• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial The COVID-19 Pandemic, or Why Chaos Isn't a Pit... It's a Ladder

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
I had to take that sentence from Game of Thrones' Little Finger (if you recognized it, kudos to you), since I believe it to be mostly true, given we have the right mindset about that which surrounds us. While the pandemic will always be a mainly bleak point in humanity's history, and everyday there are reports of people being their worst selves through these difficult times, there is also always opportunity for growth affixed to any great crisis. It falls upon us, our institutions, and on companies, to see really what we can learn from situations such as these.

For one, we've seen, beyond any possible ideological beliefs we may have, that the Internet is a utility, not a commodity. Its capability to bridge the gaps in geography - and in social connection - is just too important in our globalized society to be considered anything other than a fundamental right. Discussions on this point have been ongoing for a while, and debates surrounding things like the net neutrality have already given birth to rivers of both actual and digital ink. However, it is this writer's opinion that the discussion is moot, and nothing more than a speedbump until we achieve the final, inescapable truth that the Internet is a crucial part of the world's infrastructure, and not only that - of what it means to be human in our modern world.

The pandemic is an opportunity for our institutions to learn and harden; to understand exactly what kind of responses are required, and how hard the measures have to be to contain a threat to our modern society. While some lessons won't be carried forward, I believe that many of them will, and they will be there for us should we actually need to resort to a similar response to a future crisis. This global health crisis could be an opportunity for citizens to look to their healthcare system and understand whether or not that is the type of system they want to support and to be under the umbrella of.

The pandemic is an opportunity for the world to hit a reset button for a while when it comes to the scale of pollution and resource depletion we've subjected it. Resource and ecosystem recovery from our continued pressure will take years to materialize - and won't do so at the expense of this relative blip of a pandemic. But other, more volatile signs, such as pollution, have shown tremendous improvement due to the reduced need for traffic, as governments and businesses around the world adopt teleworking as a measure to keep operating, at some level, whilst protecting their employees. Just take a look at the pollution maps on the East Coast of the United States and China: there is no scale other than the colorimetric one, but that does show us something, doesn't it? Teleworking could be the evolution that actually impacts pollution levels the most - nevermind the mainstream availability of electric cars.

Teleworking also gives us - but especially businesses - an opportunity to abandon the need for micromanaging their employees. It has been shown, time and again, that micromanagement strategies don't work in the office. In fact, a study led by the Stanford University found some surprising trends (to skeptics) in teleworking compared to traditional work. Telecommuters were found to work the equivalent to "a full day of work", and sometimes even more. People actually worked true full shifts (they didn't arrive late or leave early, and found it less distracting to work from home). Additionally (and incredibly), employee attrition decreased by 50 percent among the telecommuters, they took shorter breaks, had fewer sick days, and took less time off.

Think about it. This means that employees were actually more productive in a teleworking environment than in the usual work environment. And it makes sense to all but the most short-minded people. No need to wake up early to drive, walk or otherwise commute a daily nightmare through traffic or public transportation, clogging the roads with polluting cars or other means of transportation. Less hours required in commuting means more hours virtually available for work. Less hours commuting also means more time at home, with their families. More meals at home, more time at home, means that people can actually learn to live as a family again, sharing meals and spending more time together than they have until now. Lesser stress levels, an increased chance for family interaction, higher productivity, lesser pollution levels, and reduced company costs in actually renting or buying floor space for their offices. What is there not to like?

The pandemic is also an opportunity for the world of tech, as strange as it may seem: it's an opportunity for improving and investing in the infrastructure of the World Wide Web. As usage patterns change and the load in the optical information highways connecting the world increases, businesses (from ISPs to data center providers) have had to increase their infrastructure investment or have adopted consumer-friendly policies, such as reducing data caps- Should the internet be any less flexible (let's say, like the healthcare or public transportation), the usage strain increase would have thrown us back into the dark ages. Instead, we saw an increase in volume of data (especially in the video category, which is responsible for some 50% to 60% of the overall Internet bandwidth usage).

