tier of components you are buying. Intel has low memory latency to begin with.

Graphics. BIG question! Should I invest in something better than the 970 now, something like a 3070 maybe? (currently available with warranty for £270) or hold off till I can raise the £530 for the steel legend version of 7900 GRE?

You should invest in whatever brings you the most value (aka what I listed above). The 3070 is probably one of the worst GPUs you could invest in. 8GB of VRAM was not enough when that card launched, let alone in 10 years.

In what order should I make these purchases?

I'd order them all at once. PC parts typically devalue over time so by having parts sitting around you are likely loosing money and potentially missing out on sales. Things like the pandemic are exceptions to this rule but exceedingly rare (thankfully, I cannot take being couped all that much).

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
The 3090 released in September of 2020 so you are still half a year from 4 years in terms of the GPU. It's a bit of a different comparison as well. You bought the highest end products available at the time (Your GPU was $1,500 minimum), OP isn't even buying current gen except for his GPU, let alone top end.

As others have pointed out 32GB would be ideal for a 10 year period. We are currently in the slow transition to 32GB as mainstream, which makes sense given how long 16GB reined.

The problem with the 11900k and 11700k is that they are 66.2% 64.8% as fast as the 14900K in games and half performance in applications.

View attachment 340591

A Ryzen 7600 can be had for a lower price and is 21% faster in games. That's very significant. As a plus that means you'd be on AM5, which gives you access to multiple generations of future upgrades.

The 7900 GRE is good value although for a longer term build I'd probably recommend getting the best value card on the market. Specifically the 6800 XT, 6800, 7600, and 6600. The latter two won't last as long while the former two will but have a higher upfront cost. All of those lead their respective brackets value wise. The cost of these cards is approximately half that of the GRE or less for the lower two. You can save the extra money and upgrade again at the same tier in the future. Upgrading from best value to best value is the play.

Anything with a good review that you can find cheap. Used is a good option, just make sure you put whatever you get through it's paces.

The i9 is not worth the extra.

No, samsung drives are overpriced. Pretty much any M.2 drive is going to be indentical performance wise to the average end user. Just get whatever is the best value for the storage space you need. I'd also recommend avoiding QLC based , especially on drives lower than 1TB.

On an Intel platform? No, not with the tier of components you are buying. Intel has low memory latency to begin with.

You should invest in whatever brings you the most value (aka what I listed above). The 3070 is probably one of the worst GPUs you could invest in. 8GB of VRAM was not enough when that card launched, let alone in 10 years.

I'd order them all at once. PC parts typically devalue over time so by having parts sitting around you are likely loosing money and potentially missing out on sales. Things like the pandemic are exceptions to this rule but exceedingly rare (thankfully, I cannot take being couped all that much).
Frankly I'd avoid buying a six core CPU, regardless of how cheap it is, for a 10 year build.

The Intel competition offers 14 and 20 core alternatives for the same price range as the 7600 and the 7700X, when motherboard costs are taken into account. Besides, the Intel P cores are faster than the Zen 4 cores in ST testing, and more efficient (with the exception of X3D, as they are essentially undervolted Zen 4, the non-K Intel chips are needed to compare against this). They use more power overall because there are significantly more cores. And fast RAM benefits everything, not just averages, his min FPS will go up regardless of what GPU he's using, especially as the CPU ages and more strain is placed upon it. It's a common misconception that Intel doesn't need fast RAM (Ryzen does, as the IF is linked to RAM speed), but the reality is that FPS scaling continues well into the 8000 MT+ range, and you don't need a 4090 to measure this, because as I said, it affects min FPS too (avoiding stuttering is important for immersive gameplay, so focusing builds on improving min FPS is smart).

10% improvement in FPS from 400 MT of RAM speed in a CPU limited scenario (no point testing GPU limited scenarios if you're trying to determine the effect of RAM on CPU performance).

