• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

the old farts club

• Thread starter Deleted member 24505
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Have you tried another video card? Have you take out the video card and reseated it, making sure you cannot see any of the pins on the video card?

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
lol that was the problem T.. restead the video card and ths system booted up nicely.. but im having issues with raid.. i just can't seem to figure this out.. idk why.. i loaded the drivers.. set it up as a striping raid and optimal.. formatted them as bootable, installed windows from cd and when the system rebooted it gives me an error "no system disk found, please insert system disk and hit enter" it wants a floppy and wont read anything else unless I force it to by hitting escape and setting the boot order. ug. :banghead:

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
Basicly, what's happening is that XP is not finding the Master Boot Record or the ntldr file. It's either not there, or the system is not configured right to find it. Did you set up the array as bootable? In my Raid controller, I have to mark the drives as "bootable" after I create the array. You may be able to just pop in the controller and set it to bootable without having to rebuild it. Then, you need to make sure the array is the top in the boot order. For my system, I have a "Boot Priority" for each type of boot device. If I go into the Boot Priority I can set which hard drive boots first, second, third, etc, then go into the Removable drives and pick which DVD/CD, etc, then there's another one for Floppies, NICs, USB Drives, etc, etc...

I suggest you have a good read over these topics from the EVGA site:

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=57883&topicid=7

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=440&topicid=7

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=429&topicid=7

Basicly, the same thing three times, but LMK if you missed something in there.

System Name HAL
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Oh man I've bee reading for days T.. days..lol.. like im about to start pulling my hair out.. I mean I actually got my first build up and running and believe me i had plenty of isses lol.. but this here has got me right now.. I mean i did everything exactly like it said to do it.. but what are these "controllers" your talking about? the evga 680i sli has a built in controller for raid.. i dont think i need one.. but hell if i know..lol.. I set them up as an array then i hit b to make them bootable.. hit f6 and hit s.. loaded the files from the floppy and installed windows.. also I set it to "striping" and "optimal" idk if that matters. maybe if i reconfigure my boot order to go back to the hard drive or something now it will work... ug...i was up til 5 am and came to work at 8 am trying to figure this out.. i promise imr eading all i can and trying any and everything im told or see..lol.. but im not going to use one of those hack methods some people do... man I thought I had it this time..lol..

updated info: Ok got it working.. it was the dam boot sequence.. idk why but somehow it defaulted to loading the floppy 1st always... kept trying to boot the floppy drive.. reset it in bios and now it's running like clockwork.. now i need to find out whats going to happen when i upgrade to vista..lol. great, a whole new can of worms huh..lol.. well one things for sure.. my mind is very sharp right now..lol.. focused like a pin point.. :D

Last edited:

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
Awesome. The controllers are just that - sometimes there's one built into the mobo, sometimes they're separate. But it's all cool now. That's a nice rig you got there. Have fun playing with it. And LMK when you decide to go to water... ;)

System Name HAL
Awesome. The controllers are just that - sometimes there's one built into the mobo, sometimes they're separate. But it's all cool now. That's a nice rig you got there. Have fun playing with it. And LMK when you decide to go to water... ;)

Hey thanks for the compliment.. costed about $1400.00 in parts.. dell, hp and all that want like 4 grand for a system like this. it's ridiculous.. I'm so glad yall showed me how to do this, honestly in effect you saved me over 2 thousand dollars.. thats awsome.

I take it water is recommendable then huh? well if I start having cooling issues I'll go to water but these fans are very quiet and the cpu fan is immense and the little extra fan for the video card is a nice addition.. all in all it's 6 fans. I'll download cpu temp when I get home or something to monitor my info but everything feels nice and cool when i put my hand in the area even after hours of all night staying on downloading info and files and formatting and all that and I'm sure that must be strenious on the system. The hard drive temp reads 30 degrees C like always .. I just hope the mem test comes back good.. thatd mean every component i got from new egg was flawless.. i'd be impressed. :D

I'm now my own tech support, I could get use to this.. no phone calls no 30 minute wait times, no bul premade responses from automated services.. Oh yea.. i could so get use to this..lol.. It's like being freed from the chains of the computer industry..

Last edited:

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
One of the guys in my advanced hardware class has the same mobo (maybe same CPU - IDK), 8800GTX, Corsair Dominators with the fan, big ol' Zalman CPU cooler, Seagate 7200.10 SATA drives, all stuffed in a Antec 900 case. He's about the opposite of me - I've got AMD, ATI, OCZ, etc.

Anyway, with cooling, you only need what you need. If you find yourself really pushing that CPU, you'll come to a point when air cooling just won't cut it anymore. You gotta love 40% and higher OC's that have cooler temps then stock... ;)

Only reason I made the comment was because you had "might go to water" in your system specs.

System Name HAL
One of the guys in my advanced hardware class has the same mobo (maybe same CPU - IDK), 8800GTX, Corsair Dominators with the fan, big ol' Zalman CPU cooler, Seagate 7200.10 SATA drives, all stuffed in a Antec 900 case. He's about the opposite of me - I've got AMD, ATI, OCZ, etc.

Anyway, with cooling, you only need what you need. If you find yourself really pushing that CPU, you'll come to a point when air cooling just won't cut it anymore. You gotta love 40% and higher OC's that have cooler temps then stock... ;)

Only reason I made the comment was because you had "might go to water" in your system specs.

right, I bet.. i'm looking forward alot to messing with what my next computer lessons will be.. all bios now.. I know how to OC the video card np.. dealing with voltages, cpu speed, frequencies and latencies is something new to me. Really I'm confused with the whole
frequency and latency thing.. oh, and the muliplier lol..

I hear you lower the multiplier and raise the frequency (I've been doing my homework) lol.. idk what timing to shoot for really though.. idk what I'm capable of at all.. learning what systems are capable of based on their outputs is going to have to be my next lesson..:D

Oh and I figured thats why you commented..lol.. My mind is like on point right now from all this learning lol.. be lucky to see a bee's pee get by me right now..lol ( I just made that up) hehe..

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
@ t_ski,
Was just reading your specs and I am waiting on the same case,was in stock now on back order :banghead:

How do you find it for water cooling ? I have Opty 175,Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe and some water cooling parts waiting till go into it.Cant wait till it arrives.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
I hear you lower the multiplier and raise the frequency (I've been doing my homework) lol.. idk what timing to shoot for really though.. idk what I'm capable of at all.. learning what systems are capable of based on their outputs is going to have to be my next lesson..:D
I can only comment on what my OC experience has been, but for me I've only had to raise the FSB, still using the max multiplier on this chip (Opteron 170) and the last one I had (Opteron 148). But yeah, you can juggle around the FSB and the multi to make sure your memory dividers line up with what your ram can do, especially if you want certain timings on it. The higher you go, the looser the timings usually have to be. As you loosen the timings you lose bandwidth, so you have to crank the FSB back up to make up for it. i've heard of some AMD chips not liking certain memory dividors, which is why they pushed for PC4800 DDR1 ram, so the systems could do memory in sync (1:1).

Keep up on the reading, see what other users have the same mobo, chip and ram you have, find out what they can do with it and how they got there. That's the easy way to go about it. Sometimes you can skip some of the steps and go right into a decent overclock by going with what others are getting.

oily_17 said:
@ t_ski,
Was just reading your specs and I am waiting on the same case,was in stock now on back order

How do you find it for water cooling ? I have Opty 175,Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe and some water cooling parts waiting till go into it.Cant wait till it arrives.

This case is the one I reviewed for TPU a few months back. I didn't want to hack it up, and I wanted to be able to utilize the knockouts on top of the case for the rad. Immediately, I ran into trouble with compatibility. The Hardware Labs radiators won't line up. The holes for the barbs are too close together to allow the rad to sit right on top. I later noticed that the fan hole was also too close to the barb holes. So I did some research and found out that the holes on the case were far enough apart to line up with the Swiftech rad I'm using. Unfortunately, the distance from the fan to the barb holes are still off, and if I had gone with a single 120mm rad the barb holes would bee too close togeher again. Right now I have the radiator mounted outside the case with fans underneath it, then everything is supported off the top of the case with some small "feet" I made. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to hack up the top to get it the way I want it. Darn shame to do that, but I have not found a rad that will line up 100% perfect, and I want to use bigger than a single 120mm rad anyway. I've got the ideas down about how I want to do it, just need to devote the time to it.

You could run a rad off the back with a Swiftech Radbox, but if I did that it would add some substantial length to the back of the case. As it is right now, this case barely fits on the top of the desk! :D

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Storage 2x 500GB
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
You could run a rad off the back with a Swiftech Radbox, but if I did that it would add some substantial length to the back of the case. As it is right now, this case barely fits on the top of the desk! :D

Yea I have the Swiftech kit with rad box,so will probably end up with it mounted outside.
Will be my first go at water cooling so keeping it simple might be better.
Thanks for info anyway,now to email them and get a move on with my order LOL.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
Which rad are you using (120, 220, 320)? If you are using 3/8" ID tubing you should be able to use te PCI plate they give you, but 1/2" ID tubing won't fit through the PCI slots. You might be able to run the tubes up through the knock-out holes in the top of the case. You can buy some u-channel or continuous grommet and run it along the edge of the holes. Not that they are sharp or anything, just to tighten things up and make it look clean.

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Storage 2x 500GB
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
I have the 220 rad and I am using 3/8" tubing.Was thinking of going in through PCI slot and back out the top holes.
Cant wait till it arrives till get tinkering with it,and also OC'ing this Opty :)

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
With the Swiftech rads, they are supposed to work better (and purge themselves of air) if they are upright or on their side. I would suggest holes up, then run the tubes through the knocouts in back. Should work alright if you line the rad up with the bottom fan mount at the fan on the case (rad would stil up a few inches over the top of the case).

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Storage 2x 500GB
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
With the Swiftech rads, they are supposed to work better (and purge themselves of air) if they are upright or on their side. I would suggest holes up, then run the tubes through the knocouts in back. Should work alright if you line the rad up with the bottom fan mount at the fan on the case (rad would stil up a few inches over the top of the case).

I also have an Alphacool 25 external reservoir which I might use aswell.I was thinking of running tubing this way ;-
RAD >> CPU Cooler >> Reservoir >> Pump >> RAD

So I will have to play about with things to get them to fit neatly together.
Thanx for the tips :toast: Sounds like a good approach to follow,will give it a try when all arrives.
Do you have pump inside case or outside,could you use second PSU bay till fit it ?

Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i11
Memory 4x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133MHz
Video Card(s) 2x NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FEs
Storage 512GB SSD, 2x2TB HDD
Display(s) AOC U2879VF, AOC G2260VWQ6
Case Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G
YAY! I don't have to join for another 17 and a bit years!!! SK-1, I share your birthday.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
Do you have pump inside case or outside,could you use second PSU bay till fit it ?

I have the pump inside the case. It is located on the flat panel at the bottom of the main compartment (mobo & drives), inside the bay area. I have the bays filled from the top down like this:

Zalman ZM-MFC1
Lite-On DVD/RW
Lian Li PC-343B 3 X 5.25 Fan Module (takes up three bays)
Bottom two bays are free

That leaves plenty of room to run the tubing out the top of the pump and into my Storm.

Pump -> Storm -> Tyee -> Rad -> T-line -> Back to the pump

You could use the Second PSU bay to fit it if you'd like, but that complicate things a little. Bad part about having the tubing run through the top is trying to take the mobo tray out. I've got some quick-disconnect fittings I'm going to use so I can just unplug the tubing from the rad and pull the whole tray out.

Hopefully I can get some time soon (maybe spring break) to swap everything out the way I want it. I've got lots of planning to do..............

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Storage 2x 500GB
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
I've got lots of planning to do..............

Yea so have I,its in my head the way I want it,might not work out that way though!!

And hopefully when its all in it dosn't have to come out again :laugh:

Yeee haaa Northern Ireland just scored,1 - 0,(Bit off topic,watching football LOL)

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Storage 2x 500GB
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
I am happy :) :) :) Just got email from supplier and my LIAN LI PC-A10B Aluminium Mid Tower case is being shipped today.(At Last)

So soon I will be giving building my first computer a go!! Fingers crossed!!

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
Sure does. Sex is better, too ;)

System Name HAL
Lol I agree with T.. I just turned 30 on the 25th.. gotta say. it don't feel no different..lol.. but just so yas know, the computer is running like a champ.. no issues here.. installed all my games and stuff and it runs them with no lag.. age of empires 3, lol np.. supreme commander.. np.. Looks sweet too :D.. I'm taking pics soon with a good digital cam, my pops does wedding pics, has a really high end cam I'm gonna use later this week and I'll post the pics of my 1st build :eek:)..:toast: oh and I play for days sometimes lol.. like I wont sleep.. hey i work all week, i can do whatever i want on the weekends lol... but just so ya know, I have no cooling issues and I have run this thing for days on end.. I always shut down my comp when I'm not using it though so it will never run for weeks on end. I also have an air purifier in front of it to limit dust build up and kind of force more air into the front. heyas.. should I of set up raid differently? like should of set it to 64k or 16k instead of optimal?

Status
Not open for further replies.