• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial The COVID-19 Pandemic, or Why Chaos Isn't a Pit... It's a Ladder

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I wasn't praising the virus at all, only looking for the good that happens in the evil situation. Pretty sure the editorial was doing the same. Thanks for understanding.
I didn't quote you, my froggy friend. ;)

That's actually exactly what I was pointing out. Even for something terrible, there has to be some good to come of it, right?

I strongly condemn anyone looking at positives at this outbreak. Hundred thousands died from this. Many families left in shatters and looking for positives out of this is very inhumane.Some empathy.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Oh come on, this virus shit is pouring at us from all directions, is it really necessary to get articles about it even here?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Oh come on, this virus shit is pouring at us from all directions, is it really necessary to get articles about it even here?
The least they could do is put coronavirus in the title as that is more searched and picked up than covid-19... lol.

Again, I repeat, there is a 97% consensus among climate scientists that CC is real, and that it's also anthropogenic.

LOL... real scientists actually measure things, as opposed to make them up.
And obviously CC IS REAL... did not say otherwise...

In point of fact, a real scientist ( the kind who actually measures things ) noted
back during 9/11 that the three day grounding of air travel did in fact cause a
"measurable" and immediate cooling effect. As I noted with 90+% of air traffic
grounded, after 6+ weeks, we have what??? And for those who don't know,
air travel alone is 20% of ALL liquid fuel use. Actual oil sales are down over
30+ % world wide ( even with some "buyers" trying to boost the price by putting
it in strategic oil reserves... ) think about that one... and over a much longer
period.

Like I suggested... if anthropogenic isn't quite the big deal we thought it was...
we better find out what is, 'cuz it looks like we have near zero input in the CC
situation. AND if we have zero input... ( whether we started it or not ) we're
literally along for the ride and wasting our time discussing the matter.

Personally I hope we have at least some input.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
No way... nobody's gonna convince me that the little bit of shutdown we have going on is actually going to have a measurable effect on climate change. We've been burning fuels and pumping crap into the atmosphere for over 100 years. This doesn't even count as a dent.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

I mean it affects us.

I'd say yes.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
LOL... real scientists actually measure things, as opposed to make them up.
And obviously CC IS REAL... did not say otherwise...

In point of fact, a real scientist ( the kind who actually measures things ) noted
back during 9/11 that the three day grounding of air travel did in fact cause a
"measurable" and immediate cooling effect. As I noted with 90+% of air traffic
grounded, after 6+ weeks, we have what??? And for those who don't know,
air travel alone is 20% of ALL liquid fuel use. Actual oil sales are down over
30+ % world wide ( even with some "buyers" trying to boost the price by putting
it in strategic oil reserves... ) think about that one... and over a much longer
period.

Like I suggested... if anthropogenic isn't quite the big deal we thought it was...
we better find out what is, 'cuz it looks like we have near zero input in the CC
situation. AND if we have zero input... ( whether we started it or not ) we're
literally along for the ride and wasting our time discussing the matter.

Personally I hope we have at least some input.

You are absolutely INCORRECT about what happened in the days after 9/11 and what it demonstrated to scientists. What was discovered was that in the days after 9/11 because of ZERO air traffic, they discovered that global warming is WORSE than previously thought, because they found that the exhaust trails from the air traffic was actually BLOCKING sunlight, and without them, the average daily temperature increased. What this means is that if global air traffic WASN'T blocking a significant amount of sunlight on a daily basis, global warming would be WORSE.

Here is the article: https://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/08/07/contrails.climate/index.html

On the topic of climate change, it isn't unique to our civilization, in fact, since the first signs of domestication approximately 10,000 years ago, literally, without exception, EVERY SINGLE ITERATION OF CIVILIZATION HAS COLLAPSED AND LARGELY DUE TO, IF NOT ENTIRELY DUE TO, ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION! Only hubris and ignorance make us believe our civilization is any different. The undeniable fact is, and this is based on 10,000 years of empirical data, there has yet to be a single civilization that is environmentally and ecologically sustainable. period. Anthropology 101 teaches us that the basis of civilization is agriculture and domestication, without agriculture, surplus cannot be generated, and without surplus, you cannot have specialization and division of labor or social/economic hierarchy, both required for civilization. Basically, if there's no agriculture, there's no civilization....so then, the root of the issue is agriculture, and so far, there isn't a single example of agriculture or horticulture (including "permaculture") that has been empirically proven to be sustainable in the long run....what this means is that civiliztion, based on all the evidence we currently have, IS INHERENTLY UNSUSTAINABLE and no amount of technology has been able to overcome that.