1711377071010.png

efficiency-singlethread.png

Last edited:

I personally find gaming pcs working best with going budget or strictly highend. Budget is usually value and cheap to the point of it calculating in the long run to replace it more often. What keeps you up to date with new features and especially safe from technological obsolescence. The thing is, you need to keep your expectations low and you just don't get "Far Cry moments". On the other hand are highend pcs - whatever your expectations, such will fulfill them for longer, but what is here more important, for all of this time will handle anything better. The only risk is the most painful here obsolescence. I personally don't like midrange when e.g. two ~70 cards usually cost more than previous highend when secound ~70 even isn't even better. Or I would prefer six years with highend card than getting next ~70 after four. The same with i5 needing few gens and maybe new mobo to compete with old i9. In the long run swapping mid-range too often may lead to costing highend, but giving worse effect.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
I personally find gaming pcs working best with going budget or strictly highend. Budget is usually value and cheap to the point of it calculating in the long run to replace it more often. What keeps you up to date with new features and especially safe from technological obsolescence. The thing is, you need to keep your expectations low and you just don't get "Far Cry moments". On the other hand are highend pcs - whatever your expectations, such will fulfill them for longer, but what is here more important, for all of this time will handle anything better. The only risk is the most painful here obsolescence. I personally don't like midrange when e.g. two ~70 cards usually cost more than previous highend when secound ~70 even isn't even better. Or I would prefer six years with highend card than getting next ~70 after four. The same with i5 needing few gens and maybe new mobo to compete with old i9. In the long run swapping mid-range too often may lead to costing highend, but giving worse effect.
Yup, falling into the cheap trap often leaves you spending more money over time, while simultaneously getting a worse experience for the entire duration.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Frankly I'd avoid buying a six core CPU, regardless of how cheap it is, for a 10 year build.

The Intel competition offers 14 and 20 core alternatives for the same price range as the 7600 and the 7700X, when motherboard costs are taken into account.

You can find B class AM5 motherboards for $110 nowadays. At the same price as the Ryzen 7600 you are only able to get the 6p 4e 14400F. E cores in general might as well not even exist unless you are doing heavily threaded work that specifically calls for them. Otherwise they are a detriment to games if a thread even end up on them.

The point of going AM5 is that you don't need to have the CPU last for 10 years. Neither the Intel nor AMD option will be performant in 10 years but on AM5 that doesn't matter because you are provided a ton of upgradability options with minimal effort. The same does not apply if you go with the Intel platform.

Besides, the Intel P cores are faster than the Zen 4 cores in ST testing, and more efficient (with the exception of X3D, as they are essentially undervolted Zen 4, the non-K Intel chips are needed to compare against this). They use more power overall because there are significantly more cores.

:roll:

No, Intel still uses more power in mixed workloads and games that only use a limited amount of cores. The issue for Intel is two-fold 1) they push their CPUs too much out of the box 2) There architecture is not as efficient. if you look at the scaling graphs between Zen 4 and Intel 14th gen, Zen 4 hits much closer to stock performance at lower wattage values. Intel's power consumption can be decent when properly tuned but to say they are more efficient than Zen is laughable.

Every thread you keep trying to use the same cherry picked narrative as if people can't read the reviews. First you keep implying as if ST is the only metric available and then you cherry pick the most efficient Intel chips from among them and imply that they represent the whole, which to say the least is completely misleading. X3D chips are efficient because of the cache, not because they are UV'd. X3D chips are even more efficient if you actually UV them. Non-X3D chips are pushed out of the box for max performance, hence why you can limit TDP with nearly zero impact to performance.

And yes Intel has a slight advantage when it comes to ST performance for it's top tier processors but that does not apply down the entire stack. You seem to be implying that OP will somehow benefit from the fact that the 14900K has slightly higher ST performance when in fact a much lower clocked and cached 14400F or older Intel processor has zero to do with that. It's not relevant to the discussion, just like how focusing on ST performance is silly when applications are not single threaded anymore, hence why few review outlets focus on mixed and full workloads both synthetic and real. We can all see the charts showing both Intel and AMD trading blows depending on the benchmark, the situation is far more nuaced then you are pretending.

And fast RAM benefits everything, not just averages, his min FPS will go up regardless of what GPU he's using, especially as the CPU ages and more strain is placed upon it. It's a common misconception that Intel doesn't need fast RAM (Ryzen does, as the IF is linked to RAM speed), but the reality is that FPS scaling continues well into the 8000 MT+ range, and you don't need a 4090 to measure this, because as I said, it affects min FPS too (avoiding stuttering is important for immersive gameplay, so focusing builds on improving min FPS is smart).