According to Vodafone, the pandemic has changed our usage habits: traffic in Spain and Italy, for example, two of the most heavily-affected countries in Europe, saw increases in the order of 50%, with peak hours also changing - from the back-from-work 6pm - 8pm to a lunch-time 12pm. Providers of streaming services reduced the quality of their transmissions to allow the internet highway to work seamlessly, accommodating increased usage from video-conferencing apps and overall communication increase amongst both people and businesses. In the last few weeks, some services saw usage ratios equivalent to that of an entire year of data flowing through their servers - and despite some outages here and there, the Internet held strong. But new investments are being made, building up the Internet as an organ capable of digesting even the more voluminous assaults on its integrity - and in the end, it will rise up stronger than ever before.

If chaos isn't a ladder, it could at least be viewed as an opportunity. And this pandemic is an opportunity for all of the above, but also for us to practice being a community, being humanity. This means not taking more than we actually need; it means taking this extra time for ourselves to look into our lives and into ourselves as humans, into our position in life and our position with our loved ones. It means we now have a rare moment of peace and quiet where we can actually hear our own thoughts, instead of the usual, unbreakable rhythm of the modern society, always craving more of our attention, more of our time, more of ourselves - assaulting us with social media, neon-like ads, traffic noises, office tensions, and a myriad other elements that all fight for our energy.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Just one small problem with this article.

While we have certainly cleaned up the environment,
it is pretty clear that climate change and global warming
are un-affected by 6 weeks of near total shutdown.

AND most important the 90% shutdown of stratospheric
transport systems, has not affected CC.

So What? It means that Climate Change has much less
to do with humans and much more to do with something
else. We better figure out what that is, because the argument
that we have any control over climate change, is in doubt.
AND, THAT would be a really big problem!

I am not a sports fan. I'm not intro crowds, or parties, or socializing in general. I can't concentrate when I'm in large, loud crowds, amongst lots of people. When I go shopping I try to avoid places where there are tons and tons of people, making a lot of unnecessary noises. I have been struggling with grocery shopping this year, even before all of the issues with coronovirus, because people were receiving their income tax refund checks, and the few stores in my area were constantly packed with people and families spending their checks. This was back in early February. That traffic from tax refunds never really died down, in my area, and then there was a quick and abrupt transition into coronovirus panic and regulation.

I had a part-time job where a large part of my responsibility was cleaning, so I had hand sanitizer and a few other things already, but I walked into my local store a few weeks ago to buy some cleaning wipes and it was like a hurricane had hit the store shelves and there was nothing left behind. I went home that day and did the cleaning I had planned to do, mostly with supplies that I was lucky enough to have purchased and put away weeks earlier.

I love movies. Going to the theater is a big part of my life. I can't do that now because all of the theaters are shut down. My birthday is coming up and my tradition on my birthday is going out to see the latest movie at the theater. That's been a habit of mine for years. I can't do that this year. The movie I would have seen has been pushed back from May until November.

I go into my local store now to get my favorite food, which is a chicken wrap, and the store that usually has that item, and makes it daily, now isn't bothering to make it, along with a ton of other items, due to the coronovirus. I am a person with a lot of habits and traditions, so something like that makes me insane. I'm literally not going to be the same person again until I am able to go see a movie, at the theater, and eat a chicken wrap, prepared just like the chicken wrap that I normally eat, every week.

I don't love sports and I don't go out to sporting events, but the lack of sporting events is driving me crazy, because it effects everyone in my area that is crazy for sports and can't live without them. They are restless and unfulfilled and aimless, and that is upsetting my peace of mind and making me stir crazy, because I'm sympathetic to all the team sports fans that are going without team sports right now.

The internet is making this time bearable for a lot of us and I thank God for the internet. I have to imagine what this would all be like without the internet, without Netflix, without Zoom, without online gaming, and it scares me. A lot of us don't have proper internet, that's very true, or only have limited access to the internet, at limited times and places, such as local libraries, which are ALL closed right now, due to the coronovirus.

