• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
If I remember correctly you can own a gun in the UK it just depends on calibre and barrel length, nothing concealed I think a pistol needs a barrel length of atleast 12 inches or something.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
Did not know that. Thought UK banned personal firearms/hand guns.
There was an armistice years ago mainly because anyone could get a gun licence for a few quid down the post office before that kids could legally carry a shotgun at 16. They wanted tighter gun control so brought in a far more strict licencing system, with weird stipulations about barrel length and other things.
I don't know where the lie about the UK outright banning guns came from but even the majority of British people believe it so never look into guns for personal defence.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
There was an armistice years ago mainly because anyone could get a gun licence for a few quid down the post office before that kids could legally carry a shotgun at 16. They wanted tighter gun control so brought in a far more strict licencing system, with weird stipulations about barrel length and other things.
I don't know where the lie about the UK outright banning guns came from but even the majority of British people believe it so never look into guns for personal defence.
I think you've been away for a while. The police must vet every application for a firearm in the UK. There has to be a legitimate purpose to own a gun and checks are carried out. Farmers and rural folk can get shotgun licences for livestock control. But Joe public require good standing and reason to own what is legal to buy. There are always loopholes but it's far more controlled than you suggest.

Hell, a crossbow is classified as a firearm in the UK. Basically, you might be able to acquire a firearm but you're screwed if you don't have a license for it.

Edit. This is just a small portion of the law:

3.3 Those weapons and ammunition which are prohibited consist of:

i) any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger (section 5(1)(a));

Section 5(1)(a) includes weapons such as machine guns, sub-machine guns, chain guns and the so-called ‘burst-fire’ weapons in which several missiles (typically 3-5) are discharged in succession on a single application of the trigger. Case law also suggests that the courts should consider the actual operation of the firearm rather than the intent of the designers.
ii) any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun other than one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges (section 5(1)(ab));

Section 5(1)(ab) includes carbines, which are included in the definition of a rifle in section 57(4) of the 1968 Act. Originally, a carbine was a short musket or rifle intended for use by mounted troops, but the term has come to mean any rifle with a short barrel.

Also caught in this category are the so-called ‘hybrid’ firearms such as the Colt Armalite AR-15 ‘pistol’. These weapons are self-loading versions of long arms made to operate in self-loading mode only and sold without a shoulder stock. The term ‘automatic’ is also sometimes incorrectly applied to self-loading pistols.

iii) any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30 centimetres in length or is less than 60 centimetres in length overall, other than an air weapon, a muzzle-loading gun or a firearm designed as signalling apparatus (section 5(1)(aba));

Section 5(1)(aba) affects small firearms that are easily concealed. Muzzle-loading firearms (including cap and ball revolvers) and flare pistols are excluded. It should be remembered that the 1997 Act did not ban pistols as such and was drafted in terms of small firearms. NB: section 5(1)(aba) includes ‘specially dangerous’ air pistols and ‘specially dangerous’ short air rifles.

..and it goes on.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
I think you've been away for a while. The police must vet every application for a firearm in the UK. There has to be a legitimate purpose to own a gun and checks are carried out. Farmers and rural folk can get shotgun licences for livestock control. But Joe public require good standing and reason to own what is legal to buy. There are always loopholes but it's far more controlled than you suggest.

Hell, a crossbow is classified as a firearm in the UK. Basically, you might be able to acquire a firearm but you're screwed if you don't have a license for it.

Edit. This is just a small portion of the law:

3.3 Those weapons and ammunition which are prohibited consist of:

i) any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger (section 5(1)(a));

Section 5(1)(a) includes weapons such as machine guns, sub-machine guns, chain guns and the so-called ‘burst-fire’ weapons in which several missiles (typically 3-5) are discharged in succession on a single application of the trigger. Case law also suggests that the courts should consider the actual operation of the firearm rather than the intent of the designers.
ii) any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun other than one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges (section 5(1)(ab));

Section 5(1)(ab) includes carbines, which are included in the definition of a rifle in section 57(4) of the 1968 Act. Originally, a carbine was a short musket or rifle intended for use by mounted troops, but the term has come to mean any rifle with a short barrel.

Also caught in this category are the so-called ‘hybrid’ firearms such as the Colt Armalite AR-15 ‘pistol’. These weapons are self-loading versions of long arms made to operate in self-loading mode only and sold without a shoulder stock. The term ‘automatic’ is also sometimes incorrectly applied to self-loading pistols.

iii) any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30 centimetres in length or is less than 60 centimetres in length overall, other than an air weapon, a muzzle-loading gun or a firearm designed as signalling apparatus (section 5(1)(aba));

Section 5(1)(aba) affects small firearms that are easily concealed. Muzzle-loading firearms (including cap and ball revolvers) and flare pistols are excluded. It should be remembered that the 1997 Act did not ban pistols as such and was drafted in terms of small firearms. NB: section 5(1)(aba) includes ‘specially dangerous’ air pistols and ‘specially dangerous’ short air rifles.