10% improvement in FPS from 400 MT of RAM speed in a CPU limited scenario (no point testing GPU limited scenarios if you're trying to determine the effect of RAM on CPU performance).

View attachment 340599

This is another great example of cherry picking and ignoring the scenario presented in this thread. First off OP is not using a 4090 with a 13900K. Not even close. The differences presented in this chart will be much smaller to non-existent on lower end hardware.

Second, the graph provided is using low graphics settings at 1080p which is intended to minimize GPU bottlenecks and not represent a realistic scenario. How many people playing BG3 at low 1080p with a 4090 and 13900K? Excluding reviewers almost no one.

Third, depending on when this chart was made and in what area of the game, it likely doesn't represent current game performance nor average game performance. Given that it's 1080p low settings I'm going to assume they also picked the most CPU demanding part of the game (the city, Baldur's gate), which had stuttering regardless of memory or CPU used until after many patches.

Yup, falling into the cheap trap often leaves you spending more money over time, while simultaneously getting a worse experience for the entire duration.

Someone who upgraded from a 1600 to a 5600X3D would see a massive performance uplift for less than they would have spent on a single 9900K.

Buying good value parts more frequently is far better than spending big on a single product.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.5 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
One thing for certain, in 2034 my phone will do some things WAY better than anyone's "ideal" 10-year-plan computer built in 2024.

It's always amusing to see contemporary threads like "Which notebook PC should I buy for my college-bound kid? They need to do A, B, C & some 4K video editing" (the latter being the task that requires the most resources).

And then someone points out that people have been shooting and editing 4K video on their phones since 2015.

A lot of people whose brains seem to be full of PC specs simply can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to the broad consumer electronics marketplace. They asked these kind of questions back in 2014 and will probably ask the same questions again in 2034.

:):p:D

Another thing that's pretty certain is that 2034 display technology will be way better than what is on the market today. Will today's best discrete graphics cards be able to drive those new displays and harness all of the latest capabilities? What do you think?

Or will you be ruefully frowning at a 1440p 144Hz PC monitor with pixels seemingly the size of basketballs while you sneak wistful glances at your smartphone's far superior display?

I had a faithful Dell 1080p monitor that lasted thirteen years. It finally died and when I replaced it I realized I really should have moved on five years earlier -- again because my smartphone display blew doors on what I was staring at on the desktop.

Remember that it's not just resolution and refresh rates. There are quality improvements with backlighting, colorspace, color depth, response times, et cetera ad nauseam.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
You can find B class AM5 motherboards for $110 nowadays. At the same price as the Ryzen 7600 you are only able to get the 6p 4e 14400F. E cores in general might as well not even exist unless you are doing heavily threaded work that specifically calls for them. Otherwise they are a detriment to games if a thread even end up on them.

The point of going AM5 is that you don't need to have the CPU last for 10 years. Neither the Intel nor AMD option will be performant in 10 years but on AM5 that doesn't matter because you are provided a ton of upgradability options with minimal effort. The same does not apply if you go with the Intel platform.

:roll:

No, Intel still uses more power in mixed workloads and games that only use a limited amount of cores. The issue for Intel is two-fold 1) they push their CPUs too much out of the box 2) There architecture is not as efficient. if you look at the scaling graphs between Zen 4 and Intel 14th gen, Zen 4 hits much closer to stock performance at lower wattage values. Intel's power consumption can be decent when properly tuned but to say they are more efficient than Zen is laughable.

Every thread you keep trying to use the same cherry picked narrative as if people can't read the reviews. First you keep implying as if ST is the only metric available and then you cherry pick the most efficient Intel chips from among them and imply that they represent the whole, which to say the least is completely misleading. X3D chips are efficient because of the cache, not because they are UV'd. X3D chips are even more efficient if you actually UV them. Non-X3D chips are pushed out of the box for max performance, hence why you can limit TDP with nearly zero impact to performance.

