• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Linux Experiment...

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
I've been visiting Tweakguides.com for almost two decades. It's probably the oldest site around that I still visit on a daily basis. You might know Tweakguides because the sites owner(Koroush Ghazi) wrote all of those Tweaking Companions for Windows and used to write gaming guides up until a few years ago. I remember he wrote for nVidia for awhile as well.

I think people that know me, know I'm not going to mention something...anything unless I'm dead serious about meaning it. So here it goes...

My firm opinion is...that Koroush is an excellent tech writer and I enjoy reading his views. I've mentioned once before that TPU should have picked up this gem of a writer a long time ago. I meant it.

At any rate...

Koroush gave linux a try and wrote a nice article entitled:

The Linux Experiment

I thought it was a good read and wanted to pass it along.

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

Last edited:

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
So cute to watch a linux newb struggle to understand. He went about the winehq install completely wrong. It just takes a copy and paste of 5 lines of text from browser to term box to complete
the installation. I've done it hundreds of times in the last 2 years. Still fun to watch him actually try to go the the ftp and get the individual files... heh!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Meh, he is right in alot of regards. I run entire linux/unix server fleets with no gui. I run suse on my workstation at work. At home I use windows on my desktop and laptop, but I have a macbook too.

I'm pretty well rounded and I dont get the shock factor anymore when using an OS. even diff linux flavors generally. But while I like alot about all of the OSs;

I feel his pain with linux initial usability. It is the only OS family where you almost immediately end up in the terminal. I dont mean because were sharp and just do it out of habit.

I mean if you lookup how to do something simple a large percentage of the guides immediately tell you to drop into it.

Thats hard for alot of people. Of course an argument can be had that linux is not for or meant for all people. Maybe thats true im not certain, but he hits alot of the adoption pains on the head without necessarily saying adoption pains.

Techy? Linux probably isnt a problem. Teenager? neuroplasticity strikes again and you get used to it.

Teaching my wife how to use linux? She's a sharp cookie but thats probably not happening.

johnspack

Here For Good!
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Keyboard Ducky
I'll admit I'd agree with a lot of it too. But I spent 2 years forcing myself to learn it inside and out because I refuse to use windows 10. I just had a good enough reason I guess.
Linux is much better, it's faster, and wine is advancing so rapidly. I can game, I can run windows apps on it. Why do I ever need to run windows again? Answer: I don't.
I ran ms stuff since dos 3.1.... not many here even know what that is.

The point is, it doesn't have to be that difficult to set up a linux install. And his instructions lead you astray from that. I'd be willing to post a simple step by step guide on how to install
winehq wine in ubuntu or mint, it is really quite simple. Would take about 2 minutes to set up. Let people who know show you how, don't go by newbs who have never seen it before.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
I'll admit I'd agree with a lot of it too. But I spent 2 years forcing myself to learn it inside and out because I refuse to use windows 10. I just had a good enough reason I guess.
Linux is much better, it's faster, and wine is advancing so rapidly. I can game, I can run windows apps on it. Why do I ever need to run windows again? Answer: I don't.
I ran ms stuff since dos 3.1.... not many here even know what that is.

The point is, it doesn't have to be that difficult to set up a linux install. And his instructions lead you astray from that. I'd be willing to post a simple step by step guide on how to install
winehq wine in ubuntu or mint, it is really quite simple. Would take about 2 minutes to set up. Let people who know show you how, don't go by newbs who have never seen it before.

Thats really the point though I feel. This trancends wine. But your offer is exactly what makes it difficult.

You shouldn't need to read a tutorial to install software.

johnspack

Here For Good!
Keyboard Ducky
Let's hope winehq makes it simpler soon. I so want to see all these sheeple off windows......

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Terminal is easy enough in Linux, the problem I have is all the weird commands like grep | which makes no sense to a Windos user. I mean, shit, I started out with DOS 3.0 and I've tinkered enough with Linux to manage the basics and some, but when I have to do some really weird shit just to figure out why something isn't working, I feel like I waste a lot of time on nothing.

I also hate the fact that installing/updating drivers in Linux is such a chore. Not only do you have to compile the drivers, but you need to do a bunch of crap to just be able to do so.
These are some of the reasons why Linux will never become a mainstream consumer OS, as people simply don't have time to mess around with this crap, nor do they care how their devices work or what hardware they're running in general. They just want to get on with it and use their devices.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Let's hope winehq makes it simpler soon. I so want to see all these sheeple off windows......

Meh, I'd like to see more people use linux, but I also dont mind windows at all. Personal issues: Linux has problems, that are frustrating. OSX has a pretty easy learning curve but I seriously dislike how the security is really in your face. Terminal on OSX is fantastic for working with network equipment but I hate strangling my OS when I want to install anything not on the app store.

I dislike the test time of windows updates.

I hate how if I linux fails to remove something the software could have threw them in several different places.

Macs make removing software easy, but navigation of the OS file system I find difficult.

But I don't hate any of them. I used to. A long time ago. I remember XP I was hardcore linux a year or so before vista having used XP. I was trying all sorts of stuff. Mac OS 8 or 9? was a joke in my eyes.

I work in the field though, and recently I've grown ever more accustomed to all of them and none of them are ever going to be perfect.

From design, eco system or usability none of the 3 will ever become perfect so I just use what makes more sense.

Shit at this point the one that makes the most sense and the one I use the least is OSX. Virtualized OSX is terrible and imo anyone that says hacking OSX to run a hackintosh is just as good as the real thing is lying or an idiot. But Macs can virtualize both Windows and Linux prettly flawlessly. If I ever wanted an all in one system to do it all to switch between for tasks id go with one full time. I dont because well thats an Apple thing. I sometimes really need the extra cores or the ram or a seperate disk and there eco system makes that expensive and challenging.

All par for the course imo.

EDIT:: Mind you thats not a holier than thou play. I get it. Like I mentioned I dont use my mac unless I justify the need. Id rather do something in putty if I can slog through it than use my mac. Only if I have to do ALOT of configuration will I do it. So you know. Hate on brother.

Last edited:

johnspack

Here For Good!
Keyboard Ducky
For me, window is no longer relevant. I need multiple vms running at any time, linux uses memory resources much better. I guess games aren't really a factor for me, but the ones I
do run, run perfectly under winehq staging. Use Ubuntu, install synaptic, and you can remove software as easily as install. All through a gui if you like. Kde has it all. Start menu just
like win classic. And you can run a lot of windows apps as well. My desktop is mostly windows apps. People just don't try hard enough.