..and it goes on.
The legitimate purpose being part of a shooting club the law might sound harsh but if you store a weapon properly and join a shooting club that's all there is too it, as long as the gun meets there strict criteria and your not a total fruitcake ( think you need a psych evaluation).

D

Deleted member 24505

People who have been gun club members and stored guns properly have gone nuts and killed multiple people in the UK, imo close the clubs and have no one but farmer piles with his 4-10 varmint gun have them.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Yes but the prohibited weapons are still illegal. So single shot only. Certain other parameters, and as you say, adding a psych eval makes it less straight forward to legally own a firearm.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
People who have been gun club members and stored guns properly have gone nuts and killed multiple people in the UK, imo close the clubs and have no one but farmer piles with his 4-10 varmint gun have them.
Considering the majority of MP's goto said gun clubs the likelihood of that is slim.

Yes but the prohibited weapons are still illegal. So single shot only. Certain other parameters, and as you say, adding a psych eval makes it less straight forward to legally own a firearm.
Don't get me wrong it's still far harder to own a gun in the UK compared to say the US which is obviously a good thing. I'm just trying to point out, the belief that guns are outright banned in the UK as many believe, is a lie.

Don't get me wrong it's still far harder to own a gun in the UK compared to say the US which is obviously a good thing.
Ridiculously harder. For example, where I live, I can legally buy and own a 50cal sniper rifle, fully suppressed and a number of handguns. That list rounds out my gun safe contents. We can lawfully conceal-carry(and I often do) without the need of a license and we have stand-our-ground laws. Since those restrictions were removed the amount of serious crimes, and specifically gun crimes, have dropped like a stone. The fact that the general public can carry and everyone knows it is a very excellent deterrent for a great many potential criminals. If would-be criminals know it is very likely for them to be shot/killed for even attempting a crime, they don't try. Training and arming the public has been an exceptionally effective crime deterrent. There are many parts of the rest of the nation are following suit because it works. The UK has yet to figure this out.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
The UK is the country where you have to be at least 18 to buy plastic cutlery, while condoms are sold to anyone.

D

Deleted member 24505

I don't think the UK has the mentality for anyone carrying a concealed pistol.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
The UK is the country where you have to be at least 18 to buy plastic cutlery, while condoms are sold to anyone.

What's your point? I'm not sure about your plastic cutlery comment but at least having condoms stops unwanted pregnancy.

And in the absence of guns, knives are our lethal alternative.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
What's your point? I'm not sure about your plastic cutlery comment but at least having condoms stops unwanted pregnancy.

Well, I find it difficult to think about plastic knives being used as weapons. I can't in my wildest dreams imagine why they are age restricted. I remember having them at birthday parties when I was 4.

Condoms on the other hand, are useless below a certain age. Although, when I look at 20 year-olds with 2-3 children already, I guess selling them freely actually makes some sense. :ohwell:

So is a hammer, a screwdriver, a cricket bat and any other manner of everyday items. As it has always been, the weapons are not the problem, the disturbed people using them are.
Which in recent times have been proven to be very lethal indeed.
Exactly. Take away one form of weapon and the deranged among us will fashion others.

Weapons control is not the correct solution, never has been and never will be. Deterrence IS the correct solution. And where I live, it is proving to be VERY effective. Not perfect, but effective. Perfection is an illusion.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Weapons control is not the correct solution, never has been and never will be. Deterrence IS the correct solution. And where I live, it is proving to be VERY effective. Not perfect, but effective. Perfection is an illusion.

The knee-jerk reaction (from a UK standpoint) is to disagree but to be honest, what you say isn't without merit. However, bad folk will always be bad, and killers will always kill so access to weapons that can kill many in a short space doesn't seem right. Double however, as the 9/11 hijackers, or any car terror attack has shown, even vehicles can be used too.

If I lived in the continental states, I'd have a gun for sure. That might surprise some folks here. I've also got extreme views on violent offenders , so probably better I don't have one.

D

Deleted member 24505

I dislike that some people including the pieces of shit that killed Lee Rigby, continues to breathe and even has the government of the soldier they killed pay for them to still live. If i'd have been in charge they would have been kicked to death by Lee Rigbys squad mates.

Software Windows 10 Pro
So is a hammer, a screwdriver, a cricket bat and any other manner of everyday items. As it has always been, the weapons are not the problem, the disturbed people using them are.

Exactly. Take away one form of weapon and the deranged among us will fashion others.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, it's the European way to not educate people, but instead ban everything and live in a nanny state where you can't even fart without the ignorant plebs policing your every action.

Oh, I feel you. I have an especially unpleasant opinion of people who harm children, something along the lines of "They do not deserve to continue breathing!".
I also have that unpleasant opinion on rapists.

Unfortunately, it's the European way to not educate people, but instead ban everything and live in a nanny state where you can't even fart without the ignorant plebs policing your every action.
Deliberate ignorance and imposed stupidity... Now where have we seen that before...

Software Windows 10 Pro