And yes Intel has a slight advantage when it comes to ST performance for it's top tier processors but that does not apply down the entire stack. You seem to be implying that OP will somehow benefit from the fact that the 14900K has slightly higher ST performance when in fact a much lower clocked and cached 14400F or older Intel processor has zero to do with that. It's not relevant to the discussion, just like how focusing on ST performance is silly when applications are not single threaded anymore, hence why few review outlets focus on mixed and full workloads both synthetic and real. We can all see the charts showing both Intel and AMD trading blows depending on the benchmark, the situation is far more nuaced then you are pretending.

This is another great example of cherry picking and ignoring the scenario presented in this thread. First off OP is not using a 4090 with a 13900K. Not even close. The differences presented in this chart will be much smaller to non-existent on lower end hardware.

Second, the graph provided is using low graphics settings at 1080p which is intended to minimize GPU bottlenecks and not represent a realistic scenario. How many people playing BG3 at low 1080p with a 4090 and 13900K? Excluding reviewers almost no one.

Third, depending on when this chart was made and in what area of the game, it likely doesn't represent current game performance nor average game performance. Given that it's 1080p low settings I'm going to assume they also picked the most CPU demanding part of the game (the city, Baldur's gate), which had stuttering regardless of memory or CPU used until after many patches.

Someone who upgraded from a 1600 to a 5600X3D would see a massive performance uplift for less than they would have spent on a single 9900K.

Buying good value parts more frequently is far better than spending big on a single product.
Where to begin.

Someone who used a 1600 would have had to use that Zen 1 crap for six years, before spending more money on another six core that is slightly faster (5%) in single core, and slightly slower (10%) in multi core than a stock 9900K. With the 5600X3D being around ~20-30% faster in games due to the 3DVCache (but only for the six months since it's been released, not the previous six years, assuming you even managed to buy one of these exclusive CPUs). Or, they could have just bought the 9900 K and still be enjoying that good performance now, as they were from day one.

You can go on about the "future proof" AM5 socket, with its rocky launch and EXPO issues, but we're only guaranteed ~one more year of CPU support (2025). Besides, I think the CPU upgradability of the motherboard is pretty much irrelevant for someone desiring a platform upgrade every ten years.

If you want to complain about Intel K series using 100-150 W (with more than twice the cores, and a 4090, so the CPU is full throttle) compared to 50-100 W during gaming (for Zen 4 X3D, which start at about 25% more $ than the Intel cpus being suggested here, and are "cherry picked" examples of Zen 4 efficiency, with the non X3D chips being much less efficient). A non K 14700, that isn't pushed to the limits out of the box, and is comparable in its voltage curve to the K series in the same way the X3D Zen CPUs are to the X Zen chips. I.e. Much more efficient out of the box for the sake of around 500 MHz max boost. But the reality is if 50 W is so important to you, then you might as well discount the entire RDNA3 lineup when compared against the more efficient Ada cards, but I've never seen you do that.

You're welcome to take whatever conclusion you want from reviews, but please don't misquote me or try to imply all core synthetic load on a power limit unlocked KS CPU somehow means a non KS chip will be inefficient in gaming.

If you can't infer how improved minimum fps is relevant in a cpu limited scenario (100 FPS is well within capabilities of a 4070 class card), regardless of the GPU being used, then I suggest you do some research on what it means to be CPU bottlenecked. For example, you can be cpu bottlenecked in a game like the recently released Dragons Dogma II even with a 3060 class card, as people are finding out. Or in games like Cyberpunk, or simulation games. The list goes on. Implying you need a 4090 to notice improved CPU performance is disingenuous and you know it.

As for e cores, they're not for gaming. That's the point. You get your entire eight P cores for gaming and foreground tasks. The e cores are for everything else. Every test done for cyberpunk by both TPU and other reviewers has seen worse FPS when disabling e cores (and that's with nothing running in the background, try running discord, browsers, etc).

End of the day, if OP takes the advice and starts from scratch rather than going with an almost four year old platform, he's gonna be better off for the next ten years with 14, or 20 cores, not six.

(I don't count A620 motherboards as being worth the silicon they're made of, so yes, AM5 motherboards are still more expensive than Intel ones, especially DDR4 Intel boards.).

It's also worth mentioning that TPU testing comparing Zen 4 and Raptor Lake CPUs does so with both platforms using 6000 MT memory, as that's all the AM5 platform can realistically support without going out of sync and getting worse gaming performance. As we've seen from the 6400-6800MT jump I showed earlier, I think it's safe to conclude that Intel at 7000 MT is a fair bit faster in gaming than Intel at 6000 MT.

Last edited:
Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Another prediction is that this "10-year-plan" build will feel increasingly slow next to whatever smartphone is in your pocket because of I/O bandwidth constraints in the desktop PC.

And if there's a significant shift by software publishers to harness AI/machine learning silicon (which has already started on mobile five years ago), the desktop PC will fall even farther behind on what will eventually be considered ordinary daily tasks.

I'm already seeing this on the desktop with image and video upscaling tools that are basically worthless on my Radeon RX 580 (purchased new for $180 in fall 2020) but run acceptably on a B-stock EVGA RTX 3060 (purchased for $250 last year 2023).

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Another prediction is that this "10-year-plan" build will feel increasingly slow next to whatever smartphone is in your pocket because of I/O bandwidth constraints in the desktop PC.

And if there's a significant shift by software publishers to harness AI/machine learning silicon (which has already started on mobile five years ago), the desktop PC will fall even farther behind on what will eventually be considered ordinary daily tasks.

I'm already seeing this on the desktop with image and video upscaling tools that are basically worthless on my Radeon RX 580 (purchased new for $180 in fall 2020) but run acceptably on a B-stock EVGA RTX 3060 (purchased for $250 last year 2023).
True, but most of that can be done on the GPU, especially RTX cards.

The NPU included in the CPUs are more relevant to systems without discrete GPUs, like laptops, phones and office PCs.

Case Apple proprietary
True, but most of that can be done on the GPU, especially RTX cards.
Yes and no.

Remember that Nvidia has consistently introduced a new machine learning feature with almost every new GPU generation that isn't supported on older architectures. RT, DLSS 2, DLSS 3 Frame Generation, and now DLSS Ray Reconstruction.

I will bet a buffalo nickel that within the next ten years, Nvidia will introduce Yet Another ML Technology that won't run on an RTX 4090. Sure, the 4090 will run Cyberpunk 2077 "forever" but has the OP stopped buying videogames?

Heck, this may come as early as this fall with Blackwell-based consumer graphics cards.

And at some point, someone will create some sort of ML workload that will bring the 4090 to its knees. It certainly will not take ten years.

And your stance assumes that there will not be any more differentiated silicon in the next decade. That's a very peculiar assumption to make, maybe even myopic.

Again this is a classic example of not seeing the forest for the trees.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Yes and no.

Remember that Nvidia has consistently introduced a new machine learning feature with almost every new GPU generation that isn't supported on older architectures. RT, DLSS 2, DLSS 3 Frame Generation, and now DLSS Ray Reconstruction.

I will bet a buffalo nickel that within the next ten years, Nvidia will introduce Yet Another ML Technology that won't run on an RTX 4090. Sure, the 4090 will run Cyberpunk 2077 "forever" but has the OP stopped buying videogames?

Heck, this may come as early as this fall with Blackwell-based consumer graphics cards.

And at some point, someone will create some sort of ML workload that will bring the 4090 to its knees. It certainly will not take ten years.

Again this is a classic example of not seeing the forest for the trees.
This goes for CPUs too, things become outdated regardless of the part.

The point I'm making is current GPUs have significantly more AI performance than any of the current CPUs out there.

The upscaling component of DLSS, plus all the other RTX features besides frame generation can be used on all RTX cards, even the latest features such as RTX video super resolution are all usable on first gen RTX cards, as long as they have tensor cores.

Ray reconstruction can be used on any RTX card, it's just the older ones aren't really fast enough to use path tracing.

I'm not sure what your argument is exactly. Yes, modern AI models will struggle to run on ten year old hardware. That's normal.

Last edited:
Case Apple proprietary
This goes for CPUs too, things become outdated regardless of the part.

The point I'm making is current GPUs have significantly more AI performance than any of the current CPUs out there.
True, throwing out Apple Silicon SoCs which is fine from the stance of an x64-based build.

But my point is that a 10-year-build has a very high chance of feeling mighty archaic in 2034. Why plan a 10-year build if your smartphone is going to make it look behind the times in four years and geriatric in seven?