Technology!!! Let's just be honest, technology is basically the main cause of the inevitable environmental crisis. Advanced technology inherently necessitates an unsustainable global industrial order with highly centralized hierarchy and a large, subjugated work force...there's literally no other way to create advanced technology....don't believe me, just look up the mineral Coltan and how it's basically essential to every PCB, but is extremely rare and only exists in four places on earth (One of which is Africa and has been a direct cause of resource wars)...only a highly centralized, authoritarian and hierarchical system of logistics can manage the challenges behind Coltan and the products that require it. Basically, what I'm saying is, that no matter what, there are certain inherent characteristics of advanced technology than can never be altered or changed, namely that advanced technology cannot be ecologically sustainable. However, there's an even bigger problem posed by technology, and that's the psychological phenomenon of "Techno-Optimism", which is the ignorant belief in the ability of technology to miraculously solve every problem, and nearly everyone on earth is guilty of it. I can guarantee that 99% of the people on this website, whether they want to admit it or not, truly believe that some miracle technology will be created to miraculously solve the impending environmental crisis without having to make any sacrifice, and they have a relgious-like faith in this belief despite NOT having a single shred of empirical evidence to suggest this is even possible. Sorry to break the news, but as it stands, there is literally no empirical evidence to suggest that technology can solve this problem, NOR are there any potential realistic technologies that even suggest a possibility of technology solving this crisis....and yet....nearly everyone out there has an unshakable belief in this eventually occurring. (BTW, research has shown that Americans are by far the most "techno-optimistic" people on earth.

The ONLY way this environmental crisis will be avoided is through a deep, profound, revolutionary, radical, and fundamental reassessment and questioning of every foundation of our society and civilization (and whether civilization itself can ever be sustainable, because so far, there's no evidence to suggest that it is...just consider how Homo Sapiens lived in ecological balance with nature for 98% of our time on this planet as hunter-gatherers (190,000 to 290,000 years depending on whom you ask), but in the past 10,000, we have yet to demonstrate a single instance of civilization doing the same.) If anybody thinks that we have any shot of avoiding the environmental crisis without profound sacrifice, you're sadly mistaken. You can either have your precious iPhone, or clean air, food and water, but not both., so grow up and accept it, because everyone, with respect to the environment is acting like a bunch of babies not wanting to give up their unnecessary toys do our species doesn't go extinct (don't bother responding with ad hominem personal attacks against me, as they literally do absolutely nothing to disprove any of the arguments I've made and just demonstrate that you're incapable of mounting a real counter-argument)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I would have much rather seen this in one of the three existing threads... than a tech site posting their opinion about it on the front page............

Is it any different from any other publications front page editorial?

If he had posted this in any of those threads, it would've been all : "lol! tl;dr"

I do think editorials need their own forum news category though.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Is it any different from any other publications front page editorial?

If he had posted this in any of those threads, it would've been all : "lol! tl;dr"

I do think editorials need their own forum news category though.
It isnt the site that matters. ;)

But I digress.

System Name Bang4Buck
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard MSI PRESTIGE x570 CREATION
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S36
Memory 32Gb 4400Mhz Patriot Viper Steel(Samsung B-die) @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-32-48-1T @ 1.38v
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
Storage Adata SX8200Pro 512Gb/2x Crucial P1 1Tb/Samsung 840 EVO/6Tb Raid -HGST Enterprise/2x IronWolf 8Tb/
Display(s) Samsung UE49KS8002 4K HDR TV (US - 9 series)
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black Usb-C
Audio Device(s) HDMI out to Denon X4400H reciever, 2x Dali Zensor 7, Dali Zensor Vokal, 2x Dali Zensor 1, Yamaha Sub
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech K520
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26216445
I said it before and will say it again: This whole epidemic is blown way out of proportion, most likely on purpose. Even the seasonal flu killed more people this year already, not to mention diseases that really kill the most people per year. (Like Cancer, HIV, Malaria,etc)