• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The necessary steps for being a good programmer.....

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I think you're still a little confused on XML and HTML.
As Aquinus stated, HTML is XML, it's just a specific subset of XML that browsers use for displaying web pages. For instance, a browser knows what to do with ..
Code:
<body>
  <p> Hello World!<br /> </p>
</body>

But would have no idea what to do with this XML.
Code:
<TPU>
  <Rocks></Rocks>
</TPU>

To say HTML "cooperates" with CSS and JS is not exactly right either. I think it's closer to say HTML "calls" CSS and JS and the browser (or server) knows what to do with them also.
The browser is basically an interpreter. It parses the page's code and displays it based on how the interpreter was written. This is where you run into compatibility issues. If the browser only supports CSS 2.0, or HTML 4.0 or whatever, then pages that use features in newer versions, like CSS 3.0 or HTML 5, will not display correctly or throw errors.
Microsoft's Internet Explorer is kind of notorious for not having full support for given standards, but they've gotten a lot better. Singling out MS is a bit unfair as their browser is not the only one that gives web coders headaches.

There are other considerations also, like what type of server is the web server? If it's IIS on a Windows server then it will run ASP.NET pages, if it's Apache on Linux then it will not (unless you use something like Mono).

So, are you still sure about web programming, Mr. Sean?
Application programming is like walking on a sunny beach, web programming is like being dragged behind a truck, over broken glass, naked. :laugh:

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
:toast: W3Schools is an excellent resource for HTML! It was built by the W3 consortium several years ago.

http://www.w3schools.com/

It includes interactive HTML programming tutorials...Well I could go on forever. :laugh:

Just jump over there and take a look. Even includes quizzes to test your knowledge after working within the separate sections.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Indeed. I usually use W3schools site when I need to do a quick syntax check on something, but I did use it a lot (in addition to my HTML books) when I was first learning.

MrSeanKon

Not everyone has a HTML 5 compatible browser.
I learned this. At Wikipedia is a link which describes this.
Also your terminology is bad.
First of all English is not my mother tongue :)
On the other hand any newbie like me is not familiar with new words. Basically I have read English books on Mathematics, Electrical Circuits and Telecommunications.
So, are you still sure about web programming, Mr. Sean?
Have you ever heard Bryan Adam's song => Everything I do, I do it for you? :clap:
To say HTML "cooperates" with CSS and JS is not exactly right either. I think it's closer to say HTML "calls" CSS and JS and the browser (or server) knows what to do with them also.
Kreij understands me easily. BTW Aquinus we can communicate!
The browser is basically an interpreter. It parses the page's code and displays it based on how the interpreter was written.
I learned this yesterday. Interpreter....
The first years of Basic programming!!!