There are a ton of people right now that are attending online school and online classes because that is just the safest and most common sense option right now. The ONLY option for a lot of people. There are people able to safely work from home right now, without having to go in to the office, maybe at all, due to the internet. Due to these people being able to work from home, that is cutting down on the spread of the coronovirus, and also enabling those people to be able to watch over their children, whose schools have been shut down, in many cases, due to the virus.

I hope some of these government officials are actually paying attention and noticing just how important the internet and internet access is, and how crucial it has been the last few weeks. I hope someone is paying attention and seeing that the internet is crucial and important, for EVERYONE. It's not a joke, it's an important and necessary resource that should not be controlled by just one or two huge companies, for profit. It's an important resource that should be made available to everyone, in as many places as possible, not just at select restaurants and stores, here and there, when management feels like it, or at exorbitant, out of control, monthly prices that can go up or down at the whim of some CEO of CFO. The internet needs to be readily and easily accessible, whenever we need it, or want it. It's a resource and potentially a lifeline, especially at a time like this when so many of us are cut off and devoid of human contact.

What is the crime rate now, with a lot of us being able to go online and release stress and contact friends and relatives, and how bad would things be if there wasn't an internet right now to lean on and try to lose ourselves in?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Worldwide discussion, this, and for all the positive thoughts I have in many similar ways... reality always is a bitch and we will devolve at least part of these good intentions into the same crap we always have.

The biggest thing that should come out of this is more regulated and cooperative global and/or national healthcare systems, sharing of knowledge (big Pharma really needs a kick in the balls yesterday, just seize all that IP today) and for some Western societies perhaps momentum towards things like a Base income. No more silly welfare systems, just give everyone base standards of living. It will first and foremost prevent the shit we saw with this pandemic, where money really does have a big influence on your chances of survival. Its unfair, unjust, and it needs a solution, because it goes straight against our baseline of equal opportunity for all.

The bigger elephant in the room is capitalism that has completely gone out of control. The division of wealth is the prime example, result and cause.

An even bigger elephant though is China, because they are and will keep dictating world markets, with US leadership dissolving faster than we can blink and an EU that is stuck in multilateral discussion... (even if some of that is necessary..)

The other stuff... climate, working from home... yeah. Bandaids and/or of very low relevance, even if some things might actually change in that. Working from home is already pushing itself forward, it doesn't need help really.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

No one, and I mean no one thought that was going to happen instantly. The science never said that. It will be years before we see the changes from this, if we do (we'll probably just go back to normal and barely make a net dent).

Either way, that was way not the point of this editorial.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Either way, that was way not the point of this editorial.

Which is why it should be about the efficacy of the global web and only the web.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
No one, and I mean no one thought that was going to happen instantly. The science never said that. It will be years before we see the changes from this, if we do (we'll probably just go back to normal and barely make a net dent)
I doubt things will return to normal ( as you put it). The lessons learned and the hassles for corporations and small buisnesses to work from home and the ability to work from home have changed the thought process and potentially changed how some companies will/can do business. I think we'll see a call for better technology to make it more secure to accomplish this. While many companies have had the ability to work from home for years they refrained because it was costly and a hassle to make it happen, now, the excuses are gone.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
hassle to make it happen, now, the excuses are gone.

Its not a hassle. The services are readily available and work fine. Even when they got hit by this worldwide pandemic the outage was minimal.

Perhaps the toolset could be improved, enabling more kinds of work to be done from a distance. For example with medical stuff, like a doctor's consultation.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I'm a pessimist as of late. I hope you are right.

Sadly, Climate Change is not a thing you just make a 180° rotate with.
As many scientists said, it's already over for our generation. The question is not "If ?" but "How fast ?".

There's a huge momentum set in motion and Climate Change will take decades with real efforts to see a beginning of slowing it down.

And to be a bit...dramatic, I think we should have been hit stronger with a more deadly virus, so we can hit rock bottom and take bigger measures. Confinement is nothing compared to a real pandemic problem (see the plague which killed a third of European population).

