• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The quad or dual thread.. money for money..

Deusxmachina

i think the.. "my slower mostly unused quad today will pay future dividends cos software will make it so" line of argument is totally flawed.. it is a fundermental part of the multi core scam thow..

This reminds me years ago when HDTVs started being somewhat mass-produced, and most everything I read on TV forums were people spending large amounts of money to be "future proof." I questioned many of those people at the time, and a large majority didn't even have any soon intention of buying an HD receiver to actually make use of the sets (other than watching DVDs in progressive instead of interlaced) because a cheap receiver was around $300 then, nor were all that many programs even broadcast in HD.

I mentioned that by the time most would actually make use of the HD capability of their sets, more and better ones will have been made, at cheaper prices, and the price saved then would likely be enough to buy an entire new TV 3-5 years later, and they'd still have the older one to use for whatever as well.

And that's pretty much what happened. Even worse for those buyers, LCD and plasma came about, making CRT TVs even less desirable now (despite usually having a better picture, though).

Point is, future-proofing can be great, but cost must be considered as well as function. If there's only a small difference, well, that's probably a no-brainer. Let's say a quad is $100 more, $100 isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things or in the realm of toys that we buy just because we want to, but it is 10 or even 20% of a typical system's price. When most programs can use quads AND they are mass-produced more so prices are lower, not only will CPUs be even faster then, but by that time the money saved now might be like having gotten a currently cheaper CPU for free.

Someone who is a serious multitasker with video or similar, quad is probably the way to go. But I'm talking a serious user. I have an e2140 in my HTPC. It was $70 new. OC'd to I think 2.8 right now. It can go higher, but I haven't bothered testing that stability more because it already is more than fast enough for playing 1080 HD, encoding another, and recording others at the same time. A quick quad might be faster in there, but would I even notice? Probably not. I've run it at the stock 1.6 at times just to test, and can't say I notice much difference then either unless I'm using a stopwatch on the encoding speed.

On the dual-core I'm typing this on, there are 100 files uploading and downloading, an SD video playing, a 1080 HD video playing, 50 browser windows I'm messing around in, etc, and it doesn't even break 50% CPU usage. Would I even notice if a quad was in this thing? Except in rare circumstances, probably not.

The law of diminishing returns kicks in. Is 8gb memory better than 2 or 4? Sure. Will most people notice? Nope. The problem for quads is that dual-cores are already so good.

Anyway, for 2 or 4 core, as usual, it comes down to "it depends."

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
I also opted for the dual, because i really dont see the point until games show a proper improvement (i didnt like supreme commander anyway, before anyone says it:)) yes, multitasking may be slightly better with a quad, but i dont subscribe to this whole 'you can encode video while gaming' nonsense, yes, you can, but your sata controllers working overtime, and game performance suffers as a result, regardless of how many cores you have.
The other reason i opted for an 8400 was that i already had 2 machines with dual cores (well, i did once i'd freed up my old 4400, i still have my opteron rig thats not in my specs) and on the rare occasion i want to encode video, i can do it on one of them instead, leaving my gaming rig free to use, hence i dont care how long it takes

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I also opted for the dual, because i really dont see the point until games show a proper improvement (i didnt like supreme commander anyway, before anyone says it:)) yes, multitasking may be slightly better with a quad, but i dont subscribe to this whole 'you can encode video while gaming' nonsense, yes, you can, but your sata controllers working overtime, and game performance suffers as a result, regardless of how many cores you have.
The other reason i opted for an 8400 was that i already had 2 machines with dual cores (well, i did once i'd freed up my old 4400, i still have my opteron rig thats not in my specs) and on the rare occasion i want to encode video, i can do it on one of them instead, leaving my gaming rig free to use, hence i dont care how long it takes
If you have a fast array, game performance doesn't suffer while encoding. Trust me. :D

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Grings...this is getting scary...do we read each others minds or something? lol, next thing I know you'll be ordering a Mars :p

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
one point that needs to be made i think... most of us with quads here, got them before the E8x00 series came out, in my case even before the E6850. regardless of how many cores, a 3.6GHz CPU from the core 2 line is still kicking ass today - the extra cores and cache are merely a bonus.