Hell, the graphics on a wimpy Nintendo Switch 3 (circa 2032) might be more impressive than whatever thousands of dollars he's budgeting for his "10-year-plan" build.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
True, throwing out Apple Silicon SoCs which is fine from the stance of an x64-based build.

But my point is that a 10-year-build has a very good chance of feeling mighty archaic in 2034. Why plan a 10-year build if your smartphone is going to make it look behind the times in four years and geriatric in seven?
All that's up to OP. I don't see why he couldn't decide to throw in a new GPU five years from now though. Having a better platform than 11th gen Intel would be nice at that point.

Case Apple proprietary
All that's up to OP. I don't see why he couldn't decide to throw in a new GPU five years from now though. Having a better platform than 11th gen Intel would be nice at that point.
So much will be I/O bandwidth restricted regardless.

His motherboard won't get PCIe 6.0 from a software patch, that's for sure, lol.

:p

Maybe videogame graphics won't saturate a PCIe 6.0 connection (they don't with 4.0) but there will likely be other usage cases where something faster than PCIe 4.0 comes into play.

Of course it's his call. It's his money and his satisfaction.

I'm just saying that in 2034 he may be thinking "I should have upgraded five years ago" even if he doesn't utter those words in some online Q&A forum. Again I will reiterate that a lot of people whose heads are stuffed with specs don't see the forest for the trees.

The technology industry will find something new that isn't going to run well on today's finest hardware. And it won't take very long. Trust me.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
So much will be I/O bandwidth restricted regardless.

His motherboard won't get PCIe 6.0 from a software patch, that's for sure, lol.

:p

Maybe videogame graphics won't saturate a PCIe 6.0 connection (they don't with 4.0) but there will likely be other usage cases where something faster than PCIe 4.0 comes into play.

Of course it's his call. It's his money and his satisfaction.

I'm just saying that in 2034 he may be thinking "I should have upgraded five years ago" even if he doesn't utter those words in some online Q&A forum.
True. But then a 4090 gains about 3% performance moving from gen three to gen four, so I would hope gen four/five would last a good while. Most of that PCI advancement is happening for server side hardware. Even gen five SSDs barely make sense.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Those two have the same core count, unlike newer counterparts. Go for the cheaper, even the 10700K is just as good.
View attachment 340616

...and equally "obsolete" today, let alone 10 years from now. Particularly noteworthy being games preferring even old Comet Lake (which is Skylake++++'s tail end) over Rocket (early version of modern P-cores)

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Yeah rocket lake is best forgotten, wasn't even meant to be on the node it was manufactured in, last minute backport.

Comet Lake with 10 monolithic cores on a ring bus was literally better.

SL2

...and equally "obsolete" today,
Depends on GPU I'd say.
Particularly noteworthy being games preferring even old Comet Lake (which is Skylake++++'s tail end) over Rocket (early version of modern P-cores)
You're right, but there's no point splitting hairs over 1.1%, just go for the cheapest and don't be fooled by the model number.

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
Having had a 11700 myself, i would not want to be using that cpu in 5 years, let alone 10 years. And 11900 is only marginally faster.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 512+512+1+2+2+2+2+6+500+256+4+4+4
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
AI is the new thing that will have hardware and software main support, from Win11 moment 5/6 or Win12, right ?

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
AI is the new thing that will have hardware and software main support, from Win11 moment 5/6 or Win12, right ?
AI already has support in Win 10. Only real difference with 11/12 is more integration with the core OS. AI "enhanced" search etc.

SL2

Alder Lake would be a much better start, even if a cheaper model.

I thought 10 % between 11900K and 12900K wasn't that bad, but then I saw this..

Overclocked 12100F (4 core, $110 launch price) and stock 11900K (8 core, $600) within error of margin.

1711396375230.png

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Alder Lake would be a much better start, even if a cheaper model.

This is insane, I thought 10 % between 11900K and 12900K wasn't that bad, but then I saw this..

Overclocked 12100F (4 core, $110 launch price) and stock 11900K (8 core, $600) within error of margin.

View attachment 340619
Yup. Throwing money at 10/11th gen makes pretty much zero sense rather than building a newer system.