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-120mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
While this whole situation doesn't really affect my everyday life as I'm an anti social shut in living in my own quarantine but I do hope that something 'good' will come out of this once its over or so.

ARF

The COx in the atmosphere is still there, it's spring in the Northern hemisphere which means the process of producing vast quantities of O2 hasn't started yet.
Look, if the lockdown continues till October - November, then the COx levels might actually go down.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Sadly, Climate Change is not a thing you just make a 180° rotate with.
As many scientists said, it's already over for our generation. The question is not "If ?" but "How fast ?".

Go away. My inner pessimist knows this already and you are just making him cry more.

On topic, I do appreciate a look at the positive aspects of what COVID-19 has exposed in our society, ravenlord. It's not oft looked at, and there is always a silverlining, as they say. We as technological enthusiasts should see this as an oportunity of sorts, rather than an obstacle, IMO. Or at least try to make it out that way. What more can we do?

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
If any of you think the only hurdle to working at home was the cost or technical feasibility, you're sadly mistaken, it's also about control and power. We've all had a job where even though there's literally nothing left to do, but you're still not allowed to leave for no apparent reason, right? Work has always been about regimentation and control, and this permeates throughout every facet of civilization. I don't want to get into a philosophical discussion here as I'm sure no one would even care anyway, but I'm not expressing some crackpot, tinfoil, fringe ramblings, I'm directly referencing writers and thinkers such as Herbert Marcuse (One-Dimensional Man), Guy Debord (The Society of the Spectacle), Martin Heidegger, John Zerzan (Twilight of the Machines, Why Hope?), Chellis Glendinning, etc. Got five minutes? Read "The Abolition of Work" by Bob Black, it might have you see things in a different light.

Also....am I mistaken or did that first commentor really just deny the evidence for man made climate change?

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Software Windows 10 x64
What is the crime rate now, with a lot of us being able to go online and release stress and contact friends and relatives, and how bad would things be if there wasn't an internet right now to lean on and try to lose ourselves in?

I can tell you, hands-on, that it is much lower than it was before all of this took place. Even taking into account the increases from not observing quarantine laws, and all that. This, applied to my country, obviously.

Worldwide discussion, this, and for all the positive thoughts I have in many similar ways... reality always is a bitch and we will devolve at least part of these good intentions into the same crap we always have.

The biggest thing that should come out of this is more regulated and cooperative global and/or national healthcare systems, sharing of knowledge (big Pharma really needs a kick in the balls yesterday, just seize all that IP today) and for some Western societies perhaps momentum towards things like a Base income. No more silly welfare systems, just give everyone base standards of living. It will first and foremost prevent the shit we saw with this pandemic, where money really does have a big influence on your chances of survival. Its unfair, unjust, and it needs a solution, because it goes straight against our baseline of equal opportunity for all.

The bigger elephant in the room is capitalism that has completely gone out of control. The division of wealth is the prime example, result and cause.

An even bigger elephant though is China, because they are and will keep dictating world markets, with US leadership dissolving faster than we can blink and an EU that is stuck in multilateral discussion... (even if some of that is necessary..)

The other stuff... climate, working from home... yeah. Bandaids and/or of very low relevance, even if some things might actually change in that. Working from home is already pushing itself forward, it doesn't need help really.

I agree with you in many points, though not on all. I agree with the questions regarding capitalism, and I agree on what states and institutions could achieve - and should.

I also agree that there will obviously be a certain devolution from what steps forward we can take right now. However, the point is to know and admit that some positive changes can be kept, and we should strive to keep them. And that responsibility lays not only on governments and institutions, but in us, as humans, as well.

On topic, I do appreciate a look at the positive aspects of what COVID-19 has exposed in our society, ravenlord. It's not oft looked at, and there is always a silverlining, as they say. We as technological enthusiasts should see this as an oportunity of sorts, rather than an obstacle, IMO. Or at least try to make it out that way. What more can we do?