Value for money is constantly changing, everyone will go on about htis until the consensus is that the Q6600 just isnt worth it, and the QX9650 is too expensive... and then the cheap 45nm quads will be out, and the argument will start again.

These arguments can never be settled! each person needs to decide what performance they need (need, not want) and go from there based on current prices and CPU choices.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
Grings...this is getting scary...do we read each others minds or something? lol, next thing I know you'll be ordering a Mars :p

Well my main rig has changed somewhat recently, the infinitys back on my asus board (the msi has water:rockout:) and i went back to the geforce in this rig (i may change back to the 3870 and put a waterblock on it however, watercooling the 8800 is too much hassle)

Funny thing is though, i actually ordered a foxconn mars before i got the msi, but it went out of stock, and i couldnt be arsed to wait (aria said 6 weeks, so i got the msi), Good luck with the mars though, they are (imo) the best of the p35's

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Dual core was good because it offered much bettter multitasking. You could do things in the background and still game, or lets say a 3GHz P4 vs a 3GHz PD and no multitasking you would still get a performance increace beccause the one core would be loaded up and there was nothing there to pick up the slack, but with dual core core 1 could be maxed out and core 2 is running other things.

Right now dual core is the best. Best bang for the buck and generally best performance except in EPENISMARK.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Dual core was good because it offered much bettter multitasking. You could do things in the background and still game, or lets say a 3GHz P4 vs a 3GHz PD and no multitasking you would still get a performance increace beccause the one core would be loaded up and there was nothing there to pick up the slack, but with dual core core 1 could be maxed out and core 2 is running other things.

Right now dual core is the best. Best bang for the buck and generally best performance except in EPENISMARK.
Encoding

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
wwwwhhhhaaaaateevver,

When dual-cores came out people were saying "I could have an AMD single core at 3.0Ghz and save or a dual core X2 at 2.4 GHz and spend $100 MORE, no multithreaded games blah de blah..." I get better/same performance... I am so awesome because i have a single-core. Dual core is overkill. I still type at the same speed with my pII as you do with your Athlon 64 X2.... overkill, no need... Blah blah i still like my old hardware.

Now all those people went to dual cores and are saying the same garbage... and when HT nehalem comes out, theyre gonna say "no need for HT, not enough support, im sticking with my penryn quad at 4Ghz."

No one with a quad is saying any of this, because they know there are tons of applications that benefit. You download compressed things? you use winrar? guess what? its alot faster... When you have to decompress 6 gigs of stuff... you notice. Office, Photoshop, even some internet browsers (Maxthon 2) are fully multithreaded, Video?. And the list is growing... soon GAMES!!! faster = better.

If you just bought a $200 dual-core, you need this type of denial to convince you that you made the right investment... which is fine, have fun with your tiny, shrinking e-weewee.

Similar topics for discussion:
1. Why your inline four is better than my V6.
2. Why size doesnt matter.

Last edited:
System Name FPS Cruncher
Processor Intel Core i7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix Z690-A D4 Gaming
Cooling Kraken X73
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 DIMM CL14-14-14-34 16Gb
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus 3X 10Gb OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500G,SSD 840 EVO 500G,WD10EZRX-00L4HB0,SSD Crucial CT525MX300
Display(s) ACER Nitro VG270UP Freesync 144Hz
Case LANCOOL II MESH RGB
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX AE-5
Power Supply EVGA 750 G2
Mouse Logitech Preforance MX
Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
Software Win10 Pro 64Bit
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 P13046 =2900XT 3dmark vantage P4614 =2900XT
Hmm this been an nice reading moment :laugh: .
I allways buy the best i can afford at the moment , it depends how many numbers(£,$,€) is on my (your) account :pimp: and should buy after that.I would allways buy the best and it would not affect e-penis or the numbers system would crunch so i could brag about it.I like a system that is capable to do what ever i doing to encode, palying games or multitasking and have no (hickups). Now i have an amd x2 cpu and its not enough no more so i building a new systen with a quadcore and ill go intel this time becuse amd has nothing to match intels cpus with.I was allso thinking about get an dualcore but then again a quadcore is the future with more demanding programs and games :toast: .And a quad would allways :nutkick: dualcore :D .

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair hero viii (wifi) x570
Cooling AlphaCool Aurora 420mm
Memory Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 4133MHz 32GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 3070
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Thermaltake Core X71
Power Supply Corsair RM850 80 plus gold
Software Windows 10
All this debating and people are still gonna buy what they want regardless of what they actually need.

Small e-penis V's Big e-penis i know id rather have a big one. or is the Q6600 middle size now? :laugh:

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
one thing has been said .. duals have become that good quads are redundant.. the speed of the dual does play a part.. if u have a powerfull enough single core u dont need muticore.. it u dont have a powerfull enough single core u do need multicore..

as for winrar.. i never compress anything big but i do uncompress big things.. 6 gig files being big i think by anybodies standard.. what do i see.. i see two cores running at 15%.. i have a strong suspicion if i had four at the same speed i would see four cores running at 7%..

i download big newsgroup files.. what do i see.. not even enough cpu usage to kick speed step into action properly.. and average of 2% cpu usage in little blips..

playing a divx movie.. 3% cpu usage.. an mp3 tune.. 1% cpu usage.. i play a game i see two cores running at 50%.. i browse.. well how about 0% cpu usage with the odd little 15% spike when a new page is loaded..

multitasking has been around long before multicores arrived.. we all kinda say one decent gpu is better than two lesser ones.. how come we dont apply the same logic to multi cpus..

mind u one of my two grafix cards is switched off.. one is enough i certainly dont need four.. the bottom line is the industry needs to keep selling us new hardware simply to stay alive.. but with gpus or cpus.. the software to use em efficiently is lacking.. deliberately lacking because there is no financial gain to alter things is my guess.. the hardware sellers are in some ways caught in a trap.. to keep this multi whatever scam going they need to shut up doubters like me.. but if better software improves our existing (already overkill) hardware that works against em..

trog

ps.. and lets not forget why this entire multi thing has been foisted upon us.. not cos its better.. simply cos the buggers find it cheaper to keep selling us multiples of the same old stuff sooner than create something newer and better..

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
All this debating and people are still gonna buy what they want regardless of what they actually need.

Small e-penis V's Big e-penis i know id rather have a big one. or is the Q6600 middle size now? :laugh:

its an age thing nitro.. u will grow out of it.. he he he

but i recon the Q6600 is definitely in the mid sized penis range.. what u need is some software viagra :)

rog

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair hero viii (wifi) x570
Cooling AlphaCool Aurora 420mm
Memory Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 4133MHz 32GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 3070
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Thermaltake Core X71
Power Supply Corsair RM850 80 plus gold
Software Windows 10
its an age thing nitro.. u will grow out of it.. he he he

but i recon the Q6600 is definitely in the mid sized penis range.. what u need is some software viagra :)

rog

When? im 31 now :laugh:

Oh and middle sized is better than small were can i get my viagra?

System Name FPS Cruncher
Processor Intel Core i7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix Z690-A D4 Gaming
Cooling Kraken X73
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 DIMM CL14-14-14-34 16Gb
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus 3X 10Gb OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500G,SSD 840 EVO 500G,WD10EZRX-00L4HB0,SSD Crucial CT525MX300
Display(s) ACER Nitro VG270UP Freesync 144Hz
Case LANCOOL II MESH RGB
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX AE-5
Power Supply EVGA 750 G2
Mouse Logitech Preforance MX
Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
Software Win10 Pro 64Bit
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 P13046 =2900XT 3dmark vantage P4614 =2900XT
When? im 31 now :laugh:

Oh and middle sized is better than small were can i get my viagra?

:laugh: Yes where is our viagra so we can more fun :roll:

Deusxmachina