Thank you. That really was the point.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
It appears those least affected by lock downs are those that already had limited social life or need for it.
As they say, And the meek shall inherit the Earth.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
^ Uh, maybe some people just don't care or prefer a limited social life? Maybe they suffer from mental health conditions that make having and/or maintaining any kind of social life difficult or straight up impossible? I'd hardly call them 'meek' because of that.

Of course, if that wasn't the point you were trying to make, I apologize :D

Good editorial. Just a slight technical nitpick, the pictured coast of USA for the pollution map is the East cost not the West.

I strongly condemn anyone looking at positives at this outbreak. Hundred thousands died from this. Many families left in shatters and looking for positives out of this is very inhumane.Some empathy.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I strongly condemn anyone looking at positives at this outbreak. Hundred thousands died from this. Many families left in shatters and looking for positives out of this is very inhumane.Some empathy.
It sounds like none of your clouds ever have silver linings.

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
We are governed by idiots because we base our world's social structure on popularity and not achievement, but even achievement would be a shit metric since we value it as money/power and not social benefit. This virus is not an issue, global warming is not an issue, we are the issue and our primitive way of "thinking" which is based on almost total lack of rationality.

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Software Windows 10 x64
Good editorial. Just a slight technical nitpick, the pictured coast of USA for the pollution map is the East cost not the West.

Not a slight technical nitpick, it's an entire coast that's been wronged... Thank you. Fixed. Managed to get that mixed up in my mind, so great.

It's up to you to condemn anyone you want, but I'd remind you that empathy isn't absent just because someone else chooses to focus on the less negative points of things happening.

And as someone whose grandfather was recently hospitalised, I'd remind you not to jump to conclusions about anything. Empathy, too, is knowing that your interpretation isn't reality.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
It sounds like none of your clouds ever have silver linings.

I wasn't praising the virus at all, only looking for the good that happens in the evil situation. Pretty sure the editorial was doing the same. Thanks for understanding.

wllm_faulkner

Of course it wouldn't affect CC. Because CC is long-term trends of which this period of anomaly is too brief to measure save in immediate changes (e.g. particulate air matter). Climate experts say it would have to much longer than six weeks for any significant measurements, and the reduction in global carbon emissions would have to be at 7%, not at the current 3% with world-wide lockdowns, for it to show any possible long-term effects.

Again, I repeat, there is a 97% consensus among climate scientists that CC is real, and that it's also anthropogenic.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?

Do you honestly think that a few weeks of slightly reduced emissions would offset over a century of forcibly reintroducing carbon into the system on a global scale? That's not how math works, or the world for that matter.
Also, the shutdown isn't even close to being "near total". Only a few manufacturing centers were partly shut down and personal vehicle transport is reduced - both nice things to have, but the real polluters are agriculture, power generation, oil refineries, large-scale industry and manufacturing. All of those are unaffected, because people still want to buy unnecessary crap, only now they want it delivered to their door. I work in large-scale industry, and I can assure you that, if anything, we work and pollute more, since we have agreements going several years into the future and recently some of them slightly increased in volume. Most manufacturers are already talking of increasing production in several months much above volumes from the last year to compensate for recent months. Don't you worry, we'll be back to ruining the planet in no time at all. Y'all want your cheap hardware, right?

As for the editorial in question - it's idealistic to the point of being unrealistic. It's not the black death, to this day much less people died from it globally than live in just one area of the city I live in, whih is a rather small city in a small-ish country. Even if ten times more people die, it still won't be anywhere close to the realm of causing long-term change in the society. Again, it's not the black death which killed a third of the western world and triggered the Renaissance. It's more like the financial crisis from about '08 - people who were directly affected still remember, but the vast majority long since forgotten the idealistic "capitalism must change!" nonsense. There was a commotion, millennials loudly signaled their virtue sending thoughts and prayers on Facebook (while not actually doing anything constructive), many people lost their homes and livelihoods, the society forgot as soon as the media deemed it boring and stopped reporting. The world collectively moved on, as it will in a few months.

Last edited: